Buying a hybrid car

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by redragon, Jul 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

I've been thinking that my next car will be a hybrid. As such, I've been doing lots or reading and research.

The conclusion I am coming to is that hybrid cars may be on the wane, as gas prices stay stable and manufacturers (lookin' as you Honda) seem to be pulling away from that technology.

Straight electrics aside, what do you think is the future of the hybrid?

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

In reality the oil fields of the world are running out of oil and it is only a matter of time before fossil fuels become extinct... When that time is nobody knows. Ultimately the future in cars trucks, trains and motorcycles is in electric powered vehicles. For now who knows?

Hamer95USA and StanG like this.
  3. spunky

spunky Member

It really depends on where you live. Hybrids make sense in city or suburban environments....lots of traffic lights and stop signs....but once you get out of that the initial cost of the vehicle doesn't make financial sense. I live in an area where going out my driveway to the right there are no stop signs or traffic lights for 60 miles.....and then, only one light for another 50 miles. Out to the left I have two lights for 25 miles.....so....I'd be using the engine just about the whole time. I like the idea of the hybrid.....and if the prices were lowered to equal a full combustion car I might go for it anyway. So, to answer your question....manufacturers would have to lower the price of hybrids to compete.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  4. wombat66

wombat66 Member

From what I can tell gas prices have risen about 33% in the last year and are continuing to rise. I don't sense stability here, and as mentioned earlier the long term outlook for gasoline is not so good, and the gulf states are desperately trying to diversify their economies.

Peteyvee and Boris Bubbanov like this.
  5. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

I had terrible resale/trade value on the one I owned, it was cool getting 50mpgs but took a beating on the trade in...

6. redragon

I should mention that I live in the northeast and am in stop and go traffic for at least 40 minutes a day, if not more.

I'm not a trade in guy, I run them until they are dead.

caffeiniac, sahhas and standard24 like this.
  7. redragon

8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Just bought a ‘14 Prius, I like it, think it gets around 40mph, I have the V, the smaller ones get a little better. I watched the Apex documentary again a week ago, it’s about the world of hyper cars, a lot of them are going hybrid, someone on the show said there is supposed to be about 58 years Of oil left, said at some pt it won’t be cost effective to drill for it. This all said, I’m still wanting a corvette to drive, living out my childhood dreams

redragon likes this.
  9. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I recently looked at the various Honda hybrids...5k to 10K more than a standard 2018 Civic....their estimated highway mileage was 45 mpg....ended up buying a new 2018 standard Civic....it gets 38-40 mpg....but cost thousands less.

10. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

My favorite hybrid type car is the BMW i3.

It's an electric motor driven car with the option of a small 2 cylinder engine used as a range extending generator.

I really don't like idling a gas engine at stop lights and during stop and go traffic.

[​IMG]

michael c likes this.
  11. Kevbo599

Kevbo599 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Camry Hybrid that I love, it is the best car I have ever owned (and I’ve owned about 20 cars including sports cars, 4wd, etc.).

12. mikebat

mikebat Member

The day an electric car does not require me to alter my driving habits in any way except fueling, is the day I start to seriously consider them. I have no love for oil companies and don’t think I owe them my patronage, but I do not want a tiny plastic vehicle, bombarding me with cutesy graphics of leaves or green hearts to indicate I am saving the planet. I do not want a vehicle that has a range of less than 14 hours.

I am ready to pay a premium for it, but not more than the price of a gas car, plus 50% of the cost of fueling it. If and when I switch over, make it worth my while.

R3deemed and Trandy like this.
  13. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I want one badly, my sister has had 4 Prius' over the years with fantastic results.

StanG likes this.
  14. hellbender

hellbender Member

True. Other than short term anomalies, the price of fossil fuels is up

15. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Prius is great. Saved over $1K per year in gas. Not sporty, but comfortable for long drives. Even on the highway, 50MPG i@ 70mph is achieved because the motor is helping the engine (ICE), so both city and highway driving benefit from the battery. Plug in Prius if you want the flexibility of going all electric for short distances, yet the flexibility of using gas for long trips or without waiting to charge up.

16. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

If you live in California you need a hybrid or electric vehicle because the state has and will continue to increase fuel taxes. But, but, but.... you will also pay more taxes if you own a high mileage vehicle because you are not contributing your fair share of gas tax for road construction and maintenance. These taxes will be applied to annual registration and license fees. So, when you purchase high mpg vehicle keep the total cost in mind.

17. s2y

s2y Member

I'd probably get one just to keep my gas consumption to a minimum and fill up less often.

tedm likes this.
  18. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

We have a '05 Prius that is nearing the 200k mile mark and it's still a great running car. Gets 45 - 50mpg on trips depending on the season/gas. A friend of mine bought a '015, or '016 Honda Civic with a standard and he's getting close to the same milage.

redragon and s2y like this.
  19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

They actually do have a pretty good idea. And it won't be in your lifetime.

tonyhay and Sidney Vicious like this.
  20. Jisatsu

Jisatsu Member

Been running a hybrid commuter car for the past 4 years. Was tired of paying just over $600 a month in gas for a truck. Cut it down to $120 a month for gas back when I first switched, and now that I commute a shorter distance I'm putting roughly $80 a month into gas.

Of course I've put over 100k miles on it in 4 years, but I bought it to drive it into the ground.

My best advice is to buy used and test drive as many as you can. The resale value of these things drops like crazy because people buy them to put miles on them. Lucky for me I had the batteries swapped for fresh OEM ones when I got mine by the dealer no charge (saved me around $3k). Mine has been absolutely reliable during the 100k I put on mine.

Also gas prices have gone up a lot here in WA over the last year. I'm glad I'm not putting more than 8 gallons a refill in my tank every week.

Though if I had a little bit shorter commute I'd consider an electric only leaf. Sadly some days I drive around 75 to 80 miles in a round trip and with traffic I don't want to chance running out of juice.