Buying an un-modded amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gallery, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I found one of my favorite vintage Marshall amps at a really good price... but... it had a mod done that was put back to original leaving a hole on the face plate. The price is reasonably reduced to compensate for the hole and it's in cherry condition otherwise.

I'm not buying this for an investment, I'm buying it to play, but I'm not sure if the hole on the front will bother me over time.

Would you:

1. Buy and deal with it
    2. Buy it and re-mod it and use the hole for a master volume or gain boost
    3. Skip it and wait for another to come up

2. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

I wouldn't be able to deal with it having a hole. I would love to say "Hey man, yeah it has a hole, but I don't care..." Unfortunately that would just be a lie. I don't mind mojo on vintage equipment, but something like a hole doesn't fall into that category.

3. Tread

Tread Member

What year is it ? In 1988 I bought a 1972 50w 1986 bass head for $75.00 from a friend who'd just got busted and was getting out of town. It needed an output tranny and some Mustards put back in place, Has a hole in the head cab where I took the fan out. (this was popular at that time for some reason) .... and its the best amp I now own sound wise. Beat to hell and back but sounds fantastic ! I put a Merren 50w Output tranny in it and never looked back on this one. They really LIGHT UP an amp.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

This is a decision that you need to make on your own. It doesn't matter what we think. Some of us would be bothered by that to no end. Some would make the best of it. Some would not care either way. Some hate Marshalls on principle. What principle that is, you'd have to ask them. In any case YOU are the only person on this board who would have any idea how much it would bother YOU.

But the fact that you felt compelled to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet if you should be bothered by it probably indicates that you are and will be bothered by it. So it might be a good idea to skip this one and leave it for someone who doesn't care, and won't wind up spending an arm and a leg later on down the road to have it reinstalled in a replacement chassis.

5. ugameus

ugameus Member

If the hole bothers you there are plenty of places to get a new faceplate. Or just stick a pot in there and put a knob on it.

6. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Yeah, what vintage Marshall is it?

7. Gallery

Yeah guess I was kinda hoping for a bunch of people to say, ehh who cares, buy it and play the crap outta it. But you are right, it will bother me at first. Question is, once I'm playing it, will I be loving it enough to forget about it.

8. Gallery

2204. Yeah I realize there are ton of them out there. But this one is truly a closet classic. I've not seen one as clean as this amp. The amp is mint except for the hole and the price is right.

9. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

I see nos faceplates for Fender amps sold constantly... Would assume Marshall faceplates exist as well. (Not a Marshall guy so I have no idea)
    Any chance for a nos plate to replace it?

10. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

if it were my amp this is what I'd do. I'd also regularly tweak the knob and ask anyone around if it sounded any better.

11. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've bought a few amps with similar 'defects'. It got me into them at a lesser cost with the intent of finding a better conditioned unit down the road without loosing my shirt. In three cases I never found one that sounded better and just kept the original. In the other case I upgraded... and did not take a hit over the long haul. After all, for me, it's an amp to make sound with, not a trophy to look good.

12. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

Buy it and add something useful there. If youre going to gig it, chances are you'll want to add a useful feature like a master volume.

13. Gallery

I think I almost would rather it still be modded than have an empty useless hole...

14. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

If you pass let me know where it's at so I can buy it...seriously lol!

15. Tread

Tread Member

Buy a new face plate. They are out there and ease your mind.

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Does the rain get in? If yes, definitely fix the hole.

17. ModdersAnon

ModdersAnon Member

I like this idea :D

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

i would have no problem dealing with the hole.. put a band-aid over it!

19. Tread

Tread Member

Get a bullet hole sticker and make up a story.......

20. JB6464

JB6464 Member

:spit