Buying a new Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bentayuk, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

My 2009 iMac is on its last legs and has served me well. I've decided I'm going to pick up a Mac Mini and a couple of new monitors.

The 2.4ghz i5 dual core, 8gb RAM, 1TB model looks just fine for my music / video editing needs.
    But I've found that there are some upgrades on the model that don't cost too much extra. Like upgrade to 16gb RAM.

Will the 16gb RAM be a good upgrade? Am I really going to notice it?

Following that, there is an upgrade to i7 core, but that's an extra $350. Which I don't really have.

I guess what I'm asking is, as the RAM upgrade isn't too much more, would it be good with the i5 core?

2. Sendrith

Sendrith Member

A couple things to consider:

1. You might be fine with a RAM and HD/SSD upgrade in your current iMac. RAM is cheap enough (I consider 16gb pretty standard for audio work these days). A 1TB SSD like this one would take you a long way. That's a stupid price for a 1TB SSD.

2. A Mac mini limits you just by the physical size of the machine. They are designed to be small and portable, not a high-end workstation. There is no upgrade path for practically every aspect of the machine. Want to add another hard drive? Well, that's too bad (Thunderbolt gear is ridiculously overpriced, most USB external hard drives are not geared towards things like audio streaming/recording. Whatever.)

3. If you're technically/computer inclined, consider the hackintosh route. It can be a bitch to set up but there are communities on the net that can help. My current rig has an i7, 32gb ram, 1x 250gb SSD, 1x 1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD that I (compared to buying an Apple) paid peanuts for. I'm a Logic user, and the price of Apple hardware made me look into alternative options and it's working out fine for me.

4. If you're not using Mac-specific software (Logic), consider switching to Windows. These days I doubt there's too large a gap with driver support for gear. Apple has a couple shady practices around their hardware that I don't agree with.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I bought a mini with I5/16G RAM/500gHD. I use LPX. Now upgrading to I7 with 1TB fusion drive and 16G of RAM. The I5 will do the work but it is slower as a dual core(I7 is quad core). Also, I have all the projects loaded to an external USB3 7200rpm drive.

I have taken to the Equator Audio D5 monitors. Accurate down to 54 Hz.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I would not buy a new Mac Mini now, they are due to an update soon, at the end of the product cycle now.
    Max ram is always good.

Meriphew likes this.
  5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

From Mac Rumours: 'But with the current Mac mini having yet to adopt the Broadwell chips that appeared in the MacBook Pro earlier this year and Apple's recent pattern of lengthening Mac mini product cycles amid a declining desktop market, it is unclear when and with what processors the Mac mini will be updated.'

Crowder likes this.
  6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

And under buyers guide it says:

[​IMG]

:)

Meriphew likes this.
  7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I guess I shouldn't buy a Mac mini.

The fine print about the chip updates doesn't mean anything.

8. cminor7b5

cminor7b5 Member

GFM:
    I think this is when the www really helps. I'm thinking of buying a mac mini and I'm glad I opened your thread and read BLix's post.

The web may not be the best place to get marriage or financial advice but it works well for stuff like this.

9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I have a Mac Mini myself, a late 2011 model, I hope the next version will be a good upgrade. :)

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

One more time, with feeling...From Mac Rumours: 'But with the current Mac mini having yet to adopt the Broadwell chips that appeared in the MacBook Pro earlier this year and Apple's recent pattern of lengthening Mac mini product cycles amid a declining desktop market, it is unclear when and with what processors the Mac mini will be updated.'

Meaning if you want a mini, buy a mini, unless you want to wait years for them to 'update' the product (they took out the replaceable RAM slots).

Personally, I have things to do.

Please wait as long as you like.

11. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The screenshot I posted is from MacRumors as well :dunno They think it will be updated soon, what you're quoting is 9 months old. You may be right of course, but that we can't predict... :)

12. Bentayuk

Thanks for the info guys!
    On the same subject, what size monitors (screens) are you using?
    I was thinking x2 24" monitors would be a fine choice, does anyone use any larger? Like x2 27"?

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You are waiting not buying.

Big difference.

Probably more expensive to buy in Norway, too.

Mac minis are still using Haswell processors 9 months after that post.

14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

And Macrumors think they will be updated soon...
    I'm not shopping for a new Mac anyway, not my thread, but it is relevant to the OP.

15. tguyfr

tguyfr Member

The Mini will certainly be updated soon (june ? july ?). I also want to switch from an old (2010) iMac 27 to a Mini setup w/ a huge screen. I'll probably go w/ the i7 version but avoid the fusion (I've read issues about this drive). Just a decent SSD for the system & core apps and everything else (data) on ext & cheap drives. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the memory yourself to avoid those insane RAM bills from Apple. Add a DSP card for your effects (UAD) and you're ready for a few years, with a more flexible configuration than the iMac (which I dig).

16. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I would wait for the refresh which should be very soon. That's what I'm doing.

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

No RAM updates by civilians. Wait on boys, wait on...

18. Bentayuk

I'm very glad I asked this question now. I am definitely going to wait, as it's not super important I get one right away anyhow.

Thanks again all!

19. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I'm currently waiting as well.

Not going to waste $700 on a computer with 3 year old specs

20. tguyfr

tguyfr Member

I'm pretty sure I've missed a joke, but my english is limited... :confused: