Buying a BF Super Reverb

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Ok so the tone tubbies came in. Right away they sound really good, however I know that they will take awhile to break in. The amp still has plenty of brightness if you want just not as much as the old cts speakers. Really my settings haven't even changed hardly. Definitely a lot heavier though but it's a heavy combo to begin with so I don't care. Overall I'm happy so far and would recommend them for sure.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Agree, most the magic is the 4x10's. You also need to consider the wattage and ohms.
Woof* makes a good point. Output on a BFSR is 2 ohms while most other Fenders are 4 ohm, this to match the 4 speakers config.

I think a BFSR has 4 x 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load where the VR, Pro and Twin all have 2 x 8 ohms in parallel for 4 ohms. With 2 speakers you'd wanna use 2 x 4 ohm speakers in parallel and a 2 ohm load for max efficiency/ volume. It wouldn't hurt anything to run 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm load, but you'd lose a little volume and maybe headroom.

Ooops, wrote this and forgot to post it - I agree with RockinRob86 above.

Thanks, Dana O.

woof*

Woof* makes a good point. Output on a BFSR is 2 ohms while most other Fenders are 4 ohm, this to match the 4 speakers config.

I think a BFSR has 4 x 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load where the VR, Pro and Twin all have 2 x 8 ohms in parallel for 4 ohms. With 2 speakers you'd wanna use 2 x 4 ohm speakers in parallel and a 2 ohm load for max efficiency/ volume. It wouldn't hurt anything to run 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm load, but you'd lose a little volume and maybe headroom.

Ooops, wrote this and forgot to post it - I agree with RockinRob86 above.

Thanks, Dana O.

This is correct.....plus if you go 2 x10...you really will lose the magic. Over the years here on TPG there have been a few that did this, I recall one that after a couple gigs he put it back into 4x10. For cabs I love JD Newell's cabs..he's made me several over the years. My favorite tens for SR are the old G35 celestions..they really a perfect fit for this amp. More power and clean in the way EVM 10's sound, but a little looser with a lot less weight.

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Weber makes quite a few nice 10" speakers at 4 ohm.
I've heard a conversion in person, it was great.
In fact a well known slide player heard recordings of that particular amp and tried to purchase it (he uses Supers fairly exclusively).

I may leave it as a 4x10 as long as it doesn't weigh a ton.
But I'm in my research phase right now and am looking at any/all options.

shelshaf

I had originally thought of taking my BFSR down to a 2x10 as well, but it really does lose a lot of the character. But, if you've already heard it and it's your taste, more power to you. I personally plan to tackle the weight issue by dropping the chassis into a head and keeping the old cabinet as is. That should easily make each component much easier to handle. If my Jensen C10R equipped '67 weighs 55 lbs., does anybody have a guess as to how much the cab would weigh without the chassis? How about the chassis plus the new head cab?

jcs

You can always mix a 10 & 12 speaker as well....it can work VERY well imo as I've tried this with many of my amps.

ifailedshapes

Gold Supporting Member
I just picked up a Super Reverb reissue, and I was planning on transforming it into a head/cab. However, much to my dismay, the Super Reverb's transformer is designed for a 2 Ohm output. When was the last time you saw a 2 Ohm cab?

Bob Pollock

Altes Holz
Gold Supporting Member
This is my '74. I went with JD Newell for the cabinet, and 4 ohm Jensen Mod 10-50's. Could not be happier.
1453314_574671619286459_877183840_n.jpg

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
This is correct.....plus if you go 2 x10...you really will lose the magic. Over the years here on TPG there have been a few that did this, I recall one that after a couple gigs he put it back into 4x10. For cabs I love JD Newell's cabs..he's made me several over the years. My favorite tens for SR are the old G35 celestions..they really a perfect fit for this amp. More power and clean in the way EVM 10's sound, but a little looser with a lot less weight.

I like the way you think!

I had some structural issues with the cabinet from a '69 Super Reverb that I had bought (to the point that the baffle was a mess). I did some research and got a great cab from JD Newell. What speakers am I using? I'm using a cross of Celestion G10L-35s and G10N-40s and I really love it. I think I like it even more than my Vibrolux Reverb with Celestion Golds.

I really do think there's something to having those extra 2x10'' speakers. The clarity, the punch and the sheer dispersion of sound makes it that much more addicting.

timsmcm

Does there happen to be any amp out there that sounds more glorious than a blackface super reverb? My favorite.

Richeray

Silver Supporting Member
Well... as sometimes happens..... the seller changed his mind, and decided not to sell it........ Sorry J. :hide2

timsmcm

For clean tones or a clean platform for pedals I don't think there is!
I agree 100% plus I also love the amp right at breakup, where you can go from big thick bell like cleans to real bluesy crunch with your pick hand. Wonderful.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom