Buying a neck

pats

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a neck from USA Custom and it exceeded my expectations in every way.

From the phone call to place the order to the packing one of the gear buying experiences I have had.

Tele71

Platinum Supporting Member
I call guy at Warmoth, he accesses my history and sends me the same neck everytime. Unfinished they are 157 + shipping each and are of the highest quality. They need a little tweaking to get them set up properly but then it's go cat go!!!
Best
Paul

M55ikael

I have had two Musikraft necks (and two bodies), and sold one along with the body. I am very happy with the Clapton profile neck. It's probably the comfiest of all Strat necks I've tried, with the slightly beefier Jimmie Vaughan sig a close second. The fit and finish and fret work (ie. overall feel and impression of quality; the nitro lacquer was done elsewhere) is not on par with my Fender CS strat. One fret was high when I received my second neck, and had to be leveled to avoid buzzing.

Overall, I don't really feel the craftsmanship is on par with an American Fender neck, but the pro is that you get to completely spec the neck to your own wishes, and the materials they use are assuredly of high quality.

I've also tried Guitar Mill, something I wouldn't recommend. I have no experience with Warmoth.

beerijuana

My first purchase from Warmoth was back when they were known as "Boogie Bodies", excellent value and quality, over the years I've notice that both the value and quality has diminished. The last neck I bought from them was a "custom", I paid for ebony on rosewood, fretless jazz profile bass neck to replace a Bob Summers "Shark" neck that defied all means of straightening. I got an ebony on bubinga neck. That was about 8 years ago, it was about $500+ w/ tx and duty. When I inquired about it, they offered no discount and returning it would have been on my dime with a re-stock fee. Apparently, they didn't have any rosewood...

They ain't what they used to be.

I've had better dealings since with USA Custom

My first purchase from Warmoth was back when they were known as "Boogie Bodies", excellent value and quality, over the years I've notice that both the value and quality has diminished. The last neck I bought from them was a "custom", I paid for ebony on rosewood, fretless jazz profile bass neck to replace a Bob Summers "Shark" neck that defied all means of straightening. I got an ebony on bubinga neck. That was about 8 years ago, it was about $500+ w/ tx and duty. When I inquired about it, they offered no discount and returning it would have been on my dime with a re-stock fee. Apparently, they didn't have any rosewood...

They ain't what they used to be.

I've had better dealings since with USA Custom
Last time I bought a neck from them was like ten years ago. It was beautiful, but it seems like many feel they have gone down hill. In that case USACG probably is your best bet.

aT19er

I've had Warmoth and Mighty Mite, but honestly, my USA Custom Guitars neck is hands down the finest neck that I've had the pleasure of owning. With Warmoth there are a lot of options, sure, but there's equal at USACG. I spent about a month exchanging emails with Tommy Rosamond about neck specs, options, and ideas. He even went as far as ordering in a custom piece of wood and sending me pictures of it unfinished and with something on it that would show me what it would look like finished. Spend some time on the phone or with emails with Tommy, I'm positive that he'll make sure you get neck that not only fits your guitar but fits you as well.

XXTwighlight

Silver Supporting Member
I don't believe Warmoth offers rolled edges and roasted necks...if that's your thing.
I believe USACG & Musikraft do.

bigstar

USAcustomguitars, I've had warmoth before, but the quality right out the box with USACG was so much better, i.e. fretwork, wood, edges, etc. Their customer service is also a big part of why I like them over other places.

AXEL276

I bought a neck from Warmoth several years ago and am extremely pleased with it. I also bought some hardware from them which the box was opened at UPS, emptied, resealed and sent on to me. All Warmoth asked for was a photo of the box and they reshipped my order the next day (over $200), no other questions asked. I just ordered a 2nd strat neck from them yesterday. I looked over the USA Custom Guitars website just now. It looks like nice stuff and the guys here seem to like them. At a glance they do not seem to me to offer as many options and are definately more expensive. For now I'll stick with Warmoth.

buzzp

USACG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Warmoth

for necks. For bodies? Warmoth is fine. USACG just does necks better and has more options.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I've bought from Warmoth and Musikraft. They both make great necks. Musikraft lets you mix and match any feature you want. You can get a 12" fretboard radius with a totally slavishly detailed old vintage style Fender build. Warmoth wants you to by vintage spec with a 7.25 fretboard radius, or vintage modern which is a lot like your MIM neck, or Warmoth pro with a double acting heavy truss rod and laminated fingerboard even if your neck is all maple. I find Warmoth a bit "set in their ways". Warmoth likes to put really thick slab fingerboards on the vintage modern builds, wtf.

The HUGE advantage of Warmoth, however, is you can go to the showcase and pick a freakin neck, see the wood etc. This is better than Musikraft will do, or any other vendor unless they have something on E-bay.

I honestly think you can get a great neck from lots of people. Just decide exactly what you want and then communicate it to them.

Trending Topics