Buying a vibe/rotosim

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Magnustveiten, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Magnustveiten

Magnustveiten Member

So guys...

What should I go for?
    Pros and cons?
    Other suggestions..

Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe
    DLS RotoSim
    Effefctrode Tube-Vibe
    T-Rex Viper
    Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe

I'm waiting for your help,suggestions aso..:munch

Magnus

2. studiojig

studiojig Member

I have the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe. It works really well, though the only drawback is a fair amount of hiss when engaged (audible only when not playing of course). I suspect there's a mod out there somewhere to alleviate this without resorting to a gate of any kind but it doesn't bother me enough to warrant searching.

All that said, I'm still looking for that elusive good deal on a Bob Sweet Mojo vibe...

3. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Fulltone does some cool vibes. I have a Mini Deja Vibe which I think is awesome. I can't wait for the new mini with the built-in expression pedal!

4. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

If you want a leslie Simulator the H&K, DLS Rotosim and Option 5 seem to get the most attention, I went with teh DLS, very happy with it.

Univibe clones-Fulltone's get a lot of high marks, but lots of folks like the VooDoo Labs, AquaVibe, Megavibes also, don't pass up the BBE Soul Vibe. I had one a while, it does a double pulse thing a lot like the originals, real nice pedal at a good price.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Megavibe and aquavibe are great also.

6. dsl

dsl Member

I've spent a lot of time & $ "investigating" this issue.

I was most happy with:

Leslie - Boss RT-20

Vibe - Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Rotating speakers and vibes are different sounds. You should decide which sound you want, then pick the pedal.

8. caroy

caroy Member

I very like my precriptions electronics vibe unit!

9. Magnustveiten

Magnustveiten Member

Yeah....I guess i should have both;)

DLS RotoSim and Microvibe would be perfect for my board:love:
    Shame about the money tough...

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The Boss RT-20 claims to have a univibe mode too. No idea if it's any good. I was seriously underwhelmed with the Voodoo Labs Microvibe.

11. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Here is a soundclip of the Boss--done in mono done 2 or 3 years ago when it came out:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=471217&songID=6142995

I too have spent much money and have found the Rotary Ensemble to be the most accurate sounding Leslie sim, having played real ones. It beat out the Rotosphere 1 and 2, Korg G4, L6 Roto-Machine/MM-4, DLS RotoSim, O5 Destination Rotation, Voce Spin II, Dano Rocky Road (what a joke), and many other pseudo leslie stuff that is brought up here like the Arion chorus, Whirligig, etc.

My favorite vibe is still the Sweet Sound Ultra-Vibe. The RT-20 does have a vibe you can hear in the clip, but being realistic-the overdrive and uni-vibe sims aren't that good. But no overdrive on any rotary sim I've played has ever been acceptable, not even the rotosphere. It's always best to use a separate pedal for that. You could get away with using the RT-20's vibe for a song or two, especially if you've never had a vibe before.

Many people though are happy with Leslie-ish pedals like the Arion and don't care for the accurate reproduction of the Rotary Ensemble. To put it in perspective, of all those companies, only Boss and Korg make keyboards and organ sims and I believe that is why their sims are the best of the bunch.

For reference, none of these will simulate standing next to a Leslie (...eyes roll back...), but I look for something that will replicate it's miked up sound in either mono or stereo. Even dragging a Leslie to a gig, most people will only hear the miked up stereo sound anyways. That's the sound of all of our favorite recordings (of guitar/leslie) like Badge, Black Hole Sun, No Matter What, Let It Be, etc.

Here are some of my comments:
    1. Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble--most accurate leslie available, vibe and od not so good. The leslie has both swirl/swish and grind. Very complex.
    2. Korg G4--good leslie sim that can be adjusted to do a vibratone as well. Good swish but not a lot of grind--opposite of Rotosphere
    3. H&K Rotosphere--good sim with lots of grind but very little lushness. I've convinced that analog cannot accurately reproduce the complexities of a leslie. Most "organic" though. Slow speed has to much AM and not enough FM.
    4. DLS RotoSim--very transparent. Needs more effect, but would do great for those who want a blended version or less intense leslie.
    5. Voce Spin II--organic fast speed, phasery slow. Really is just a fancy phaser.
    6. Destination Rotations--more experience with the single than double. Good vibratone fast speed, not so hot slow.
    7. Dano Rocky Road--just a hopped up chorus. You get better leslies/vibratones with a CE-1 or Small Clone style chorus. Really chorus cannot accurately do a leslie 122/147 but just a vibratone single rotor.
    8. Arion SCH-1/Z--great chorus pedals, cheezy sounding leslies to me. Many people like this though, so you know what they say about opinions...:p
    9. Line 6 anything--over affected toy sounding, candy coated leslie sounds. The Roto-Machine absolutely destroys your tone. The Verbzilla and Echo Park rule though, to be fair.
    10. Whirligig--great for those who like "-ish" a whole lot and do not care for accuracy. Not a slam at all, just realize that is a bit different sounding.
    11. Modfactor--has a decent leslie actually. Would choose it over most of these. This does not give your guitar the same EQing as a Leslie does (with the notched midrange) and would work well for those seeking more transparent options. Get 9+ other effects free with purchase! ;)
    12. Running tremolos with chorus or phaser--back to the "ish"
    13. Flangers--better than chorus for Leslie/vibratone sounds in most cases.
    14. Vibes--cool sounding but again not very close to a Leslie. They are in essence a lop-sided 4 stage phaser.

There tends to be many polite arguments about the best sounding Leslie, but I would advise those looking to really figure out what are the top priorities in your search. Do you want accuracy--go Boss/Korg, organic-ish-ness--go for a chorus/vibe/whirligig, want something inbetween--go Rotosphere, Modfactor, Dest. Rotation. We are lucky to live in a time with so many good options available to us.

For good measure, let us all :bow the :banana

12. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

^Nice clip! That's funny, for the longest time I've been trying to find some decent clips of the RT-20 being used for solos to determine if it's what I want. And just a moment ago the UPS man delivers my RT-20 to my house and now I find this clip! Wow!

13. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Congrats on the pedal! Must have been destiny...

14. dsl

dsl Member

Re: RT-20

Great for Leslie - not for Vibe.

15. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I had a Boss RT-20 for about a half hour, terrible for high volume stuff, distortion useless, I didnt care for it at all, some folks swear by it, I'll swear by the DLS.

16. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Ok, after playing around with the RT-20 for a few minutes, I have to agree, great rotary sim, vibe - not so great. I had a Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe and the boss can't touch it. It's not totally dreadful though, it's passable. The overdrive definitely sucks.