buying gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by macmax77, May 26, 2008.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i see most of you guys buying gear and changing it a lot.

When you buy an amp/speaker/etc, what are you specifically looking for?
    Do you buy because you have heard someone who you think sounds good?

I am asking because i think the min problem is that some people buy the gear, but cannot buy the player.

Can you guys play?

2. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

You have 2071 posts and your asking this question now?

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Interesting question with a barb at the end. I will ignore the barb, as I think the question is good. I have been playing for around 30 years, mostly rock/blues stuff. I played in cover bands for a number of years doing the club thing.

I studied classical guitar for a couple years and worked up enough material to do an hour lunch gig many years back. I have been playing in churches for as long as I have been playing guitar. Choral stuff with orchestral type charts, and simple lead sheets for covering secular and rock stuff.

I currently play occassionally in a jazz ensemble context, and have a weekly solo jazz guitar gig. For me, playing in lots of different settings has warranted different instruments and different gear. Couple that with the fact that I get tired of my sound every few years, and that alone would initiate gear change.

Further complicating this is my continued evolution as a player and what I am looking for in my sound. Much of this gear is not readily available at the local GC, so in order to experiment means you need to own it. Does that cover it?

4. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Because I can and yes

5. Noah

Noah Member

I can't play at all, but I love to buy cool looking gear. When I bring hot girls back to my place, they always freak out on all the crazy guitar stuff I have. Works like a charm!
    :BEER

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I've bought and sold so much gear over the years I can at least give you my reason.

I'm curious and I've loved having real experience with lots of gear. I've gigged dozens of amps, guitars and pedals. I don't have the money or space to keep all of the gear I've wanted to try, so I usually sell things when I'm ready to try something else.

The experience was worth the price of admission.

7. burner

burner Member

I just look for things that help translate what I'm hearing in my head.
    It's that simple.

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I'm searching for that perfect combination of sound, versatility and portability. BTW that perfect combination is only perfect for me, which is ok because I'm buying it.
    I buy gear to find that sound and because I can, and I don't save it all. I have 5 guitars, 2 amps and a few pedals, all of which are useful to me.
    As far as the barb snuck in at the end, yes I can play and I'm told quite well, thank you for asking.

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

i think the obvious answer is that yes, some guys buy a lot of gear and can play. and yes, some guys buy a lot of gear and can't play very well. as long as we are all having fun and learning, i don't see much harm.

10. redpill

redpill Member

Agreed with the above, and agreed there is no harm. Now I have seen people get so obsessed with the gear angle that they lose all sense of proportion and their playing suffers. That's just silly. But materialism trumping growth is a reality that is hardly restricted to musical equipment.

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Actually no, macmax......
    None of us can play......:rolleyes:

Perhaps you can jump back on your thread and explain why you would ask such a question.
    I think the reasons are pretty obvious to just about any thinking person..

Please, get back to us on this.......

Emee

12. macmax77

The question is:

Is there a reason that you are never satisfied and is there a correlation between buying amps that you have heard others playing and when they are in your hands you don't feel them ?

Guys remember english is only my second language and it is difficult for me to ask some specific questions that don't translate well.

I got banned because i insulted a fellow member cause i thought he was insulting me until someone explained to me that what he said was some kind of slang.

michale.e
    we would have to enter the public spheres and culture spheres to get into a "thinking argument" , i am not into Habermas today, so don't even go there with me.

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

You're asking a bunch of people why they buy and sell gear. You're going to find a bunch of different answers.

When I've sold gear it's rarely been because I wasn't satisfied with it.

14. macmax77

I think i have found a way to ask:

What i want to know is specifically if you bought an amp because you heard someone playing with it and then you played it and thought that you liked that particular players chops more than what you liked the amp's tone.

15. trap

trap Supporting Member

hmmm, let me see if i understand you. if i heard a player i liked playing an amp, then i bought the amp, and found out that the real reason the amp sounded so good was because of the players touch, not just the amp by itself. is that what you are asking? because if it is, then no, in my case i did not buy it because i heard a player i liked playing it. quite frankly, i bought it because of the reputation, and i don't regret it.
    english is a very hard language, and i respect you for trying to participate even though it's tough for you.

16. macmax77

YES. this is it!

17. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Member

:worthless

(sorry just wanted to try out this 'smiley' :crazy)

Oh, and yea, I'm not a good player. I'd say I'm an OK player, so I need good equipment in order to sound at least decent. Nah, it's just fun trying out all those pieces yourself. That's the only way to judge them. I do appreciate all the comments and recommendations here, but in the end, they're all worth $hit if you have a different taste.

And lastly - I think this discussion started on an other forum, Les Paul Forum I think - I belief that you don't have to be an ace player in order to judge the sound of equipment. As long as you don't blame the gear for your poor playing, every opinion is valid and appreciated IMO...

18. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

With the evolution of ebay, craigslist, (and TGP!), there is now a way to be able to try things you have read great reviews on, etc. without too much risk of getting stuck with something you're not happy with. In other words, the aforementioned provides a means to get out of your mistakes and get your money back!! (and sometimes even make a few bucks). Before, you would have to try to sell it in the classifieds of your local paper or trade it in on something at a substantial loss at a music store.
    That's my reason.
    And yes, I can play!

19. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

Because I can play, and it’s freakin’ fun! Never understood why some people care what others do with their time and money. ????

20. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

this is exactly how i feel. its been a FUN ride!