By request - can you guess the cost of the pedal by its tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman3001, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Great post OP.

I thought number 3 was the cheapest because there was more background hiss.
    The other two sounded similar to me. All of them were a bit shrill to me. Maybe my ears are in bad shape.

2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Nah, your ears are fine. Tone is subjective and I think this thread confirms that. The opinions are all over the place. There are people who picked #1 as the best, others who picked #2 as the best, and others who picked #3 as the best regardless of the cost of the pedals.

As for the hiss from pedal #3, it could very well have been because in order to match the amount of gain/distortion/saturation of the other two pedals, I had to max the gain on pedal #3 while the others had their gain set much lower.

Gonkboy likes this.
  3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

A Klon Centaur that was bought new for $275 sounds identical to a Klon Centaur that was bought used for $2000. Food for thought. :aok

SweetClyde99 and songtalk like this.
  4. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Now you’ve done it. You’ve said the thing that you must never say on TGP.

5. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

The answer to the question is no, I don't even have to listen to know that I can't.

John Hurtt and GreenKnight18 like this.
  6. spentron

spentron Member

I first thought the 3rd pedal had less gain and that's why people either rated it first or last. Listening again, the 3rd pedal picks up the most pickup buzz and also hiss increases about the same amount. So what is probably happening is it cuts more bass and/or boosts more highs pre-distortion, giving it more clarity but also more problems. This may occur because its gain is cranked or it might be like that across the board. It does have enough ability to match the overall tone that doesn't stick out. It also may have a smoother nature and need more gain to sound as crunchy as the others. Probably some of both.

As to effects of cost on performance, I would expect a lot of attention on the actual pedal you get with a $300 pedal, but the design budget could be a higher with a company planning to sell 100 times as many $30 pedals. But of course many are similar at either price.

7. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Can’t tell pricing (that’s a stupid assumption to make anyways), but to me, best sounding in order would be 2, 3, 1.

edit: just realized I’m the answers were in page 2. Well, that settles it. The best thing out of this blind test is that it proves I’ve never liked pedal 1 anyways, not even when I owned it. Never heard of 2 and 3, but I’m going to check out #2. That one was nice!

8. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Nailed it. Pedal 3 has less gain on tap so I had to dime the gain to get as close as I could to the gain levels of the other two pedals, which had their gain controls set much lower.

Gonkboy likes this.
  9. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Agreed, and precisely why I made this thread. On another thread several people said a cheap pedal can't sound good and they can actually hear the cheapness in the tone. I offered this friendly challenge.

10. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

Ok, here goes nothing...I liked 1 the best, 2 is second, and 3 is third, which I didn't care for much.
    More guesses :
    1. $190
    2. $80
    3. $250

11. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

:facepalm

12. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

Well, I was close on #2, and way off on the others.

13. LookerBob

LookerBob Supporting Member

Ha... I ranked them 3, 2, 1. Might change in the room... at one point I thought I liked 1, 3, 2, so... who knows.

This just reinforces that a circuit is a circuit.

Questions I would ask would be:
    Should we be paying the person who developed the circuit? I'd say 'yeah, probably'.
    How durable is the cheap pedal? That's a big part of what you pay for, imho.

14. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

I’ll play. It’s easier to say what I would pay more for, since I’m not naive enough to think that really correlates to what someone actually charges.

I listened once thru each (car speakers), and then part way thru alternating between the different takes at the same part of the loop. It’s hard to tell if just EQ differences other than pedal 3 seeming to be noisy. Pedal one is darker and less defined to my ear than pedal two. Pedal three is hollowed out and has a bit of noise compare to the other tracks. I’d pay more for two, then one and then three, but none of them are really grabbing me (although the playing is great).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  15. Blue Mel

Blue Mel Silver Supporting Member

1st = #2 $195
    2nd = #3 $145
    3rd = #1 $50
    Thanks for the challenge....

16. juri

juri Member

1 $40
    2 $350
    3 $150

17. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

You again. I’m guessing all 3 are cheap, because you only buy cheap gear.

18. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

:roll

19. riffy

riffy Member

I haven't read the thread yet. I will have to go back and do it after I post this.
    I liked #3 the best. Followed by #2 and really didn't like #1 at all. I felt #1 was
    far too brash for my tastes. Little strange in the top end. #3, while I liked it the best, was the noisiest of the bunch to my ears. #2 was next in noise. # 1 I didn't like it enough to even care.

As far as price goes, I honestly have no idea. For reference, my favorite Tube Screamer type pedal is the Bad Monkey.

Gary

20. Blahfingers

Blahfingers Member

I think I liked #2 the most, but then I wondered whether it was because it seemed the loudest.
    I also found my opinion changed depending on which song/riff was being played. I liked #1 the least for the opening section, because it seemed muffled to me.
    Dunno, but I was listening through cheap headphones and I should've waited until I got home to use my studio monitors.