Buying two DOD Overdrives when I already have 4 ODs? Talk me down/convince me!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jo-Jo Beans, May 5, 2016.

1. Jo-Jo Beans

Jo-Jo Beans Member

Hey y'all, so I'm being seriously tempted to buy the DOD 250 and the Looking Glass right now - the 250 is on sale for $50 at GC right now so I could sell it on Reverb used for a tiny profit even if I don't keep it. I know the DOD 250 gets a lot of love around here, so at that price it's almost too good to pass up.

And while I was checking out the 250, I found the Looking Glass, a "touch sensitive" transparent overdrive with independent treble/bass controls and started GASsing pretty hard for that one too.

So I've got about $200 to spend, which just so happens to be the price of those two pedals together. I kinda have my eye on a couple other overdrives too, though, like the Mad Professor Sweet Honey or the Bluebird, and also maybe a Fulltone OCD. The Looking Glass is kinda pricey for a mass-produced pedal and if there's anything else in its price range used or new, I'm willing to give it a look. Any other overdrives I should check out or consider instead?

Also, I already have four overdrives on my board: A Soul Food, a Keeley Red Dirt, a DIY Tube Screamer clone, and a TC Spark that I use with the gain all the way up as a light overdrive/boost. I'm also kinda out of space on my board so something's gotta give if I like one or both of the pedals I'm considering. Whadda you guys think???

2. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

I'm not going to be that helpful because I hoard overdrives.

But... its not like you can't alternate.

As far as the buying/selling of the DOD 250, they are on sale allllllll the time, so you won't lose out if you don't buy it right now. It will be $50 again.

3. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

4. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Don't do it. But do buy a Timmy and a klone instead.

5. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

Get the DOD250...great pedal cant beat the price !!

6. Unchained81

Unchained81 Member

I think the DOD 250 is a great sounding pedal and I'd recommend it. But honestly I don't see you selling it for a profit or even to break even anytime soon. I doubt someone would buy a used pedal for equal or more when they can just buy it brand new. But I also don't think you'd want to flip it anyways considering how good it is and the fact that you got it for only $50. I'm not into hoarding pedals (if it's not on my board I sell it) but this is one I would keep even if it ever came off my board. No point in selling it for $40 or $50 bucks.

7. mtayl339

mtayl339 Member

If you're looking for people to convince you to buy FEWER pedals, you came to the wrong place!

8. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Truth right there ;)

I'm looking at 8 sitting in my music area right now and two of them are the exact same pedal.

Get those ODs man, life is too short to miss out on something that could be great fun and costs little. It beats the heck out of spending that money on junk food or video games :D

Jo-Jo Beans and shoepedals like this.
  9. thesooze

thesooze Member

I recently acquired the 250 and the Looking Glass and love both of them!! I say go for it.

10. unreal77

unreal77 Member

Looking Glass. No brainer!

11. Jo-Jo Beans

Jo-Jo Beans Member

Ha ha. You mean this isn't the recovering pedal addicts support group? I must have made a wrong turn somewhere...

I've tried a bunch of klones. Happy with my Soul Food. But I forgot about a Timmy... I totally need ("need") one of those too. Maybe I'll be purchasing three pedals then!

Well when you put it that way... :)