Buying guitars on TGP (tire kicking?)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by smolder, Aug 16, 2008.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I am relatively new here and I recently saw a for sale post that said 'no tire kickers'. I am not familiar with the term and really wanted to know what it meant... so I asked and was not received warmly (I really did not mean to high jack your thread). I do btw - know what 'firm', 'no lowballs' and 'no trades' mean.

So I will try again here with a bit more explanation.

I don't 'need' any more guitars. I keep a short list of a few I would someday like to own (an LP junior is amongst those). I like the idea of buying and selling... keeping the real gems... if you sell for near what you pay it doesn't cost a lot and you and you learn a ton. If I find a deal... or really special guitar... I might buy it to have around for a while. I always look... sometimes a question or two... may even make an offer... then make a decision yes or no. Am I a tire kicker?

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

No. Tire kicking involves touching the gear. Maybe someone likes to use the phrase for someone who asks a lot of questions and wants pictures, but doesn't buy anything, but that's not what it means.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member

I know where this started. I know the OP very well. It pertains to people that ask lots of questions just to be a bother that have no intention of purchasing. Also to those that feel the need to place comments on gears that they also have no intention of buying. IMO, if you have no interest in a peice, move on and don`t waste space typing comments just to see your words in print.

4. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Tire kickers are people that ask questions about gear they don't intend to buy, usually because of poor FS posts (for instance, not listing any specs on the guitar, not posting pics, etc...). If you want to avoid tirekickers, put all the necessary information in your FS ad (IMNSHO)!

-Austin

5. Glide

Glide Member

And some will ask you for additional photos and have a thousand questions and then actually agree to purchase the guitar and then when it comes time to send the money over they all of a sudden stop replying to emails. I think if you agree to buy the guitar and ask where to send the money, you just bought the guitar. Especially if the seller has already boxed the guitar and emailed the shipping quotes you asked for.

6. greenguard

greenguard Member

Tire kickers will be around regardless of how thorough and informative your post/auction is.

When it comes to gear, the kickers are often those who can't afford it but are still daydreaming or "window shopping," and basically wasting the seller's time with inane questions. They know deep down they won't pull the trigger, but keep on "shopping" in this manner.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tire+kicker

7. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

yeah, and ask for a ton of pictures, etc... and then they never return your emails. At least have the decency to say, sorry I'm not interested.

THere are a few around here, and I know them now, so I avoid dealing with them.

One asked me for a ton of pictures and then admitted only wanting them for His "picture" collection.

8. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

Unforunately, I have a large picture collection. BUT... I used to own them all. Gas hurts:dude

9. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i hope i'm not guilty of this. i generally ask questions if they are not answered in the original FS post and answer all emails but if there is a reason the gear doesn't meet my original expectations, i decline.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

People need to lighten up... anyone can be a prospective buyer. I've asked questions about gear and if it's not what I'm looking for or more often than not, if I find something ELSE that works better for me I decline and move on. Sorry, I may have missed replying to one or two PM's over the hundreds of PM's about gear that I've sent/received in the past.
    You are trying to SELL your gear to complete strangers in most cases based on a few pic's, a personal description <which let's be honest, in many cases it a little puffed up, no?> and whining about people "wasting your time"? Get over yourself.
    I try to be as thorough as possible with my descriptions, keep the lines of communication open, negotiable on prices <to a degree>, fair pricing, allow easy forms of payment and ship fast.
    Sure, I've had many people get super close to buying something from me to back out in the end, but someone else eventually comes along. And I much rather have someone change their mind BEFORE I ship something than when it's in transit. :worried

11. JDJ

JDJ Member

If people change their mind, that's fine. Just don't forget to send a nice pm or email about doing so instead of being a David Copperfield... disappearing with no explanation after taking up a seller's time. :)

12. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

The interesting thing about tire kickers is that the irritation level they generate is inversely proportional to the price tag of the item you are selling. By way of explanation, you get way more stupid questions from a person with no real intent of purchasing on a $200 item, than you do on a $2000 item.:eek:

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You're a tire kicker if when you ask about a piece you destroy the peace.

P.S. My two cats are play-fighting now (you know it's play when the claws remain sheathed). What a laugh! :D

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Bingo.

15. prsisbest

prsisbest Member

+1..........

16. Navigator

Navigator Member

At the same time, what you perceive to be a "tire kicker" could well turn out to be a buyer for all you know. I've responded to ads on a few occasions when my better judgment said "You can't afford it," or "You shouldn't buy this." But I knew that they were pieces that I ultimately wanted, and by initiating contact with the seller I became more confident that I wanted the item (as long as the info provided by the seller was positive). For me a little bit of tire kicking is part of anyone's process of buying used gear. It's kind of like dipping your toes in the water before jumping in.

17. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

if the trait that determines someone to be a tirekicker is that they did not buy (I dare say most sellers won't know why they did not buy) then this is basically blaming others for your item not selling. Which is pretty weak IMHO. A good shopkeeper puts customer service first... and their own angst or grouchiness issues last. What is that phrase... attract more flies with honey?

Better to blame others than to adjust the offer I suppose...

18. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Well said!

19. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Most can put up or shut up for under $2000.00.. If you don't want tire kickers, don't list you stuff in a public forum. Its a public forum. You think these guitar guys are tire kickers? Imagine what a full time sales person has to deal with! This is Micky Mouse stuff. In fact, you selling an object we can only recognise; not hear, feel, or get real one on one time to check it out.. I won't buy new stuff without playing it. I have never bought a guitar without playing it. I can imagine talking to some of you guys if I felt comfortable buying through cyber space.Your attitude and answers might loose my interest fast. You guys should be thankful for every tire kicker. Maybe discover a mature way to stop someone who perhaps is abusing you. It goes with the turf of selling.

IMHO if you are selling in an open public forum like this place. You are silly not to expect tire kickers.

20. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Another thought. What? You guys expect the forum to be like retail sales. Does it PO you when somone makes an offer? If so, you are in the wrong place to sell your product.