• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Buying a BF Super Reverb

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
I'm buying a BF Super Reverb this Spring and want to load the chassis into a 2x10 cab.
Looking for suggestions on cab company's and speakers.
Right now I'm leaning towards Ceramic or Alnico Tone Tubby's but not sure where to start with a cab....Mojo Tone?
Any/all comments welcome!

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I just bought a bf super reverb and a pair of ceramic and a pair of alnico tone tubbies for it haha. I'll give you a report when they arrive and I hook them up if you want. I am looking for warmer high end out of the amp.

As for the cab I would highly recommend getting a Mather cab for a 2x10. I've had Peter build me a few cabs and each one was awesome. My amp tech commented on the great tolex job he did on a blackface cab and he sees hundreds of amps every year....

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
In all honesty, why not just buy a Vibrolux Reverb? The only reason I would even go for a Super over the Vibrolux would be if I wanted a 4x10

woof*

In all honesty, why not just buy a Vibrolux Reverb? The only reason I would even go for a Super over the Vibrolux would be if I wanted a 4x10
Agree, most the magic is the 4x10's. You also need to consider the wattage and ohms.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
If he's getting a reissue then I agree but vintage vibrolux reverbs are twice the money of super reverbs. You would still save money with buying speakers and a new cab.

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Agree, most the magic is the 4x10's. You also need to consider the wattage and ohms.
If he's getting a reissue then I agree but vintage vibrolux reverbs are twice the money of super reverbs. You would still save money with buying speakers and a new cab.
Yeah, it's a 1969 that's been Blackfaced. Buying it from a close friend at a very fair price. Want something easier to haul around than a 4x10.
Could by this amp 2, maybe 3 times for what some BF Vibrolux's are going for.

woof*

Yeah, it's a 1969 that's been Blackfaced. Buying it from a close friend at a very fair price. Want something easier to haul around than a 4x10.
ATA case with wheels. Best investment. Pop it out of the van..and roll in.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Ahh... thought you were looking for one in general, not at one specifically. Still, after gigging a sf Twin Reverb for years, I'd rock the 4x10 like nobody's business.

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
I hear ya!
My main rig right now is:
Bogner XTC Classic (Dry amp) & StoneAge 2x12C loaded with Scholz Drivers
Bogner XTC 20th (Wet amp) & StoneAge 2x12C loaded with Creambacks

Not afraid of lugging gear!
LoL
Would like something easier to cart to small gigs and rehearsals.

Jmg11986

4x10 magic > 2x10 but hey I'm biased. I do love vibroluxes and can see your point on the prices. I really love my 65 BF SR with the 410s but boy is it heavy and not fun to haul up steps.......

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a bf super reverb and a pair of ceramic and a pair of alnico tone tubbies for it haha. I'll give you a report when they arrive and I hook them up if you want. I am looking for warmer high end out of the amp.

As for the cab I would highly recommend getting a Mather cab for a 2x10. I've had Peter build me a few cabs and each one was awesome. My amp tech commented on the great tolex job he did on a blackface cab and he sees hundreds of amps every year....
Please let me know what you think of those speakers!!!!!!

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
^ you got it! They will be here this weekend. I've heard hemp cone speakers take a long time to break in so I've got to keep that in mind. I'll let you know my first impression though.

crazyneddie

Yeah please report back I am interested in a couple Tubby alnico's to replace a couple blown CTS Alnicos in my 68 super reverb.

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Bump for new cab and speaker suggestions.
Who makes a good sounding cab I can drop this chassis in???

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Who's building good new cabs for a Super Reverb?
2x10 or 4x10....
JDesign?
Mojo?
Others???????

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
Remember that the super is 2 ohm, so you'll need a pair of 4 ohm speakers in parallel. You could also change the output transformer to a 4 or 8 ohm unit. Not sure what replacements would fit the super reverb's footprint.

I would probably go the transformer route to make buying speakers easier, since most are 8 ohms.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom