• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Buying used guitars online is a bad deal

Fowleri

I dont think I’ll eve buy a used guitar online again. Ive had nothing but issues with a used 2018 Ibanez that never stays in tune despite having a setup and doing everything right. Two people before me had this guitar and sold it, clearly was a lemon.

Thats the problem with buying used online especially with no returns which is almost always the case. In most cases, the seller will never be fully honest and just wants to get rid of the guitar, always no returns. You can’t try the guitar and only go by photos. Its a bad deal. Sure, you’ll hear the stories of people who claim they got an amazing deal and the guitar was perfect, but also many get burned and what do they do? Sell it back again lol a lot of people think their positive anecdotal experiences somehow changes or negates the fact that many do experience the opposite, typical human nature.

just because you got lucky with good deal in a perfectly good used guitar does not mean this is the norm and is a good option for others especially with no returns available and not being able to test thing the thing

You have no idea what could be wrong with a guitar, could be a lemon, have lots of issues but looks nice in photos I guess. Sometimes is better to just buy new when it comes to items like this that you cant try. Makes sense to buy a used car, cause you can test drive, have a mechanic check it, even then you can still get a lemon, but a guitar online with no testing. You think people are honest?

I know a guy who paid over $1000 for a classical guitar on reverb, guitar looked nice in photos but has a warped neck and completely unplayable this cant be fixed and of course is not returnable, the seller is now gone and unresponsive and now he is left paying off this fail guitar

Sometimes for trying to save a buck, you get burned and end up spending more money later on repairs or losing money by having to sell the defective item at a lower price.

we dont live in this heavenly utopia where every person is honest and behaves the way you do especially on the internet where anonymity exist and one can get away with lots of things.

Sure, some may have gotten lucky with deals and the guitars were in perfect condition, but these are anecdotal and it doesn’t change the fact a lot of people on the internet get burned with used items and no recourse. As usual in life, you will always hear the happy stories.

If you’re selling a used guitar, if your so confident in how good its is then why not offer returns? That fact that they dont shows they trying to get rid of it at all costs and leaving you with no possible recourse . 9 out of ten, something is wrong with it.

Last edited:

sleewell

i have purchased all my guitars used online and never had an issue. i love them all.

hyperbole is hyperbolic.

you sound really foolish when you say you can't return something or can't file a dispute to get your money back because that happens all the time. they make the system so buyer friendly for a reason. i bought a guitar on reverb that arrived with a snapped headstock. got my money back instantly and did not have to pay for return shipping.

Yam the BOMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I’ve bought MANY used guitars online from private sellers. No issues at all. But I got an “excellent” described guitar from guitar center that was BAD shape. But even that one played and sounded great so I kept it too.

You just had a bad experience. Doesn’t mean the whole system is flawed.

Jim85IROC

It's a game of odds. I've bought and sold a lot of guitars, virtually all of them sight-unseen. Once in a while you end up with a dud. If I decided to stop buying online to avoid the occasional dud, I would have missed out on a lot of great guitars.

And fortunately, I'm handy enough that every one of those duds I got was gone through, addressed its issues, and resold it (or kept it) without any of those problems. Almost any issue you get aside from a structural defect can usually be easily fixed if you know what you're doing.

Tuning issues are the nut 99% of the time, and the bridge the other 1% of the time. Once in a blue moon it might be an unstable neck or a slipping tuner, but not often.

Chuckracer

Gold Supporting Member
There are several hundred of us here buying and selling online at TGP and have been for years. The only time I got screwed was long ago on a "67 Strat Neck" for a price that was too good to be true, and that was on ebay. I almost got screwed on a "Jake E Lee Replica 77 Fender Stratocaster"...it was a Tokai as far as I and a friend could figure but that was a then-new business and they took it back (while arguing with me all the way).
Otherwise...50 to 75 happy transactions. Check peoples feedback, whatever my feedback says double it, cause I've been doing business here since long before the rating system was put in place, and so have many others. I'd gamble on the established members here all day long, and do.

Reactions: Rod

Ron Kirn

Platinum Supporting Member
Some guys know how to find a diamond in the rough, some don't.

Bingo! I tell guys to be wary unless they are reasonably adept at guitar maintenance.. if so, one can "hit the big time" picking up what the seller percieves as a total turkey, and with an hour or so of bench time the guitar can become a sweetheart of a deal..

So if you're contemplating becoming good at betting on the come, then learn basic maintenance.. then kick it up a notch and learn maintenance to a little higher level... there's a lotta $100.00 garage sale beasties out there that can be tamed into a very reliable pet..

r

Last edited:

Fowleri

There are several hundred of us here buying and selling online at TGP and have been for years. The only time I got screwed was long ago on a "67 Strat Neck" for a price that was too good to be true, and that was on ebay. I almost got screwed on a "Jake E Lee Replica 77 Fender Stratocaster"...it was a Tokai as far as I and a friend could figure but that was a then-new business and they took it back (while arguing with me all the way).
Otherwise...50 to 75 happy transactions. Check peoples feedback, whatever my feedback says double it, cause I've been doing business here since long before the rating system was put in place, and so have many others. I'd gamble on the established members here all day long, and do.
This may be your only option if you’re looking for old models or discontinued guitar but if the guitar you want is still a available and made today, is always better to buy new.

If all you want is old discontinued models then your only choice is the used market.

Makes sense why would someone why a relatively new guitar only to sell it later and no returns?

9 out of ten is because it has an issue

Lonnie00

just because you got lucky with good deal in a perfectly good used guitar does not mean this is the norm and is a good option for others especially with no returns available and not being able to test thing the thing
Sorry you got burned, but I wholly disagree. I've bought at least a hundred used guitars online and haven't had an issue that isn't easily rectified. I've bought probably 30 or so form GC used online and a few showed up with dings/dents that weren't mentioned even after calling the store they were at and asking someone to look at it for me and send pics. Every single time I've called the store immediately and received some $$$ back.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
For me as well. You could triple my feedback rating with the number of guitars and amps I’ve bought and sold through The Gear Page over the years.. Never had any issues with established members here.... :) :)

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Why don't people accept returns? Buyer's remorse. That and the fact you have no idea what the buyer may have done to the guitar while it was out of your possession.

I own 30+ guitars, and 27 of them were bought online. So I do not subscribe to your theory here.

Fowleri

Why don't people accept returns? Buyer's remorse. That and the fact you have no idea what the buyer may have done to the guitar while it was out of your possession.

I own 30+ guitars, and 27 of them were bought online. So I do not subscribe to your theory here.
anecdotal evidence thats all

Chicago Slim

I don't believe that all guitars are equal or built consistently. When I buy a Mexican made Fender, I'll play 10 to 20, before deciding on one. When I look at American built Fenders the quality is better, but I have a more limited selection. The MIM guitar turn out to be the guitars that I keep the longest. Although if I really like the guitar, I'll replace the electronics with higher grade parts.

I've found some good deals with used guitars. But I always buy in person after playing. Sometimes I have bought used guitars that were just poorly adjusted. Often, they are sold because they are just very heavy. If that's how you like your guitars, it might work out good for you. So, I can see either side.

zeppelinpage4

I always try before I buy if I’m using Craigslist or Reverb, and if I’m unable to try it out first I stick to major retailers with good return policies like guitar center for used gear.

Trending Topics