Buying pedals based on looks

Pickaxe

How many of you consider the looks of a pedal when you are purchasing? I can't get over how people go nuts over the color, size, shape, etc., instead of the sound.

I'd like to remind people to audition pedals with their ears.

Remember that the audience doesn't often see your pedals, unless your Gear Page buddies check out your board between sets.

voorhiessa

I do. I know it's weird, but that doesn't bother me. This is my preference, since you asked:

2 boss/ibanez/paddle switching pedals book ending a pedal in the middle with the true bypass styled stomp. And I like brighter colors--not black/grey/etc.

One of my favorite setups was:

Sd1--phase 90--ad9

Still use the SD1 (ironically, my favorite drive ever), getting another AD9, and may put as mastotron in the middle.

paulslagle

I do. I know it's weird, but that doesn't bother me. This is my preference, since you asked:

2 boss/ibanez/paddle switching pedals book ending a pedal in the middle with the true bypass styled stomp. And I like brighter colors--not black/grey/etc.

One of my favorite setups was:

Sd1--phase 90--ad9

Still use the SD1 (ironically, my favorite drive ever), getting another AD9, and may put as mastotron in the middle.

Still, this does not trump an all turquoise color scheme.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
If all my favorite pedals suddenly looked like a coiled pile of dog poop, they still wouldnt go anywhere. Its a nice bonus if they have some style but a low priority on the totem pole.

rotlung

It certainly does play a role, but bad looks aren't going to keep me away from a great sounding pedal. It could however pique my interest of a pedal though. You place two similar style pedals side by side, and I'll probably grab the one with the cooler graphic/design first.

danonbass

People present this as a false dichotomy.

I choose both form AND function.

There are WAY too many overlapping choices sound wise in the boutique pedal market for me to buy one that I don't like the look of.

I like to like the things I pay a lot of money for, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are WAY too many overlapping choices sound wise in the boutique pedal market for me to buy one that I don't like the look of.

Couldn't have said it better.

Jason_77

Yep!

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I don't really think much about how a pedal looks and I've never bought a pedal because I thought it looked cool/good. BUT there are some pedals that I wouldn't buy (some with genuinely macabre graphics for example) and some I'm inclined not to because they are painted like toys (like the BBE stuff did for a good stretch). It's not like there aren't enough choices for me. There is no single pedal that I "need".

Peace,

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
Let's be real about this: We're talking about TGP...some of you would probably choose a limited edition/hand painted ZVEX over a date with the hottest woman alive, and probably go to bed every night coddling your Donnerbox'd Skreddy like it were the only thing in life that matters :facepalm

Not that I myself have never thought that a pedal had a cool theme or design and was attracted to it...but I'm just saying :JAM

JackJordan

I've said this before.... I'll try things that I think look nice long before I try things that I don't. I don't think that's petty, I think that's smart. Frankly I don't have enough time to read every book, so I have to narrow down my search by judging their cover... :aok

The exception to the above would be if someone I trusted recommended it.

I'd much rather have a good looking pedal (and yes this is subjective) to a bad looking one, and as someone mentioned before: there are enough choices that I don't feel the need to compromise tone and/or looks. :cool:

ejkennedy

As already emphasized, with the ridiculous amount of great sounding pedals why get an ugly one.
I have yet to try an ugly pedal or one that was aesthetically questionable that I actually liked a lot. Plain enclosure one offs not included.

Funky Monkey

Gold Supporting Member
I've chosen pedals strictly based on how appealing their appearance was to me, but only if I was already looking a at that pedal because of the sound (for example, a swirl-finish Mojo Vibe instead of the solid purple one.) I have not, however, passed on a pedal that gave me the sound I was looking for just because I didn't like the way it looked (or a ridiculous, even offensive, name.)

jmaster67

Also, there are certain pedals that because of the size, weight, shape, and color, just feel comforting in your hand.
Pedals like the Dynacomp 76 reissue, Fulltone 69 mk2 and soul bender mk 2, TC Trinity, and Xotic SP just have a tactile attractiveness to them.

DC Music

Form AND function!!! Amen.

My only exception is when I built my Muff clone. For some reason I HAD to put that build into my big reissue Muff box, I couldn't face putting it in a crappy small enclosure with no colour on it. Didn't seem right for a Muff to live like that so it gets a big box!

Trending Topics