Buying a Warmoth replacement neck... nervous

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

:worried
    Okay, still trying to get more info on purchasing the right replacement neck for my Jay Turser Tele (it's tough when you don't know if it will work until you already bought it!). The Tele body seems to accept the standard Tele 2 3/16" x 3" neck pocket well (I tested with a neck from my Fender Tele). I'm still concerned about the actual pocket height / base of neck height. It is much deeper/higher than most of my other guitars (by about 1/16 - 1/8". The warmoth site seems to indicate standard necks are 1" at the base, but mine seem to be 1/16" lower than that on most guitars (ie. 15/16", but in this case 1/16" (ie. 1 1/16" higher. Anyway, if the neck was too high on the base, I could sand it down, but this is the opposite. I guess I could shim it up?
    Seeing that the replacement neck (bare bones Tele style w/pre sloted nut) is MORE than the entire guitar, I'd hate to screw this one up.
    Also, would everyone recommend getting the neck prefinished by Warmoth? They won't warranty one that isn't and they highly recommend finishing the neck. I really like satin but it's $65 added on. Some people have mentioned Tru-Oil but I don't know if that's easy to apply and will be enough to prep and keep the wood in good shape over time.
    Sorry to spam everyone here, I'm just trying to learn as I go.
    Cheers, Greg

2. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Can't help you one the dimensions, but you can apply the Tru-Oil yourself very easily and get excellent results. Just follow the directions and I think you'll be very happy.

3. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Well, neck pocket fit on any offshore made guitar is a valid concern. You're right to be wary. Warmoth necks are very accurately made to fit Fender (and Warmoth) bodies. IF the body is Fender spec you can be sure it'll fit. So anything that can be properly set up with a Fender neck should have no problem using a Warmoth. You say you tested it with a Fender Tele neck? If that fit well the Warmoth neck should too. If the pocket is a tiny bit deeper than standard that might not be too bad but it's certainly possible you'll need to shim it. You won't really know until you get the strings on and see if the bridge can be brought up high enough to compensate.
    Regarding the finish: Warmoth doesn't require that they finish it, only that it gets a hard finish. They won't warranty a non-finished or oil finished neck. Luckily, finishing a neck isn't tough if you don't mind the effort. Although a maple board neck is a bigger pain than a rosewood, simply because with the maple board you'll have to remove the finish from the frets. With rosewood, you just mask off the board and spray. If you like satin, get a can of satin lacquer and practice spraying on a piece of scrap wood. When you can spray evenly without getting drips and runs, spray a few coats then sand with 300 grit wet sand paper. Do this a couple more times then work your way down to 1000 grit and the neck will probably feel pretty good. I rub them out with Mcguiar's #4 to finish up.

4. ss396

ss396 Member

if your getting a maple fretboard i would have them finish it. if you go with rosewood or pao ferro you can finish it yourself. my warmoth necks are 1 inch at the base, you may need to shim. tru oil is an easy wipe on finish. see warmoth discussion board for details.

5. Gasp100

Thanks all, I just sent a note to Rob @ frettech.com as well to see what he comes back with. I remeasured everything and it's not that the neck pocket it too deep (seems to come in right around 3/8" which is standard, but the actual base of the current neck is 1 1/16"... So the neck protrudes out of the body pretty high at the joint where the neck meets the body. There is even a small shim in there, but that seems to be for evening things out as opposed to raising it even higher. Maybe the super thick assed finish + thick pickguard just make the body too high for a standard neck.
    The Fender Tele neck seems to fit the pocket okay, but I did not tighten it in all the way and restring because the holes were ever so slightly offline. I didn't want to chance messing with the great neck off of the Fender.
    This will be a maple neck with Rosewood so Tru-Oil might be the key. But, I really want a satin-y finish, not high gloss and I'm not sure what Tru-Oil does to the neck.
    Thanks!

6. Gasp100

Thanks all... currently, the Fender maple Tele is neck is completely installed, semi-setup and tuned. The guitar already feels, sounds and plays a LOT better. I guess I couldn't possibly split the James Burton neck and body though... that would be scrilege. At least now I feel about 99% comfortable buying a stock Tele neck (2 3/16" x 3" x 1") to drop in. This Turser is going to look, play and sound pretty kick ass by the time I'm done. Now, I just need a clear, tight sounding humbucker for the neck position and I'm golden.
    One minor issue is that the holes for the neck through the body didn't line up exactly with the Fender neck, now I have bigger holes in the Fender than I used too... oh well, it had to be tested.

7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Check with Warmoth but I'm pretty sure they don't consider an oil finish to be a hard finish and therefore will not warranty the neck finished that way. Although if you'd really like the oil finish, I wouldn't sweat it. The chances of the neck going south are actually fairly slim. But just be aware you might not be covered.

8. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

According to Warmoth, Tru-Oil is an acceptable finish and will not void the warranty. It dries very hard, unlike most oil finishes and can get really glossy. It's easy to apply, just rub it in with your fingers (see here: http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=15094)

9. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

FWIW the Warmoth necks are very good. Also, I just fitted a Fender USA neck to a Warmoth body and it fit perfectly. I mean better than most Fenders! You may find that you end up with a Warmoth body as well!

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Don't worry I've built many over the last twenty years and the are excellent .