Buying a Drip Edge Bassman: what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by viggersster, Mar 28, 2015.

1. viggersster

viggersster Member

I am completely ignorant when it comes to vintage amps, but I am looking at a 1968 Drip Edge Bassman with the AB165 circuit.

What should I look for before buying and what questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Have the filter caps been replaced? (they to wear out) Was the amp converted to a three prong AC cord?

I would also want to take a look at the transformer codes and look at the innards to see what is and what is not original.

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Agree with Riffmeister. I'm a Bassman guy myself. Definitely make sure it's a true 68 drip edge. If it is, it's the AB165 circuit, which is fantastic. If the bias circuit has been modded to the true BF bias circuit (a la the AA864 circuit), that's a good thing. If it's not and you snag it, make that mod. Well worth it for tone and biasing.

Any photos?

4. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

5. viggersster

viggersster Member

6. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

That is one i've been eyeing... I have a couple Bassman heads already or that one wouldn't have been available for you to buy.

I hope it it is all it appears to be from the listing... Looks to be almost 50% off what a Blackface version of the same circuit would sell for.

7. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

The seller needs to yank the chassis and take several, clear, gut shots.
    Nice looking amp btw.......

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

+1. gut shots are mandatory for a vintage amp. You need to know whats going on in there. You cant believe some of the sh!t that is done to these amps through the years.

I would also request a pic of the filter caps on the underside of the chassis. If they are original caps they may be leaking

9. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Be prepared to give step by step instructions on how to remove / replace the chassis for those photos.

I've had to walk more than one seller through the steps.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

A buddy of mine has one. Someone replaced all the carbon comp resistors with carbon film. That must have been a nasty bill. I wouldn't do that...replace bad resistors and limited plates with RN65 if the customer wants a smoother attack...so you do want some gut shots. I consider all drip edge models to be 'collectable'.

11. viggersster

viggersster Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Everything looks original with the possible exception of the white cap and the resistors on the powertube sockets. Its clean too....cleaner than my old '68.

IMO, if you want to play the amp as opposed to putting it on display as a relic, then yes your need to replace the filter caps. They dont "look" leaky but I seriously doubt that 47 year old caps are working to their rated specs.

I would have a tech mod the amp to AA864, give you a 3 prong power cord and replace the filter caps. Its a GREAT amp and possibly the best pedal platform ever. I ran min through a Marshall 1965a 4x10 with a pedalboard and it was amazing. Wish i still had it and right now I'm kicking myself for selling.