Buying my first used guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by METAL, Jun 16, 2017.

1. METAL

METAL Member

So I found a great deal on a used Schecter on Reverb and after asking a couple questions to the seller, I decided to go ahead with the purchase because I didn't want to miss out.

This is the first time I've ever bought a used guitar and the first time I've bought from a private seller. When I receive the guitar, what would you recommend I do to ensure that it's legitimate, fully functional, and not stolen.

Thanks in advance.

2. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer

"Not stolen" is difficult, and best done before purchasing. "Fully functional" is pretty easy, just plug and play.

Do you have a return policy? If so, you're fine. If not, it doesn't matter what condition it's in by the time you get it. :dunno

3. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

As long as the serial number is still on it, I typically don't worry too much about it being stolen. I won't buy a guitar without a serial number.
    To determine if its fully functional, plug it in and play it. Either it works or it doesn't.

4. Davesnothere

Davesnothere Supporting Member

Don't do it. You'll become one of the hoi polloi.