• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Buying an amp built from a kit from a first time builder

Rick51

What I can see looks nice and neat, so far so good. Do you have possession of it? Does it work properly?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
If that was not built from a kit, it looks fantastic.:AOK If it was a kit, still very good, to me, but the bonus points for layout are retracted.:)
Of course, one must ask if it works.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
I do not have it yet and cannot try it before I buy it. The builder said that he is some kind of electrical engineer or something, so he certainly knows about this kind of stuff. Much better than a typical amateur I am sure.

doctord02

Looks like a well built Marshall clone of some sort. What do you know about it and why is he selling it?

Last edited:

gixxerrock

I do not have it yet and cannot try it before I buy it. The builder said that he is some kind of electrical engineer or something, so he certainly knows about this kind of stuff. Much better than a typical amateur I am sure.
It looks like a decent job, but I would be wary about buying from a first time builder. I am also an electrical engineer and have spent a lot of time doing electronics professionally. I also know my first tube amp would not be as good as some of the pros that have years of building and repairing amps. IMO only, as I don't know your builder or seen his work close up. Good luck.

Shawn.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Depends on the kit and instructions too.
Check the solder joints if/when you get it.

willhutch

Silver Supporting Member
My first build turned out great, and I'm strictly a hobbyist.

Ask how the amp functions. Any crackles, pops or other weird sounds (e.g. ghost notes).

Maybe you try to work some kind of trial period into the deal? You get like 3 days to confirm the amp is as the builder represented. If he is a stand up guy, he should be OK with that.

That indeed appears to be a metro 50 watt. GREAT AMP!!!

BeachPirate

What do you guys think of this wiring?

Questions I would ask are, does it hum in standby, does it hum when ON, how bad? Does it oscillate, if so how bad?

1. Many recommend shielded wire for the MV and location on the rear panel in a speaker output hole away from the inputs.

2. Lead length on V1 and V2 could be better, especially that large loop of HT blue on V2, looks like HT blue for V2 and V3 are parallel with the green wire on V3.

3. Big ole mains neutral wire loop (white wire)

4. Maybe 2 turns on the heater wires between V1 and V2 and looks more like the black wire wrapped around the red versus both twisted together. I don't think that will do much to cancel hum.

5. Not the highest quality caps on the bias circuit

6. Are those yellow caps Mallory or SoZo?

7. Pots don't look like PEC which are better quality.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
The master volume at the input jack could be problematic. Added noise, ghosting, parasitic oscillation

Bottom line, what's it gonna cost you?

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure. It is on ebay, and around $900 at this point with a few days to go. I think I am going to just let it go given that this is his first amp build - yes it is a metro kit.

Trending Topics