Buzz Feiten tuning question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by docgorpon, Apr 13, 2008.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I have a Custom Shop Washburn. They come standard with the Buzz Feiten tuning system. I've just been tuning it the regular way, and wasn't aware until recently that there is a different method to tuning a Buzz Feiten guitar. It sounded fine being tuned standard as far as I could tell.

Now I'm trying to tune it the proper way (finding the E note on specific frets of each string and tuning to that). Seems to work ok. But you're supposed to be tuning to the E on the 14th fret of the D string.

However, when I tune that D string to the 14th fret E, it's flat as hell everywhere else.

?

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

Just set it up, intonate, and tune it normal. I've measured out a number of Washburns including their Custom Shop instruments, and have yet to find one that had any nut compensation at all. The only Feiten feature on those things is the decal, which is just as well in my opinion.

3. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Thank You! I thought I was going insane! I would check new Washburns as they came into the store & my Strobe showed no Intonation tweaks at all!

4. David Collins

David Collins Member

Yeah, it's not only that they're not intonated with any offsets, but the nut's are not compensated a bit. They'll measure to the 12th root of 2 rule pretty much on the mark, with no .030"(electric) or .020"(acoustic) compensation.

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Good to hear. I have an HB 35 and an XB 900 bass, both supposedly having Feiten compensation. I have always tuned them normally & they sound fine. Now I know why. Thanks David!

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

reeaally? i've recently come to the conclusion that the nut compensation is the only worthwhile aspect of the BF system, and now you say that some "licensed" companies aren't even doing that?!

7. Martian

Martian Member

Maybe I'm ignorant but I have not seen any benefit of this device (or whatever it is) on any guitar I've ever played with it installed. I still don't even understand what it is that its supposed to do.