• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Buying Mesa, head or combo which is best?

g335

Hello

I will buy a Mesa soon, Stiletto Ace, 5:50 Express, or maybe a DC-5, which would be better for someone who lives in an apt and will use it in a small to med sized clubs , head or combo?

If I do decide on a head, I will buy a 2x12 cabinet.

Help please

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Just from the fact that Mesas are all so god awful heavy, I'd go with a head/cab no matter what the model.

earthlydescent

that's a varied range...

the stiletto ace is very british and very bright.
the express series doesn't hardly compare to the stiletto series. the cleans are nice, but the overdrive is a bit underwhelming.
the dual caliber is a great amp with good cleans and sweet overdrive (very mark-ish)

definitely go for the head and cab route.

but most of all. what do you play?

jcoggins7

I'd get the Express in a head form. It's the only option you listed that has 5 watt capabilities, which means it's the only one that will be close to being apartment safe. FWIW, I found the Express series amps to sound better than the DCs. Different strokes. I'd only get the Ace if you have to have a more British flavor and have a hotplate.

Laheart

I would suggest the head versions of any Mesa you get. I have the DC-5 and Lonestar Classic heads and have a variety of cabs to go with them. One word of caution: the DC-5 is one seriously loud amp and you are not going to be able to set the master on channel 2 much higher than 2 before the walls shake. It's not an apartment amp if you want any type of overdrive.

HHB

I like heads, they use of different speakers really opens up the Mesa IMO, sometimes the combos get that focused thing no matter what you set em on, other cabs seems to let the amp shine. I do a MKI into a Bogner 410 open back that sounds amazing

g335

So head and cabinet? Thanks for the input.
So it is easier to transport a head and cabinet?

Which amp I buy decides on how I like the DC-5 if I can find one and which amp is affordable at the time.

I play all kinds of music from Chet Atkins to Metallica to The Cure.

Austinrocks

combos are easier to live with, my mark iv is 85lb but it came with casters, so it rolls easily is well built, heads and cabinets even a 2x12 are a pain to move around need a dolly at least, personally the mark v would be what I would get, the mark iv will take EL-34s like the stileto, but it never was a mashall to my ears, the mark iv with 6v6s is what I am running now, great princeton like tones without the limitations, I also have a fender hot rod deluxe, those are very portable, its getting omega modded right now, should get me close to my mark iv with JJs 6v6s which I have been running for a while and loving

Trending Topics