• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Bye Bye GC

LqdSndDist

I once wanted a certain germanium fuzz pedal for Christmas. Didn’t get, someone got me this cheap Chinese knockoff which said “vintage fuzz” but it wasnt, nor would one really expect an oc77 in a pedal costing $19.99 right ?

should any store take that pedal for an even trade for something else they have ? Obviously wasn’t purchased their, and given it was ordered before Christmas it’s way outside a return period anywhere....

Now before you answer, let me add the fact that I’m 77 years old to the equation.... does that now change your answer ? If so why ?

RolandKorg

Yeah, I tried to exchange an unused slide (wrong size), with a receipt that was past the policy exchange date and they wouldn’t even think about it. As ten dollar item. An easy enough thing to do if you’re an employee allowed to think and care about customer service.

Pissed me off, but not so much that I’d start a campaign against them. They just get no goodwill from me, and I just won’t feel some sort of ‘support the brick and mortar’ obligation in the future. They weren’t required to do the swap, but they also can’t whine about not getting the benefit of the doubt with consumers, or their already crappy reputation.

eeprete

If I were the salesperson in this situation, KNOWING what the "rules" were about returns/exchanges without a receipt and the KNOWING there's a time limit on "exchanges"......I would have looked at the customer, concluded that he was a senior citizen and as long as they were unopened, I would have let him exchange them for the 9's. They could be resold as new.....because THEY ARE.

I understand the younger generation is wary and fully appraised of the multi-state boosting ring-return artists operating across the United States that return ill gotten booty to local music stores USING SENIOR CITIZENS as a means to dupe unsuspecting minimum wage earners. Those &^%$#@ Boomers.........
Actually because they are barcoded and sku’d it affects inventory levels, so the store is 100% right.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
Honestly, what's the big deal for GC to exchange them for .9s? It appears he simply wanted to trade for his preferred string size. How does that negatively impact the store?

Fulminata19

It's a pack of strings....GC isn't in the business of selling strings. They sell expensive guitars, keyboards, drums, PA gear, etc.
Accessories sales keep musical instrument stores in business. It might seem counter intuitive, but they are always your dependable sellers.

I obviously don't know how the numbers break down, but I'd be very surprised if accessories weren't are HUGE percentage of GC's overall sales
According to some Fender training I have access to, about 60% of all MI sales are accessories.

david57strat

This thread has been nothing, if not entertaining. That's for damned sure. A person needs to be pretty thick-skinned, in here. I suspect the original poster is, and is none the worse for wear, after hearing this barrage of opinions.

In true TGP form, people (including the original poster, no doubt) have really strong opinions. They certainly aren't shy about voicing them, either. But, it is a public forum. Why would anyone expect any different? As long as no one is harping on someone's sexual orientation, religious or political beliefs, it's all fair game.

I cannot imagine the OP not expecting to hear differing opinions, ad infinitum, on the subject.

If he feels better that he got to openly voice his opinion on the matter, than all is good. No harm was done.

OP, you had reasonable options; but you chose not to exercise any of them. Some of them were (and still are):
  1. Found someone you know, who uses 10's (Plenty of guitarists out there do), and have them buy the 9's that you want, then exchange those newly-purchased 9's for your 10's, offering to pay them for the missing set of 10's that are on your guitar, obviously. Then you wouldn't have to deal with "mean old" GC. Done deal.
  2. Placed an ad on Craigslist, or wherever, and offer the same deal. Someone else out there may be stuck with 10s, and really wanted 9's. You'd both be better off for it, even if you had to pay for one set of strings, in the deal.
  3. Called Guitar Center, before heading in there and explain your situation, maybe prefacing the discussion with someone along the lines of "I'm a retired guitarist that has done forty thousand (or whatever the actual amount is) of business with you, over the years, and I'm hoping you can help me out here", and found out, without wasting any additional time or effort, that they simply do not do exchanges without a receipt, and only within their 45-day return period. However, if they were willing to make an exception, as long as you had the receipt, then:
  4. If the person who gifted you the strings no longer had the receipt, but made the purchase with a credit card (and assuming they made the purchase at Guitar Center, and not Sam Ash, or some other retailer), they could have found the transaction record in their credit card statement, and might have been kind enough to go into the store with you (assuming they didn't live far away from you), to attempt the exchange (since, shy of having a gift receipt, which you do not have, GC might insist on dealing with the person who made the initial transaction, rather than the giftee/end user of their product).
I get it. For you (unless I've gleaned something different than what I did, from what I read in your original post; and if I did, I apologize), it's probably more the principle of the matter, than the dollar amount involved. But sometimes, as much as I hate to admit it, you have to be wiling to not only understand, but admit (at least to yourself) that, in some instances, practicality kind of has to trump principles. Some things simply aren't worth the time or trouble, when it comes to making a point about principles - at least, not in a retail store, whose return policy (which is very reasonable, by the way) has already been clearly established, in writing.

