Buying a new SUV: Jeep Grand Cherokee VS Acura MDX

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Anthony M, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

Hi folks:

Well I'm finally trading in my beloved 2007 Honda Odyssey for something a bit less soccer mom and more mid life crisis cooler. Although it's not quite a Harley or Miata(kidding), it's about the most practical decision I can allow myself to make. I absolutely love my Odyssey, and after 8 years and two boys, who are still growing and active, pets, etc....it's served me and my family very well. However, after 8 years it's beginning to show it's age, not to mention I really need a change. I've owned SUV's/mini vans for the past 15 years and although the idea of buying a car is appealing, I'm still at the stage in my life where I need the room. And after various car shows and reviews, I'm really torn between these two SUV's that although vary in style and price, offer very attractive and useful features that I like.

Acura MDX With Tech Package - at About 5K more that the GC, it's comparably more expensive with less toys; but holds that Honda Pedigree and reliability, and I get to keep the three rows which I do use on occasion. The three rows is not a deal breaker though. To me, everything else are minor give and takes.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - compared to the MDX, I like the all the bells and whistles. Dual Sunroof, remote start, AC seats, very cool dash layout, very cool look. I just wish it had three rows and I wouldn't have had to start this thread.

Although I am comparing apples to oranges, thought I throw this topic in the ring to see if y'all have any experience with either or both.

Thanks!

2. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

One Caveat on the Jeep GC with the 9 speed tranny...there have been some issues...
    I have taken mine back at 3,000 miles for a tranny reflash and then at a recent recall for another reflash...
    Things seem to be fine now...before there were sporadic intervals where the trans. Was shifting roughly.

Other than that..I love the Cherokee.
    I love the dual sunroof..the auto start was something I used alot this winter, The engine has plenty of pep, handles more like a sportscar than a SuV...
    Great in the snow and great in beach sand...haven't done any terrain jumping yet.

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I looked at the RDX a few years ago and was impressed. I don't know about the Jeep, but they look pretty cool.

My only experience with Acura is a new RSX that I bought. It has 180K+ miles and haven't had to do much to it other than brakes and tires ... batteries and such.

Good luck.

4. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

FWIW I think the Grand Cherokee is a lot easier on the eyes.

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  5. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I like the Jeep.

6. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I have both...get the Acura.

7. brett s

brett s Member

The Grand Cherokee doesn't use that 9 speed transmission that's in the Cherokee, it's an 8 speed (designed by ZF) used on a ton of vehicles out there - love it in my Ram 1500, light-years better than the old 5/6 speed.

8. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I love Grand Cherokees, but I've heard a ton of complaints for the newest model, especially the transmission. I'm friends with a Chrysler/Jeep salesman, and he said the quality has gone downhill significantly. He said they have all these fancy bells and whistles to make up for starting to to break down after 30,000 miles.

9. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

You want to keep this one for 10 years, get the Acura.

R3deemed likes this.
  10. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

This. Don't settle for anything else.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  11. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Grand Cherokee all the way. It's my dream SUV :dude

12. cruster

cruster Member

I have an '11 GJC Overland with around 42M on the odometer. The only issue I've had is that I had three or four recall notices all at once. And the leaking power steering unit. Beyond that, it's been trouble free and required only regular oil changes/scheduled maintenance. Looks sharp, rides great, very capable in snow and on ice even with the crap stock tires.

13. JMP99

JMP99 Member

Wife has a 2015 MDX w/tech package. I would recommend it to anybody.

14. TommyGuitar

TommyGuitar Member

Read the reviews. The Jeep is awful compared to the MDX. The Acura is a mighty fine car.

15. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

My daughter has an Overland..........gas mileage sucks bigtime!

16. RTM1216

RTM1216 Member

I have a '14 GC Limited. So far I love it. I've put ~11k miles on it since Sept and not a single issue. As mentioned previously, the tranny is an 8 speed and I haven't noticed any rough shifts or anything out of the ordinary. Rides like a dream and is awesome in the snow (which is probably not a concern for you).

I traded in a 2011 Acura TSX for the Jeep. I had all kinds of electrical / cpu issues with it and Acura / Honda pushed back on every instance when I took it in under warranty (especially the 2 Acura dealers in my area). YMMV though.

17. JMC

JMC Member

Jeep reliability ratings have been in the toilet for a while now... I like the looks of the Overland, but I dunno... may be a constant headache.

18. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I have a 2012 GC Limited Hemi. Great vehicle!!! Mine has 40k on it with no issues at all.

If you still want the third row take a look at the Durango. Basically the same vehicle as the jeep just a bit bigger..

19. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

As long as I didn't need to pay the bills or drive it, I'd go with the Jeep.

pjs ire and TommyGuitar like this.
  20. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

This has been precisely my dilemma. The Jeep is very attractive but the MDX is very reliable. If it were a woman(no offense), I would probably end up with the MDX. I'm not saying the MDX is not attractive, but the GC is a little more sexier and just a whole lotta of bang for the buck. Gas millage is no concern since I work close by and the Durango is just too big. I park next to one and it's just as big as my MV. I really appreciate all of the feedback. I'm still stuck.