• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Buzz Feiten offsets?

Prititing

Hi. I bought a great R9 with the BF compensated nut. The seller recommended a Peterson tuner but I searched TGP and the consensus is the Turbo Tuner is better. So I got one, but now i don't have the offsets so i can have them in my tuner. Is that public info? Where can i get them?
Thanks.
George

kimock

Hi. I bought a great R9 with the BF compensated nut. The seller recommended a Peterson tuner but I searched TGP and the consensus is the Turbo Tuner is better. So I got one, but now i don't have the offsets so i can have them in my tuner. Is that public info? Where can i get them?
Thanks.
George
Check the Peterson forum, I'm sure they're there.

David Collins

E: 0
B: +1
G: -2
D: -2
A: -2
E: -2

Then everything intonated to 0 at the 12, except for the G and D intonated +1.

I made a spreadsheet that calculates the BFTS offsets relative to standard non-compensated nut intonation. This is not to imply that standard is perfect across the board or for every setup, but only that be it good or bad, it is a suitable reference to compare other offsets to. This one is based on the plain G electric model of offsets, .030" nut compensation, and a 25.5 scale length. The numbers you see indicate how far and in what direction (sharp or flat) the notes on a BFTS guitar would theoretically lie in relation to standard.

Of course, if all you want to know is how to tune it, the offsets for open strings are in the "nut" column.

Edit: oops - looks like I ran that through based starting from wound G compensation.. I'll fix it shortly...

Edit: All fixed, and calculated for a 24 3/4" Gibson scale now too.

Last edited:

David Collins

Thanks Rosewood, I think... A more appropriate word might be dork.:p

I spent the last three evenings working out formulas in a spreadsheet, with all sorts of logarithms and variable root mumbo jumbo. It's certainly more academic than it is useful in the real world. Still, there are a lot of other numbers on the back page that build up to those which can offer interesting insight to what's really happening with varying styles of compensation.

I vote we should have a guitar nerd/geek emoticon. :banana

David Collins

Luke - I love it.
Locrian - yes, the numbers are cents.

Walter, It will come out as all 0.0 with standard tuning and intonation, only if I also remove the nut compensation. With nut compensation, but without the offsets, we end up with this.

Of course this is really just academic - there are no real pitch deviations shown here. These are only how each note would be expected to change given that every factor other than nut compensation and offsets remained perfectly consistent. Since that's rarely true when comparing one system to another, these chars should not be taken as any concrete differences.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom