• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Buying a AC15 next week. Final Questions about it.

yoshiii

Hello,

Next week I am buying a Vox AC15c1 next week. I got it at a good price, 599, cheaper than the now price of 899. It is new.

Is this still a good buy? How can I get closer to 60's AC15 sound? I know Celestian Blues are good speaker. What about tubes? Should I change out the stock tubes? Should I do the bright clip mod?

If I dont buy it I will maybe buy the Origin amp.

Jimmy MAck

Tubes? It depends on what tubes are already in it. Mine shipped with a broken pre-amp tube, so I replaced it and all was right. I then swapped the stock power tubes for some good NOS military grade EL84's. Then I tried different pre-amp tubes (I had a bunch to play with), some new, some old. Can't remember what worked best, but it was probably an EI. They're not as consistent or reliable as other tubes, but what a great tone! JJ's I had were too dark, so was a Mullard I have. Sovtek LPS were good. I may be out of date on my tube knowledge since I haven't swapped any or tried any new ones in a couple of years, but it is definitely worth the experimentations

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Is this still a good buy?
Yes. If you can get one at the old price, I'd consider it a good buy.

How can I get closer to 60's AC15 sound?
Buy an amp with an EF86 front end. The AC15C1 is nothing like a 60s AC15, it's closer to a 15W version of the AC-30. Which 60's AC15 variant have you played that you want the sound of? There were a number of different versions.
I know Celestian Blues are good speaker.
Celestion Blues are a good speaker...but if you're buying the $599 priced AC15, it's going to be loaded with a Greenback.
What about tubes? Should I change out the stock tubes?
I don't see any need too, unless you don't like the sound of them. Did you play an AC15C1 and find the tone to be lacking? A tube swap won't make it into a 60's AC15, as you'd be swapping in the same tube types so the changes are small.
Should I do the bright clip mod?
Bright clip? You mean clipping the bright cap? Which channel on the AC15C1 do you find to be overly bright?

Axe-Man

Buy a mint second hand unit with a Blue. Enjoy.

If you want to use it for gain at lower volumes, consider a bright cap mod by putting it on a switch. It’s a second hand consumer amp, so no worries about this. Otherwise don’t worry.

Tubes…fancy 6P14P Russian NOS are still affordable and available. Else grab a mix of modern quality tubes and roll them through the preamp ‘til you’re happy. EL84s…JJ or Sovtek work fine. Tubes refine but don’t radically change anything IMPO.

I agree with @fiveightandten; buy it, play it and see how it goes from the get go rather than planning to buy and mod. It’s a nice amp for the money. I liked mine.

mmmm...I'd stick with the stock Greenie and tubes; I think JJs are stock? But instead, focus on getting a good Rangemaster-style pedal to run with the normal channel. Look into clones on Reverb and the Catalinbread Naga Viper in general. Blammo makes a great Rangemaster as well as Laney's TI Custom.

If you want old school rock tones; that type of setup will 100% help in getting you there. Grabbing a Crowther Audio Hot Cake is another can't miss pedal.

yoshiii

mmmm...I'd stick with the stock Greenie and tubes; I think JJs are stock? But instead, focus on getting a good Rangemaster-style pedal to run with the normal channel. Look into clones on Reverb and the Catalinbread Naga Viper in general. Blammo makes a great Rangemaster as well as Laney's TI Custom.

If you want old school rock tones; that type of setup will 100% help in getting you there. Grabbing a Crowther Audio Hot Cake is another can't miss pedal.
I have a Naga Viper so cool

I have a Naga Viper so cool
Oh dude; you're set lol. Use the more "traditional Rangemaster" trebly setting on the normal channel and run it on more of a full range setting with the top boost channel. I have an AC15c1 with the stock greenie and see no need to swap it IMHO. Give it a go first and see what you think.

yoshiii

Oh dude; you're set lol. Use the more "traditional Rangemaster" trebly setting on the normal channel and run it on more of a full range setting with the top boost channel. I have an AC15c1 with the stock greenie and see no need to swap it IMHO. Give it a go first and see what you think.
Thanks
Whats the tradional range master setting?

Hoyt102

I had a C1 about 10 years ago. It was a great amp, better than my Maz18, Savage, Victoria, various Fender reissues, etc. Would have saved a bunch had I bought one earlier.

I put a Celestion Blue in it, a full size reverb tank, retubed with NOS Bimars and Mullards, and cut the bright cap.

Don’t play electric anymore, but if I were to go back, I’d buy another. The tremolo and upgraded reverb were heaven. Still have some of the tubes and the Celestion stored away, just in case.

Thanks
Whats the tradional range master setting?
Heat all the way right and Range all the way right. That should give you the closest to a stock Rangemaster, then most people just ran them full tilt...so max the boost knob from there lol.

But turn the Range knob all the way left for a full range boost that'll work better with the top boost channel. All of the in-between stuff is fine, but those are at least the two more common "this is it" ways of using that pedal with a Vox AC.

WillLane

Is this still a good buy? How can I get closer to 60's AC15 sound? I know Celestian Blues are good speaker. What about tubes? Should I change out the stock tubes? Should I do the bright clip mod?
Tubes? It depends on what tubes are already in it. Mine shipped with a broken pre-amp tube, so I replaced it and all was right. I then swapped the stock power tubes for some good NOS military grade EL84's.

Hate to say, but I'd argue that even NOS tubes aren't going to make an C1 sound like a 60's holy grail AC15. The circuit design matters much more here.

I would say changing out the stock tubes is still valuable, though, as they ship with some fairly "okay" tubes at best. JJ ECC803s and JJ EL84's are a great choice for modern production.

$599 for a new AC15C1 is a pretty good deal, although you can still find it for cheaper secondhand and still end up with the same product (and with some extra money for a tube swap).

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
My friend in Vt just mentioned to me yesterday he was selling an exc shape AC15C1 for 350.00 with a footswitch (and the GB speaker it comes with) . . He doesn't ship anything and lives in the boonies in VT, but if one of you is up this way and wants a hell of a deal, I figured I'd post this after reading this thread. I would gladly get you his info as he's not on the forums. If not, good luck to the OP and enjoy the amp :)

Eric

Omi79

The speaker is fine, no need to clip bright cap. I would recommend Russian 6P14P and a good NOS V1 preamp tube, Mullard, GE, keep the master high and use the normal channel, cut switch is essential for lower volumes.

Oh hey...another fun idea is to grab a cheap ABY box. Now you can switch between channels or even blend both channels, which actually sounds pretty good.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
First, I know we all go through phases in our musical quest...but stop obsessing about tubes, speakers, etc...before you even own the amp. Own it....get to know it...use the controls....figure out what works and what needs help, but give it at least a month so you have a bassline and let the thing break in. They are fine amps...after some time I changed the V1 tube to a JJ and it made it a lot less shrill. That's all I needed to do.

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
If you like the sound then just enjoy it. If you want to do a speaker upgrade, I suggest a creamback. Cheaper than the alnico but still a big improvement in sound to my ears. Better than the stock chinese made greenback that comes with it.

yoshiii

Got the Vox.

Attachments

• IMG_0076 (1).jpg
    IMG_0076 (1).jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 6

Tankmbt

Congrats! I really dig my ac15c1 for the home based playing I do.

I agree with the sentiment of playing it for awhile to see what you feel it needs. I ended up switching tubes out in mine, seemed to help a great deal. Granted the amp was used when I bought it and going on seven years old.

Look for a female into 2x male cord adapter to run both channels at once or an a/b/y splitter. Both at once seems a little fatter to my ears.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom