/ By 13: What Tubes and Speakers are you Running

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Oct 5, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

I've got a / by 13 SJT 10/20 and I'm using the stock tubes with G12H30 Speakers. It sounds good, but I'm getting some woofieness /Ghost tones through the speakers. I tried other speaker Cabs and still the same. Maybe the Tubes?

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

is your cab closed back? from what i've read, the d/13 cab helps a lot. maybe you should try switching out one of the g12h30's for a blue or something of the sort.

3. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

I've got the original tubes in my SJT 10/20 but I'm favoring an alnico Tone Tubby at the moment- I've tried a whole lot of speakers and it's the best so far, at least with my Teles and IMHO. One of these days, I'll get around to trying different tubes but I'm loving it now- let us know what works for you when you find it!

Forgot to add that mine is a combo- that will make a difference.

4. Richards

Richards Member

In my RSA 31 amp I am using 2 celestion alnico blues, and I am using the stock JJ tubes which sound great, but would love to know if anyone else has tried NOS tubes in there div by 13 amps? , in particular the RSA 31 or ERT 33 models? Anyone tried any different tubes?

5. AK1

AK1 Member

I've owned the 9/15 and now have the RSA23.
    Tube uprades in both amps make a tremendous difference.
    Mullards in the preamp section, Valvo EL84s and a Bugle Boy GZ34 as the rectifier tube, a Mullard GZ34 turned out too stiff.
    As for the 6V6 side, Genalex from the 50s, but RCA's are an improvement as well.
    Plugging in these tubes turned the 9/15 into a different amp, a priceless
    improvement.
    Same thing with the RSA23.
    As for speakers, the Scumbacks come out way on top, and I prefer the Weber 30w Blue Dog over the Celestion.
    Freds amps are super cool.

6. Lamont

Lamont Member

Like AK1 ,im a proud owner of a cpl 23s--i went out and got myself some telefunkin , Mullards and really wanted to hear the improvement---i just didnt!! Could be a number of things ,,but i just went back to the JJs and it sounds great.Did experiance some fuse blowin a bit later ,turned out to be the JJ GZ-34.Put in a Mullard and have had no problums.
    Im sure to try this again sometime ,but for now the JJs work just fine .Did however stock up on some 5879s.
    Speakers choices turned out to be 60s silver bulldogs in the d-13 open 2-12 cab--and for the small box 23 w/ the Marshall 2061 cab ,i put in the Weber silverbells over the g12h-30s--these are JUST FANTASTIC!!!

7. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

If I wanted a warm, crunchy rock rhythm amp, is there a certain / by 13 I should look at?

Trying to figure out what to look at when I buy my next amp... other amp I'm considering is a Komet Constellation...

8. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I bought TeleTubby's SJT combo a few months ago. He mentioned above having original tubes. I want to replace them as it seems to be sounding a "little flat" recently, anyone have suggestions on power and preamp tubes for the SJT 10/20?
    thanks,
    Charlie

9. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

and all of them sounded incredible (and at their best to my ears) through a Bruno semi-open back 4x12 loaded with Celestion Blues. I've never had problems with loose bottom ends, lose of definition or ghost notes with any of my /13 ever. Just pure incredible tone from each.

10. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I put Holland made Westinghouse 12AX7'S AND A GE 12AT7 in my 33 and it sings, all of them have been around for a while but they all checked out strong the cab is open back with a V30 and a Greenback.Sounds great to all who have heard it!

11. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Hey Jeff, have installed those WCR Darkbursts yet??!:dude

12. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Not yet. I have to bring it down to Jimmy Somma so he can install them. I'd do it myself, but I have no idea how. Anyone care to walk me through it?:)

peace
    -jeff

13. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

...Sounds like others have had troubles with the stock recto tubes in their 13's too. I blew the Ruby rectifier in my 37 after a year.

Otherwise everything is stock and sounds great for now. FYI, if you ask Fred about putting NOS in one of his amps he may jump through the phone and kill you.

and, After testing a number of speakers, a Blue and Scumback H55 were best in the 212 IMO.

14. GasMask

GasMask Member

amen :AOK