Bye Bye GC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gillman royce, Feb 27, 2020.

1. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Walked in to my local GC to exchange some unopened D'Addorio 10-46 strings given to me at Christmas. I use 9's. Wouldn't do it without a receipt. The guy actually started down the road of needing proof that they were purchased, as in, not stolen. I'm retired. I've been around long enough to remember that this was the outfit that originated " the case no longer is automatically included in the deal " and the dime-on-the-dollar value if you want to sell to GC. I don't need this crap. I'll never step into another GC again.

2. Tootone

Tootone Member

I'd say "proof of purchase" is standard across the global retail industry.

And all over a set of strings @ $5?

Keep them as emergency spares.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

This is a good time for one of those “old man yells at cloud” memes.

4. doc

doc Supporting Member

Came onto this thread thinking "its finally happened, GC lost out to the debt and is shutting down". Relieved to find only some cloud cussing.

5. slugworth

slugworth Member

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

6. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Member

Yeah - no receipt, no return. Seems reasonable. How would they have any idea how old those strings might be? Should the next guy down the line buy those strings that some guy returned after four years? Come on man! For all the things to be unhappy with guitar center over, this ain’t one of em!

7. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

yeah i hate my local GC with the fire of 1000 suns but i do not agree with your reason for upset OP.

if the kid said something stupid, its on him, but he likely doesnt possess the verbal skills to deal with upset customers.

he should of have said, “sorry sir the policy is air tight anymore and im just not allowed. if you buy something over $150 today id be happy to give you a pack of your choice of strings as an apology”

they dont teach retail people how to think on their feet anymore.

8. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I have a feeling GC will not miss your business all that much. You're 1000% wrong in this situation, they can't accept a return or exchange on something (even unopened) more than 2 months after the items were purchased. They have policies, on new items you have a certain time frame (think it's 45 days?) and they'll take the return/exchange even without a receipt because it's in their system. You're outside of the time frame to return those, and no offense meant but it's your fault for waiting that crazy amount of time instead of just returning them soon after you got them.

9. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Supporting Member

I can't think of any business, anywhere, that would exchange merchandise without a receipt.

10. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)

They probably figured they were counterfeit. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  11. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

dunno doc.... my problems with gibson qc would start going away if i could get 25% off lol

fretless and Tootone like this.
  12. megaboogie

megaboogie Member

If you got it for christmas that means it was purchased before the christmas day thats way past the return days already.

13. muzishun

muzishun Member

I don't want your nasty old strings, no telling what is on the packaging.

Sam Xavier, ShredSquatch and T92780 like this.
  14. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

15. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Some will, but only if you paid by card and can provide them with the card the item was paid for with, and it’s not past the exchange/return window. They can look it up somehow by swiping the card. Home Depot, Walmart, Target are a few I know of. Not defending this $5 pack of string rant though. Besides, it wouldn’t apply to him anyway.

Sam Xavier, HERSCHEL, m.e. and 2 others like this.
  16. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I'll take them off your hands if you can't use them. I keep Deeahddario .010s as emergency spares in my zip bag at gigs.

17. Less Paule

Less Paule Member

If I were the salesperson in this situation, KNOWING what the "rules" were about returns/exchanges without a receipt and the KNOWING there's a time limit on "exchanges"......I would have looked at the customer, concluded that he was a senior citizen and as long as they were unopened, I would have let him exchange them for the 9's. They could be resold as new.....because THEY ARE.

I understand the younger generation is wary and fully appraised of the multi-state boosting ring-return artists operating across the United States that return ill gotten booty to local music stores USING SENIOR CITIZENS as a means to dupe unsuspecting minimum wage earners. Those &^%$#@ Boomers.........

Steady, PremiumPlus, Mr.db and 6 others like this.
  18. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Silver Supporting Member

Don't know where you live, but I'll bet there's a middle school or high school jazz band leader who wouldn't mind you donating them to restring their guitars.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Kyle B, neville5000, eeprete and 22 others like this.
  19. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Let me be more precise:
    1) It was nine sets
    2) It was the 40+ manager
    3) They used to , no questions asked , especially for good customers
    4) Good business practice/ Goodwill

20. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

People still complaining that GC gives you 60% of resale value on trade in. That's a good trade in value, idk what they expect. They need to make a profit to pay for shelving costs. If you don't like it, go list it yourself.