You're retired. You probably don't have money coming out of your ears. Hell...I know I don't, and I'm not retired, just yet. If you had spare cash, you probably couldn't care less whether or not you could obtain the 9 sets of 9's you want, without having to go through any expense of your own, in the process - in which case, you could have gifted those nine remaining sets to someone (like a music school, or a guitarist friend who uses 10's, for instance - as was mentioned earlier in this thread) that would actually appreciate and have a good use for them, and not have been affected, in the least, by the whole deal.

All strictly opinions, on my part. I don't think there is any such thing as a right or wrong opinion, and as long they're voiced respectfully, all opinions are welcome (or should be welcome), in a public forum, such as this one.

No disrespect intended towards anyone, or their opinions. You are all welcome to yours.

Last edited:

Snoopydogg

I saw one poster who was looking for an apology...what's with this "you all"?
I should have been clearer. Yes, only one person wanted an apology. The “you all” was referring to the many people piling on. It’s ironic there’s a TWENTY-PAGE-LONG thread of people complaining that the OP is overreacting.

Ultimate1

20 pages of responses over a set of strings? Wow for both the OP and GC!

OP
I get it is a principal thing. There are plenty of places I won't ever step foot in to buy something but for me to go on the web to past about my gripe it would have to be over a lot more than a pack of strings. Just sayin'!

GC well this is mostly on the sales rep. Although, that particular GC store does bear some responsibility for the lack of training and or poor hiring selection. I used to use Ernie Ball Slinkys so I bought two or three extra sets from my local GC just to have ready when I needed to restring. Maybe like 6 or 7 months later I tried a set of D'Addorio NYXLs. I liked the NYXLs lot better so I asked the rep if I could exchange the Slinkys for the NYXLs but I did not have my receipt cause the purchase was months ago. The rep at GC had no problem exchanging the Slinkys for the NYXLs so I am at a loss for words on how that rep handled the situation.

Anyway, thought I could see if this gets to page 21 LOL

david57strat

20 pages of responses over a set of strings? Wow for both the OP and GC!

OP
I get it is a principal thing. There are plenty of places I won't ever step foot in to buy something but for me to go on the web to past about my gripe it would have to be over a lot more than a pack of strings. Just sayin'!

GC well this is mostly on the sales rep. Although, that particular GC store does bear some responsibility for the lack of training and or poor hiring selection. I used to use Ernie Ball Slinkys so I bought two or three extra sets from my local GC just to have ready when I needed to restring. Maybe like 6 or 7 months later I tried a set of D'Addorio NYXLs. I liked the NYXLs lot better so I asked the rep if I could exchange the Slinkys for the NYXLs but I did not have my receipt cause the purchase was months ago. The rep at GC had no problem exchanging the Slinkys for the NYXLs so I am at a loss for words on how that rep handled the situation.

Anyway, thought I could see if this gets to page 21 LOL
I'm only seeing eight pages worth of postings, in this thread - even with my posting being the 395th one. I'm not sure how you guys are seeing twenty pages' worth lol. I guess, at some point, I must have changed the number of posts to display to 50 per page, or something...?

Edit - just edited my preferences to display 100 posts per page. Much better.

Declassified

If the credit was the same amount as what it would cost them to buy it from the mfr., they would be down nothing. They would simply be buying stock at their normal price and when sold would make their normal margin of profit.

Most places I now deal with require no receipt. They accept your credit or debit card as proof and when that can't be produced, determined or beyond the age when their system will recover the sale, they issue a store credit. The bar code will tell anyone I deal with whether it is from their store or not. None of this is rocket science and if GC doesn't have these systems in place, they need to get with the modern world.
A barcode is a universal code, the barcode on an item the same barcode if you bought it at Walmart, target or some grocery store. The barcode won’t tell you where you bought something. I worked at a Lowe’s ( in Canada) and every week we’d get people coming in stealing tools and trying to return them. No receipt no return. We can only look up past transactions by phone number and only for a 2 year period, if that search came up with nothing and you had no receipt, there was no return, the onus is on the customer to keep the receipt, full stop.

Steadfastly

A barcode is a universal code, the barcode on an item the same barcode if you bought it at Walmart, target or some grocery store. The barcode won’t tell you where you bought something.
I have tried to return hardware bought at another store to Home Depot. It was an honest mistake and I told the clerk it might not be their product. She scanned it to check and said it wasn't in their system and I must have bought it elsewhere. Some stores have a priority bar code on their products and they can tell. It looks like it depends where you buy things.

RayRay

I had a somewhat similar situation to the OP’s happen to me related to computer gear many long years in the past. I bought a new printer and some extra ink cartridges at Best Buy, took them home and realized I had selected the wrong ink cartridges for my new printer.

I went back to Best Buy the following weekend with the ink cartridges (and my new printer manual) but dropped my receipt somewhere along the way. I stood in the long return/exchange line with the ink cartridges simply wanting to exchange the ink for the correct cartridges for my new printer and pay any difference if needed. The girl behind the counter tried looking up the purchase but could not find it. Then, she accused me of buying it somewhere else. I showed her the instruction manual and explained that it was a printer model that they currently carried and that I had simply grabbed the wrong cartridges when I bought it the previous weekend and that the cartridges were also a model they currently carried. She called me a liar and said they would not do the exchange without a receipt. I got angry, raised my voice and requested that she get a manager involved. She said she felt threatened by me and told me to leave the store. When a manager finally did come over, he backed her up and asked me to leave the store or he’d call the cops.

Although, I was irritated, I found the absurdity of the situation very amusing at that point. I was aware how intimidating I was being at that moment. I started laughing out loud, which only seemed to make the two of them feel even more uncomfortable. I lowered my voice and made one last attempt to explain the situation to the manager. Again, he refused to offer any remedy, asked me to leave the store and again threatened to call the cops if I did not comply. Lol! I said, “Ok” and left, vowing to never shop there ever again.

I went across the street to Comp USA. When a clerk there asked me if I needed any help, I told him the entire story laughing at the absurdity of it all as I related the tale. He thought what they did was ridiculous. He said he’d be willing to exchange the cartridges there, so I did. I purchased a few more extra ink cartridges plus a few other computer peripherals that I needed. For years, I continued to go to that exact Comp USA for my computer needs until they went out of business.

I can’t believe after all these years with retailers like Circuit City, Ultimate Universe, Mcduff Electronics, Soundtrack, Fretter’s, Ultimate Electronics, etc, the WORST big box electronics store in terms of product knowledge and customer service is the one left standing, f’ing Best Buy! The Gawdz must be crazy! Lol!

Of course, I did eventually shop at Best Buy again. In my area, they are the only option for big box electronics unless you include Walmart and Target. To their credit, I think Best Buy improved a lot, at least in my area. But, I think that’s partly because a bunch of knowledgeable employees from other electronics stores that had gone out of business ended up working for Best Buy.

Perhaps, some of those other retailers were losing too much money providing great customer service. Maybe, making returns and exchanges difficult for customers has helped Best Buy stay profitable. And, maybe the same lack of customer friendly policies with exchanges and returns is the only hope Guitar Center has of survival.
Ok so you know you lost the receipt. You then raised your voice at the person just trying to do their job? I would have kicked you out of my store too.

I do appreciate the irony that the store that exchanged your items is no longer in business though.

RayRay

I hate that personal responsibility and accountability are rare traits these days.... heck even basic human decency.

people... learn a lesson, take it to heart, and try not to make other people’s lives difficult along the way.

it ain’t that hard.

Last edited:

Trending Topics