• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Buzzaround clones: Ghost Effects Buzzaround vs Arc Effects Crimson King (vs. others?)

mrwrang

Has anyone tried both of these? Any noticeable differences?
The Arc is a bit more expensive, but I'm leaning towards buying that one right now.
I live in Europe, so they seem as the two most reasonably priced options.
Feel free to mention other Buzzaround clones and how they compare to these two.

ufo~

Man, I love my Crimson King. It's a whole other level of fuzz. If that's the sound you're after, it more than gets the job done. I really want to try the Ghost Effects B3. It's the only other Buzzaround clone I'm interested in. Soon... very soon.

superslidetail

Silver Supporting Member
I owned the Arc Crimson King and Dentone Buzzaround. I think I preferred the Dentone as the Arc was a little too gated sounding to me.

midwayfair

Arcane Analog makes one too, I think it's called the Buzzsaw.

Madbean sells a DIY project PCB if you're handy with a soldering iron. And Smallbear sells a transistor set.

emeka

I haven't tried the Crimson King, but Ghost pedals are killer. You really can't go wrong with Ian's builds.

You might consider his Dizzy Tone for another closely related buzzaround option. That pedal is a little angrier than a standard buzz build and seems to have more treble content available. Highly recommended.

ProtoGuitars

My Ghost Buzzaround Black Country is one of the best fuzz pedals Ive ever owned or played (out of thousands, no exaggeration). A permanent keeper.
One of the only Buzzaround contenders Ive played was the Ghost Dizzy Tone. With a Buzzaround it's all about how well the builder chooses the transistors and how good he is at biasing them. Dont let anything else sway your decision - Buzzarounds are 100% about the ability and skill of the builder. Ian is a master.

capricorn_1

Unfortunately I am NOT doing Buzzarounds at the moment, I have no cases in stock and my supply of NKT214s is low. I might be able to squeeze 1 more run of NKT214 ones or I may just shove them over to the Black Country custom stuff, either way they are off the menu for the time being.
If you see one 2nd hand...grab it!:bonk

I AM still doing Dizzy Tones though and have every intention of carrying on with these!;)

Crimson Queen

Silver Supporting Member
The EarthQuaker Devices Sound Shank is a Buzzaround circuit, I think. I would love to try a Crimson King, though.

Spawn

Creepy Fingers makes a killer buzzaround. I have a custom made Fuzzbud with some additional tonal options. He's easy to deal with. Explain to him what you want and he'll make it for you.

evaporatus

Gold Supporting Member
I have the arcane analog & skinpimp, both are excellent, but I would get one with master volume. These are best at high output & gain

MadFrank

Silver Supporting Member
I have the arcane analog & skinpimp, both are excellent, but I would get one with master volume. These are best at high output & gain
+1 I too have a Skinpimp (Ryan Kirkland-era) Buzzaround and would agree that it's a circuit you can really open up with volume. lot's of awesome fuzz tones in any great build, but volume playes a part in the pedals tonal variations too. Unless of course your not volume-restricted in the first place!

zztomato

I've got one of these but with an added volume and mid character switch on the side. Absolutely my favourite fuzz. It's one of the few fuzzes that cuts through a thick mix of sounds.

Andy cowman

Ive got the arcane Analog Buzzaround and can't recommend it enough!
The circuit has the fabled nkt213s and is built into a gorgeous wedge enclosure.
I live in the UK and have imported a few of Andrews/arcane Analog pedals.
There absolutely top draw with impeccable build quality.

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
The Klinger Buzz Fuzz is pretty awesome. I've got a V1, to which Shaun added a Pre-Gain pot. Very versatile.

mrwrang

Thanks for all the inputs. Most of the builders are US based mentioned are US based with no EU importers, which means import fees for me. Right now, the Ghost Dizzy Tone is my best bet. The EQD sound shank is based on the Buzz too, right? I have some EQD stuff that I love, but... might just go with Ian on this one.

cbickford84

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a Arc B3 on TGP. Can't wait to play it. I'm a Muff guy, so I'm curious to see how they compare.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom