Buying a hybrid car

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by redragon, Jul 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Depends what kind of extensive driving you do. A lot of my trips are in the 400 mile range, and stopping to recharge would increase the time of the trip substantially (and sometimes make it unfeasible). I just drove to Wyoming and back, about 3,600 miles altogether, and there's some places out there where you can barely get decent gasoline (much less find a recharge station).

NotTheArrow likes this.
  2. sportycliff

sportycliff Member

Whatever has the best ROI, the bottom line is ALWAYS the best bet...

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think perhaps diesel cars are on the way out. Turns out, they were neither as efficient nor as low in emissions as claimed.

This means the car companies need something to fill that void, and so IMO, the hybrid is not going away. In fact, if they can get more battery efficiency and drive battery cost down, hybrids will get even more percentage share.

But some people have to carry a certain number of hundreds of pounds of load, and the hybrid rig uses up a lot of the load one can have in a car or SUV and still have suspension capacity for passengers and safety equipment. Same thing applies as to volume. Too much of the interior in the hybrid is lost - the room I need for camping and climbing and kayaking gear. I stow a mountain bike or two if I can; I just don't see how the typical hybrid has the excess weight or volume capacity and so I'm not an owner of a hybrid. But your needs sound very different. I think you're on a sound path, looking at them. I was always scared that people would get stuck with an older Prius with a high retained value and suddenly need a battery. IF these old Gen II Priuses are actually being bought and sold at $ 4,000 apiece, when the hybrid system fails out or a battery is needed, you can probably scrap it and get a good bit of that money back. It isn't like you're gonna be out $ 12,000.00

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

What if driving one vehicle for 275 miles makes the driver want to stop and put a bullet in his brain? While another ride enables him to drive 1,200 miles in one day and get a good day of work done the next day. Ergonomics and seating comfort and a sense of being in full control with no unnecessary onset of fatigue is a huge factor in vehicles, and they vary wildly in this regard and IMO, ROI never even factors in a dime for it. The ability to corner crisply, to stop cleanly, the actual feel of the steering, and the ability to make a sweeping, overtaking move around a truck on a mountain pass highway, the ability to keep yourself motivated to drive at your best because the vehicle "rewards" you; these are all things that nobody talks about when negotiating over a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 pickup. It is so good in so many other ways, we try not to notice. But this is why the buyer and the seller both have reasons to smile. And also not to smile.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. sportycliff

sportycliff Member

Some folks aren't TGP'ers and have household budgets...

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

And these folks buy Nissan Versa sedans or lease Hyundai Sonatas. They won't get the Hybrid unless the sales manager sees a surplus of the Hybrids in stock and decides these folks could use a break. All the budget customer knows is their monthly payment.

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Hybrids aren't an either/or when it comes to using the gasoline engine versus the electric assist--the electric kicks in when you accelerate in all circumstances, so your highway mileage is also improved.

8. Jacobite_Rebellion

Jacobite_Rebellion Member

I don't know about the future but at present the extra cost of a hybrid system will take about seven years to reach equity with a normal gas engine, and that's only if most of your driving is urban/suburban.

9. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

The problem is the cost to replace the batteries. Also, new technologies scare people.

10. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

this is my favorite hybrid:
    [​IMG]
    it was the test mule for the 918, always thought this was so cool!!! I guess if we're talking hybrid's I will never be able to afford!!

monstergirl, xzacx and bsacamano like this.
  11. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Ya, WA State is trying to pass that scam now. Always have their hands out for more money but spend foolishly like a drunken sailor.

12. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

At present, they will not work for me.
    Also, batteries are not the long term solution.

13. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Mainstream hybrids are pretty crappy to drive. Noisy, thanks to sound insulation being removed to save weight. Hard ride and poor handling thanks to low rolling resistance tires. Less power in most cases, which could be a safety issue.
    Luxury hybrids don’t provide nearly the fuel savings most buyers bank on. That combined with the driving quirks (such as the idle stop feature) that luxury buyers don’t want to put up with make them a one and done proposition. Three year lease and back to gas.
    The fuel economy benefits are biggest in around town driving, which is contrary to the argument that if you do a lot of driving you will save more.
    I can’t see picking a Prius over a Corolla or Civic. I certainly can’t see picking a Camry or Accord Hybrid over a cheaper and better equipped gas version. Not enough savings over the time I would keep a car to pay for the difference, especially in the context of the Hybrids being a poor choice for the driving I do most (45 mph back roads and highway cruising).
    All electric? Absolutely. Hybrid? Not so much

14. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

If I’m going 400 Miles, I’m flying, or wishing I was in Europe or Asia where a high speed rail option exists. To me the public options are preferable long term. Driving isn’t necessarily my idea of highest and best use of my time.

15. spunky

spunky Member

I have always been under the impression that in a hybrid....the electric kicked in only when going under 20 or 30mph. If I was wrong....I'm happy to be corrected.
    I will echo others in this thread though.....all electric...absolutely anxious to have the right one....when the prices come down and the range increases. I'd still like to have a more powerful American or European car around....for....you know.....fun. I know the top of the line Tesla is a powerful fun car to drive....but the price.....oy.

16. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

Do a google search for “fully charged” - it’s a youtube show aboue EV. Specifically watch the test of the new Nissan Leaf.
    It makes good sense for the majority of “non car-guy” commuters to go full electric. No emissions as long as the electric producers aren’t burning coal and easy to drive and maintain. Perhaps in many cases even safer if they are self-driving.

I’m against banning gasoline/diesel outright, just have incentives for average commuters to go electric.
    In my case I think whay will make sense is a small, low cost full electric commuter and a gas-only sports car.

17. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

What in the world are you driving with a 14 hour range and how do you hold your pee for that long?

Bluedawg likes this.
  18. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

re:
    well, I disagree with this, my '14 Prius V is pretty quiet, heck 1/2 the time you can't even hear the engine....and before this I was driving an '06 Volvo XC90 which had the 311HP V8 engine in it. I could hear that thing ALL THE TIME!!!!!
    And we drove the Prius to Chicago (3 hr drive) and back when we flew out of Chicago to London, it rides pretty nice, and my boys had enough room in the back (oldest is my height at 6-4 and youngest is 6-0). And it's plenty roomy for me to drive.
    It's not a flashy car, but gets you from A-B, and compared to my old Volvo XC90-i used to have to fill the tank up in that about every week, was usually about $35-39/fill-up. With my normal daily driving, I'm filling the Prius up every 3 weeks and it costs about $19.

19. Neenja

Neenja Member

I'd like to have a Tesla.

20. rsm

rsm Member

owned a '13 Prius until a few weeks ago; it was in very good condition and I got more than I expected in trade in. It's a good car IMO, it can be quick for what it is; in performance mode I surprised more than a few people accelerating from stopped. Lots of space for things for a car it's size. I purchased it when I was in a different life. Definitely good mileage IME. If you do most driving in urban / rush hour traffic, or do long highway trips, it's a good option.

Now: '18 Ford Explorer, AWD, with Class III tow package.