Buying some Solder on Amazon; came across this HILARIOUS gem of a review.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RockStarNick, Jan 22, 2015.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Buying a spool of Kester 63/37 Solder, and came across this 5 star review.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1VK2Q...N=B00068IJX6&nodeID=16310091&store=industrial

Plumbum.... A "other Metal" by any other name would smell just as sweet., June 10, 2014
    By
    Spukhafte

Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 63/37 .031 1 lb. Spool
    Have you ever wanted to solder micro PCB transistors and resistors like a demi god/ robot? Then this solder is for you.

Do you want a lead solder with a competent flux that will bond your connections like a champ, and give off fumes with the sweet taste of Bismuth salts and antimony that pairs nicely with a glass of Montepulciano or a Sanghiovese?
    Then this flux core is for you.

Do you want to live as long as possible and keep your sperm count up? Then maybe you'd prefer a Rohs solder, and after throwing it across the room you'll realize: laboratories and electronics are not for you.

We all die sometime, we're surrounded by death. No need for the constant reminder from our electronic devices that die before their time, due to inferior Rohs compliant solders.

Women like mysterious dangerous men, and what could be more dangerous than a man who breathes fire and lead fumes? Nothing. Take it from me: a scientist; put a roll of this bad boy in your laboratory and watch the panties drop. Now I know what you're thinking: "we have a disparity in the sciences, with too few women taking degrees in the hard sciences thanks to years of uninformed dogmatic gender role ascribing women to careers other than the hard sciences. Now we're paying the price. Do you realize how hard it is to get a lady in your laboratory?"

Well, true. And no. I don't.
    because I use spools of lead solder.

Fact: women are drawn to the sweet smell of Bismuth salts and the pheromones excreted by a man with acute lead toxicity coursing through his veins are unmistakably unique.

It intoxicates their senses, they're drawn on a genetic level to procreate with you *immediately* because, with lead, there might not be much more time.

Pretty sure Darwin mentions the mechanics of this exact biological drive in his work "The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals" but I wouldn't know. I'm a real scientist, not a biologist so I've not the time to read such quackery.

What I do know about women I've learned from observation and captain Kirk.

From observation I can assure you, heat up some of this solder, sit back and watch the women come in droves. Your lab will make Hugh's house look an all boy's academy. Hang another roll from your review mirror. Trust me. This solder will save us from the gender disparity in the sciences. It will save future generations. But, don't wait, copulate. After all, it is lead bearing solder, so there's not much time.

I will continue to buy this solder.

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Brilliant :roll
    -
    Austin

3. Kingofdogs1950

Kingofdogs1950 Member

4. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Nice review... I'm not sure how true it is. :huh

They throw tons of that stuff away at work because it supposedly expires in a year. :tapedshut We still use the leaded stuff. :red

6. rodger

rodger Member

I have a roll of very thin Kester lead solder that I got over 30 years ago. About 5 years ago, I lost it. Only non-lead solder was available at Lowe's and Home Depot. I bought a roll - worthless stuff compared to the real deal.

A month ago, I found my old Kester solder in a gig bag full of long-ago removed pickups, bad cables, etc. OH HAPPY DAY!!

I don't solder much anymore (Electronic Technician, by trade - so, I used to solder and de-solder very complex PC boards a lot). But, when I do solder these days, my fiancée gets a wild, hungry look in her eyes. I can attest to the aphrodisiac quality of lead-based solder. :dude

7. standard24

standard24 Member

For someone who might solder a few guitar cables or pickups once in a while.... How dangerous is that lead stuff?

8. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Probably safer than someone who breathes in bus fumes in the city 5 days a week... LOL.

9. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

It seems like a funny review, but it's all true. Women dig men who solder with lead.

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Depends how much of it you eat.

I typically solder with disposable gloves, but mostly to protect the components from oils and contamination. Lead on skin is harmless, but do wash your hands well before doing anything like eating or smoking.

11. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Truer words have never been written.

12. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Wife wants our son to use lead free solder. I get it, but lead free isn't as good, especially for a newbie learning to solder.