% by 13 9/15,10/20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crawdad, Jul 2, 2006.

1. crawdad

crawdad Member

i recently played a % by 13 9/15. great amp, but it broke up a little too quick for me. how is the 10/20 on clean headroom? i don't mind if it has some hair on it (i rarely play "80's funk" clean). i just like to control the OD on the floor. does fred make 1x12 combos?

adam

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

3. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

Not to be a jerk, but I've never heard of a percent by 13... Might want to amend that to a divided by 13 in order to get a quicker response.

Wish I could help you on this one but you certainly came to the right forum- there are a lot of 13 users around! Good Luck-

4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have and LOVE the SJT 10/20 combo, s/n 3 bought from here. The treble pot is a pull pot which (i think) engages an additional gain circuit. With the pot pulled (gain added) the amp breaks up at low volumes. With the pot in (normal) I can play at band levels (drummer, keys, bass, etc) somewhat easily. IF the drummer is slamming, then I have to juice it up, and it begins to break up.

The SJT combo is without a doubt the best sounding, sonically deep, little combo amp I have ever stumbled across. It might go to my grave with me.

Now, what I would LOVE to hear, is the ERT or RSA in a combo. I'm just more a combo amp guy than I am head/cabby. Maybe I'm lazy....I dunno....:)

5. crawdad

crawdad Member

i hear you on the combo thing. i'd like to make one trip from the car to the door. but apparently he doesn't make them anymore.

a store near me has a 37. i figure i'll try that out and maybe it'll give me an idea of how the 10/20 sounds. i'm sure there will be differences, but they are supposed to be related.

thanks for the input,

adam

6. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

The combos are hard on tubes and the way they hang sideways, theres a tendency to rattle. Plus, you have to remove the chassis to get to the tubes. The head alone is quite heavy. The combos are beasts.

7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I played a 37 on half power turned up a bit with an American Tele last weekend. That amp is simply amazing. It's everything you could want in a clean overdriven tone.

BTW...for those of you near Atlanta the GC on 85 has two divided's, the 37 & (I think)a SJT 10/20. Also don't forget there is a divided dealer near Little Five Points.

8. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I have both the 9/15 and the 10/20

They are different animals all together. The 10/20 is a killer deluxe reverb with some added features and has a fender clean and about as much headroom as a deluxe

the 9/15 has about as much clean headroom as a tweed deluxe or an ac15.

9. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

.....for those who don't know the relative break-up levels of the DRs, and AC-15s, how would you describe them?

I take it that the 9/15 breaks up earlier than the 10/20 ?

thanks - - Richard

10. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

the 10/20 is going to be a little cleaner than the 9/15 but the 9/15 gets big and growly and loud. Then it works amazing with a volume control. The 10/20 just doesn't have the gain on tap like the 9/15

what amp are you currently using and what style of music and where do you play?

11. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

...thanks for the reply, Mastervolume.

I'm playing a DR / ESP Vintage Plus strat / and play a variety of instrumental/classic rock, with my own tunes tossed in. Berkeley is my home ground. By the way, I'm the fellow who bought your TR, but it is still at my sister's house in LA, where you dropped it off! I've never even played it, or had the opportunity to get it up here....oh well, soon, soon - - - - Richard

12. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Ouch...that is a great amp, speakers are still new.

if you are not a pedal guy for your OD then I would go 9/15, if you like warm fenders with killer reverb and better bottom end (actually both amps) then the 10/20

13. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

.....it is in the corner of my sister's spare room, waiting for me. When I was down there at the end of April, for my Dad's birthday gift (the LA Symphony's Disney concert hall performance of Beethoven's 5th, wow, now that was a great performance and venue), I barely had time to check it out visually, and of course it looks fine, but I was in such a rush I didn't get a chance to play it, nor, for that matter, did I have a guitar handy.

What can I say......maybe I'm just into deferred gratification.....

14. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

One thing that I experienced with the 9/15 just for my tastes is that it is voiced SUPER bright. It was too bright for me; the 10/20 is a fantastic amp. One of my favorites in the fender arena. I only sold my 10/20 cause I have a '66 Deluxe Rev that takes the cake for me and I bought the RSA 23 big box version. good luck man.