Buying on Reverb, Ebay, etc- it never fails

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JukeJointJunkie, May 13, 2020.

1. Jorge E aka ricv64

Jorge E aka ricv64 Member

2. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Member

Finally resolved. Looks like I'm getting a refund. Reverb message listed it as "lost in shipping" but that may be standard nomenclature in these cases.

I'm bummed because I really wanted the guitar.

3. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Nope...this is an offshoot of the "it's all about me and I have no accountability" society we've built. Kids are never wrong, everyone is a winner, etc etc. .

It shows up in customer service a lot.

Customer service in general is bad. I have low expectations for pretty much every purchase - if it's got a problem no one wants to stand behind what they've sold you.

Now, that said, I've had a few service requests that went really well - but it seems anomalous.

Da Geezer and Jorge E aka ricv64 like this.
  4. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

Sometimes people have to go to work and it’s a hassle to get to the post office during business hours. Sometimes you have things like pandemics which cause delays. A couple weeks delay, I understand, but a few days is reasonable. Some people are very impatient.

5. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

In todays world I think that anything I order on the internet should be in my hands in no more than one week. Anything else is unacceptable.

6. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Member

Those people shouldn't tell the buyer that they'll "definitely" get it shipped out the next day.

7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

as a seller on ebay, reverb, TGP, etc. i always try to ship the same day if possible. definitely the next business day for sure. i often find i am not afforded the same courtesy though. check seller ratings and feedback. most will comment on time to ship.

sunking101 and soulman969 like this.
  8. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I ordered a pedal from GC on the 12th, it shipped the 20th, and I'm supposed to have it by the 26th. 2 weeks total. Stuff is slow right now. To be expected, IMO.

9. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

Maybe I just think differently than everyone else, but if it's such a hassle to ship an item that a person just sold, then maybe that person should only sell locally on Craigslist. IMO, it's pretty inconsiderate of someone to advertise and sell an item without being able to ship it within a day or two. If someone takes my money but doesn't ship the item, I not only would want a refund, I'd want that person arrested for theft!

10. Motherfuzzer

I guess that could go the other way as well, if you need that instant gratification, maybe you should only buy locally?

I know a Deadhead chic that makes GD themed crafts. She sells on fB marketplace, etsy, eBay. She lives in a very rural area. She goes to the post office once a week. She should be arrested? Thats a little extreme.

I personally ship in a timely manner, but god forbid something should happen, and sometimes it does. Dealing with some people makes me never want to sell anything.

Amazon takes their sweet time to ship. I have prime and wait over a week for things to ship sometimes. Lock up Bezos?

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    TTHX likes this.
  11. Motherfuzzer

Well, thats different.
    Sorry it didn't work out, but the right guitar will find you.
    I was looking at the Tributes as well. Missed out on a few and I ended up with a P90 Special DC and like it alot.

12. Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz Member

Then communicate to the buyer. Most people can be more patient and forgiving when there is communication. The seller disappeared on the buyer. Not good.

soulman969 likes this.
  13. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

My reply had to do with an individual who sells an item but doesn't ship "until they get around to it or when it's convenient for them". I understand that a business probably has so many orders that shipping might take a while, and that the shipping companies may be overwhelmed and slow. However, for an individual, the item should be dropped off at the shipping company quickly... UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE IN THE AD!

No offense intended toward anyone. Things come up, and life happens... I get it. I'm just ranting about inconsiderate sellers who are probably inconsiderate toward others in all aspects of their life. It would be great if these sellers could somehow be forced to tell the truth in their ads: "Guitar for sale. Pay me, and I'll tell you that I'll ship it by close of business tomorrow. But, I have a four day weekend before I leave on a week-long business trip, and I'll probably be too drunk to take it to the Post Office. I'll ship the guitar when I get back. Don't bother sending e-mails; I'll just ignore them!" :mad:

Personally, when it comes to guitars or amps, I will only buy/sell locally, as I'm too paranoid. I don't want to deal with the possible hassle of either damage during shipping or never receiving the item at all. Besides, I would never buy a guitar or amp without playing it first. I have bought and sold smaller items (pedals, speakers, cables, etc.) that had to be shipped. Because I work nights, if I sell something I can be at the Post Office first thing the next morning to ship it. I just don't understand the mindset of someone who places an ad and takes the buyer's money, all the while knowing that their job situation (or responsibilities outside of work) makes it impossible to know when they'll be able to ship. Also, I refuse to use Ebay or Reverb, even for the smaller items; I'd rather deal with fellow forumites on guitar forums. As I said, maybe I just think differently than everyone else!

14. soulman969

soulman969 Member

When asked to rate an online purchase I will always rate based on how prompt and efficient any seller is in getting my purchase out the door and into the hands of the shipper.

Beyond that point they have no control but with everything up to that point they do. Private sellers can always box an item and prepare it for shipment before they even place the listing so under normal circumstances there should be no excuse for ever missing a 72 hour limit deadline.

15. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

There are many parcels with DVDs that are apparently in limbo in the USA where they get scanned as the truck takes them to some depot and there is no updates for a week or more. It is a common occurance and people are posting about it in a Bluray forum I'm on. I don't expect to receive anything I buy through the Mail anywhere near as fast as it used to be - that way I'm not disappointed.

16. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Member

My gut feeling is the guy changed his mind about selling, and rather than deal with it he just disappeared.

The problem for me is due to having heart surgery this week, my window for buying something has closed for the next month or so. I wasted two weeks on this fiasco.

17. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Member

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. I'm giving it another shot on a guitar I've been looking for a couple of years now.

18. Motherfuzzer

What'd you get?

19. Guppie

Guppie Member

It always annoys me when selling platforms get blamed for actions of individual sellers. They are facilitating the sale of gear. Not selling gear.
    And as for a nice guitar showing up just after you pulled the trigger on another one, that is just a fact of live.
    Somebody somewhere probably has the same reaction the moment you put your guitar up for sale.

20. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Member

It's an Agile 2500, LP shaped but with Tele electronics.