Buying a AXE III for a low'ish price locally. What should I inspect/test?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MJ Slaughter, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

I'm a skeptic but I hope it works out:aok... I'm interested see what the results will be.

2. Elric

Elric Member

Well, at least you are going into it with eyes opened and know the risks. You know what they say, be careful when you look into the AxeFx for the AxeFx also looks into you.

Being crazy isn't all bad,necessarily. It worked out for Ozzy.

Best of luck and godspeed.

3. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

[​IMG]

I guess it really is a AXE III and as far as I can tell everything is working flawlessly. So far this thing is a bit intimidating and I'm sure it will take a couple weeks before I might be ready to gig with it. It was sobering seeing all that gear in a 4 car garage just stacked everywhere. I asked the friend what the owner did with it all because there were countless rack effects, power conditioners etc in a pile of rack cases spanning the length of the wall. Keyboards, amps, cabs, drums, percussion, pedals, controllers guitars, stands, violin, Dulcimer, bass guitars, vocal processors, mixers and on and on. He said nothing really. Jammed a bit with friends but never used much of it at all and suspected he just enjoyed buying stuff. Made me think I hope I can sell off the little bit of gear I have before I eat dirt for my wife's sake.

Now to determine if I have the patience to learn how to use this thing!

4. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Load up the editor and use the editor. The front panel is a PITA to use compared to the computer.

Modelers are great for recording and running direct. It's much harder to get them to sound great sitting next to an amp. Be patient and resist the urge to dump it.

If you are trying to get it to sound like a real amp then run it with in 4CM and you'll probably be able to really enjoy what it can do with a minimum of frustration.

But you easily use it like for effects in front of your amp and it'll blow you away how great the modeling is.

Have fun and take a long term approach to getting used to it. It's an incredibly powerful tool - resist the urge to explore everything about it all at once because it's overwhelming.

MJ Slaughter likes this.
  5. ZenArcade

ZenArcade Member

Awesome score. Now dust that thing off. :p

6. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

7. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

I’d say this was the deal of the year, but....you know....someone had to die to make it happen.

Elantric likes this.
  8. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I bet there are plenty of members here just like that guy, with more gear than they know what to do with. Shoot, I'm getting there slowly but surely.

9. Elric

Elric Member

Please send pics of the rest of the gear and contact info for the living friend. :p

10. Lord N

Lord N Member

TGP - All the gear but no idea.

11. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu Member

I'm so jealous of you for getting such an amazing deal! I'm gassing hard for an Axe FxIII myself, but don't want to spend 2500 dollars, especially when I already own a Line 6 Helix Floor and a bunch of software ampsims.

12. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

Hell of a deal. I paid $1600 for my minty "3" used and everyone gave me an atta' boy. The biggies would be making sure all the front panel functions, all outputs works and the USB still communicates with a PC/MAC of some sort.
    At that price you could ship it back to FAS and have them go over it and still be under market value.

It is a GREAT piece of gear!!

13. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

I'll do you a favor and buy it from you for $1K,that's a nice 10% profit plus an extra $10.I'll even pay the shipping.:D

14. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

Congratz, enjoy. Take a look at Austin Buddy's Naked Amp pack for the III. I'm not great at making my own presets, these are fantastic IMHO.

Slash likes this.
  15. Lord N

Lord N Member

No.

ZenArcade likes this.
  16. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

Best investment I made for the Axe Fx III

17. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

Ill buy it right now for $900.

MJ Slaughter likes this.