Buzz Feiten and Peterson VS2 tuner...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rick66, Jul 27, 2006.

1. rick66

rick66 Member

i'm considering getting a buzz feiten nut on one of my guitars. i understand that the VS2 does not have the buzz feiten "offsets". can someone help me program the VS2 and then explain how i use the tuner to tune and intonate my guitar? thanks in advance.

2. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

3. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Actually it's about as easy to reach over and tweak the "cents" knob as you go. I programmed all that stuff in, too, but I end up doing the offsets manually as a visual confirmation of what I'm doing. Your tech should be able to give you the offsets, mine did. The Korg DT-7 has them built in, but the Peterson is easier to read. You can also use a regular tuner for tuning quickly using a method posted on the Tom Anderson and Suhr websites. That's also how I tune when capo'd. BFTS is really good, especially on some troublsome guitars.

4. rick66

rick66 Member

wow, i didn't realize it was this intense. so, i have to have my tech show me how to tune using the VS2?

thanks for the link above. i read that before and have read it again. i'm still getting confused a bit. i'll try reading once more and post any additonal questions i may have. thanks.

5. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

I do the same as gtrnstuff.

The following is for an electric 6 string.

Open strings are:
    E = -2
    A = -2
    D = -2
    G = -2
    B = +1
    e = 0

12th Fret are:
    E = 0
    A = 0
    D = +1
    G = +1
    B = 0
    e = 0

Mike

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

Yup, the offsets can be found in the patent which you can read through the US patent office website.

Don't get the Korg DT-7. It's only accurate to about 1 cent and I feel when adjusting intonation you want the most accurate tuner you can get.

However, if you don't want to spend lots of dineros on the Peterson, try the AP Tuner software. I've used it for years and it's extremely accurate. It has the Buzz Feiten offsets as a "stretch table" preset too.

7. rick66

rick66 Member

i already have the VS2.