By request - can you guess the cost of the pedal by its tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman3001, Jan 14, 2020.

1. blackbird

blackbird Member

All sound the same to me, the listener.
    The one that inspires the player is the best.

2. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

So from my ears, the cheap'uns were bright.

3. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I haven't seen the answers, if they are actually there already, so my guess is:

1st place for Pedal 1.
    2nd place for Pedal 3.
    Last place for pedal 2.

As for prices that's hard!

Pedal 1: $200
    Pedal 2: $60
    Pedal 3: $125

4. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Not bad! Fun game :)

Gonkboy likes this.
  5. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I'm a disgusting savage in general, went in expecting them to be too close to say I had a real preference but #2 sounded better to me, followed by #1. #3 was a ways behind.

No idea on the pedal, I guess it sounded kind of like a humbucker into a MXR Distortion+?

6. h-pr

h-pr Member

Considering that the price doesn't necessarily say much about how much I like it or how good it actually sounds, this was a weird kind of exercise, but an interesting one nevertheless.

My guesses:
    1) $60-$80
    2) $80-$150
    3) $70-$90

And here my thoughts upon reading the actual results:

The $125 pedal sounded pretty flat to me, as if it was set to low gain, and overall it felt like a pedal that was bored with itself and unwilling to do much in terms of overtones. It was my least favorite, and I felt that it might cost about $60-$80, but I wouldn't be willing to spend that much money on it.

The $75 pedal sounded pretty interesting, quite vivid and with nice overtones. I felt that it could compete with pedals in the $80-$150 price range. I like this one best.

I liked the $25 pedal better than the first one, but nowhere near as much as the second one. Besides, it was obvious that the gain was cranked up much higher than the first two pedals, so the comparison didn't feel entirely fair.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  7. spentron

spentron Member

But few common topologies reduce bass as gain goes to maximum. Pedal 3 doesn't sound different because the gain is cranked, it's cranked because it's a lower gain type of pedal and that's also why it sounds different. To clarify what I meant, FWIW.

8. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

They all sound about the same quality to me. I've never had good luck with overdrive pedals into a clean amp anyway.

Edit: On the B-Box should we factor in any cost for Xotic's R&D?

hippieboy likes this.
  9. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Nope. One of the claims was that cheap components sound cheap and they can hear that.

bobcs71 likes this.
  10. songtalk

songtalk Member

I find it interesting all the people complaining about the high end on #1 because that was the only one that sounded giggable to me. That lil extra high end is something you grow to appreciate at loud volumes.

I liked #1 best then #2 and last #3.

I agree more stuff like this thread would be cool!

thevelourfog and bailydread like this.
  11. bailydread

bailydread Supporting Member

woah! did not expect this. to me, 2 and 3 sounded the best. 1 was a noisy mess with a fizzy top end.

GeorgeNada likes this.
  12. bailydread

bailydread Supporting Member

i'll confess i have entertained this logic as well.

I was wrong!

guitarman3001 likes this.
  13. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

14. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Pedal #1 has been my main medium/high gain pedal for a long time now. The last couple of years I've been getting all of my higher gain levels from my amps but whenever I've needed a pedal for that type of dirt, Pedal #1 has been my go-to. The thick mids and high end really make it work well in a live mix. I recently picked up a Fender TMTR so I'm back to using pedals for all my dirt tones and after i tested a bunch of the ones I had sitting around, #1 was still my favorite. I've been trying others though just to get some variety.

I recently picked up a very cheap pedal that sounds like it could almost be a clone of it so I'm going to try that one out for a couple of gigs.

15. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Now that I've read the results-

Thanks OP. This was a fun exercise. I think a lot of people guessed 3 was the 'cheap' pedal because of what you've said; the gain had to be cranked, which raised the noise floor.

After I read the results I listened back again, and cycled through the different clips at each part, instead of listening to them all the way through. It's interesting to see how psychology played a part in my listening. Knowing that I was trying to pick out the cheapest pedal, I was looking for flaws in every clip, and was listening way more critically than I normally would. And I mean critical in a negative way- I was looking for the flaws!

Listening back I still like #2 the best, but that's probably because it's a little tippy and sounds a little louder than the others. It's a tossup between the other two. #1 still seems to be lacking something, but I don't know what? Someone else said harmonics or overtones, maybe that's it? #3 doesn't sound awesome soloed, but I can imagine it sitting well in a mix.

But the funny thing is they all sounded a lot better to me upon further listening! Before I knew the results I think I was keeping my guard up so I didn't end up "liking" the "cheap" pedal the best. Dumb, I know!

Again, thanks @guitarman3001 . It has been a fun experiment!

16. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

I am replying from page 1, without going through the rest of the thread.

Less drive on pedal 3 made is least suited to the tunes you were playing. Pedal 2 was voiced the best to play on stage. Pedal 1 was fine.

I could not begin to tell you the price, because almost everything these days about gear and prices is nonsense. I just learned about the Sundragon amp, and it turns my stomach, makes me wish the internet did not exist, and causes me to pine for 1984 when everybody agreed that a super bass, Hiwatt, or nice blackface was the pinnacle pro gear, and boss pedals sounded great.

This thread is fun, btw.

17. Hot In The Shade

Hot In The Shade Member

OP, this has nothing to do with the thread, but every time I see your user name I get this song stuck in my head:

18. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

All three sound crappy though.

sanfi4u likes this.
  19. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

#2 is a very cool, under the radar pedal. I think it would more than hold its own in a lot of these blind challenges against the better known TGP-approved MAIBs.

20. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Yep, not a big surprise. All three pedals belong to the same category.