Buying EQ or Dimarzio Evolution pickup?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paco Luna, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

Hello, have a question.

I have a line 6 Spider iv and a guitar with alnico v pickups, i want more clarity in my sound, more highs, i want a sound where i dont need to play hard, a sound where even dust make my guitar sound hahahahaha, should i get an equalizor to boost my highs or get the dimarzio evolution pickups? Or what do you suggest? Thanks!! 😁

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

EQ pedal, but more likely, new amp.

3. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

what amp would you recommend me for the sound i want? any tube amp? Thanks!

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

What type of music do you play? Where do you play?

5. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

I play metal, but i´m more into instrumental high distortion guitar, like steve vai, MAB, , etc.. sometimes i play small gigs, like in a bar, etc, Thanks for replying and hope you can help me :)

6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I would say just make sure it doesn't feel like you're fighting your amp because that's a hard thing for any pedal to fix.

Maybe you should consider asking over in the amp forum about decent amps for metal within your price range.

-bEn r.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep budget gonna be the big factor.

Peaveys new 6505 mini head just released looks nice.

There are also a lot of cleaner single channel amps that can work well with the right pedal. Look at Megalith Delta pedal as a example.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. DNW

DNW Member

Pickups will make a difference, but not as much as the amp and speaker(s). Not having to play hard I guess I'd put more down to the quality and setup of the guitar, as well as the volume coming out of the amp (i.e. feedback of the non-squealie harmonic type).

That said, my guitars are set up in a way that I don't feel like I have to play hard. But I do anyway a lot of the time, coz it sounds very different to playing soft and just turning up the gain instead. If you just want it to be as easy to play as possible, whack on lighter strings and drop the action as low as you can get it. :dunno

Changing your pickups or putting an EQ in the loop (at least, I'm guessing your amp has an FX loop) are kinda working on two different things. One is affecting the signal that's going into the amp, the other is working on the signal coming out of the preamp before the poweramp. The pickups will change the sound a bit, but really it'll be more about the feel and response you get from the amp.

9. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

Get another amp; you will save money by investing in a good amp and buying pedals only as something that adds flavour to the guitar->amp sound.
    Your Spider probably has a small speaker, so get something with at least a 10" or better 12" speaker. If you're on a budget, the Blackstar ID-amps are miles ahead of the Line6 thingys.

What's your budget and your guitar?
    I'd really recommend you upgrade your amp, before buying pedals as a band-aid to fix a problem that is easily solved with a new amp.
    In my experience, if the guitar + amp combo aren't REALLY doing it for you, any pedal will always fall short when running in your rig.

The best purchase I've made in 'all of my years' on this forum, is buying a VHT Classic 6 small tube amp. It gave me more harmonic and 'gainy' satisfaction than any pedal (EQ, Drive, or Distortion) I've bought in well..forever.

My advise would be to figure out what kind of 'sound' you like, and what it's made out of (guitar->amp).
    In my case, I tend to like Fender-style amps with drive pedals that change that Fender character, for everything from clean funk to high gain fusion/metal.
    If I was using a Vox AC-30 style amp, I'd only use a booster (I like the Vox clean-to-breakup sound) or perhaps an EQ.
    For heavier stuff, I'd get a low powered Marshall or Mesa with a Tubescreamer-like pedal in front.

With Steve Vai, I'm thinking mostly high gain amps (Marshall, Bogner) with an added Boss DS-1 as a boost. You could easily get those sounds with something like a Blackstar ID-amp, no EQ pedal needed.
    For MAB (if it's Michael Angelo Batio) it's roughly the same: Marshall-type amps with a Tubescreamer in front.

Pickups and EQ will help, but those are mostly details to a bigger picture.
    The change in sound will most likely be from a new amp..

10. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

^^^ nitefly is correct, along with the others who chimed in.. the players u like generally use tube amps , with some kind of overdrive pedal for that metal smoothness.

tube screamers and other mid-boosting OD seem to work well. if the new amp is not an option, u can sometimes run a OD into a Distortion pedal into a clean amp..

like a TS (maybe Joyo vintage OD ?) into a mxr Distortion plus , to amp. this is a budget option.