Bye Bye Strat, Hello Explorer!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vbjamin, Jul 19, 2006.

1. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

i REally tried to bond with that Strat ,my first. A 2000 American Standard Tabacco Sunburst. My amps are/were, Bad Cat Cub 11, DR Z Maz 18 and recently departed Mesa DC-5.
    I allways love that Strat tone, yet in my hands it was not too be. Was it me or my amps? I will blame them.
    I have traded straight across for a gently used 2005 Gibson Explorer. She comes home tomorrow.
    I am pumped.

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Killer guitars, what a difference in extremes! Congratulations!

3. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

I use to play an explorer. However, I kept banging into stuff. Also, the case is huge for regular giging. I do miss it though, it was 1991 in white.
    Nice upgrade, 500T bridge bucker will drive thoes preamp tubes hard. I do not think you would need boost pedal now.:BEER

4. bullet69

bullet69 Member

you will be back

5. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Could be. It doesn't sound like ever really bonded with the Strat. I've never like playing them, even though they have some great sounds in them.

I love the sound of good Explorers though. I've never owned one because they're just too big & flashy for me.

It's only a matter of time before he's a Telecaster player though!

Pete

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yes he will be...........:RoCkIn

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Nah, probably not. :p

8. Luke V

Luke V Member

It just a phase you're going through, I'll bet 6 months tops with the Explorer.

9. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I have both. Extremely different, but I love 'em both too. Be careful moving around with the Explorer - they like to poke things and people...:D

peace,

jb

10. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

This is funny! My #1 stage guitar is a Fender Tele Plus. I love the sound of Strats when others play them but in 30 years of playing I have owned 1 for only a few months. The poor thing is allready gathering dust.
    Today is the day the EX comes home!

11. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Dang...that's quite a leap from Strat to Exploder. I keep coming back to Explorers myself. I bought an '89 Explorer new my sophomore year in HS. Ahhh the memories. I loved that guitar.

Graduated to LPs in college, LP Juniors after that, now back to Explorers & other fun, pointy guitars. These days the ex-high schooler in me rocks out on Hamer Standards, Flyng Vs & a Firebird.

12. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

My first guitar was an explorer knockoff. It was surprising how well balanced and comfortable the guitar was to play.

Everybody should have an Explorer or a V, just, well, because.

13. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Got her home today and jammed for 2 hours through the Maz 18 and Cub in stereo. Now thats the kind of tone and saturation that I can use. No regrets and I know there will be none. The shape will take some getting used to but I figure live this guitar will say ROCK and I will let it out to play on those tunes first. I was apprehensive about the 496/500T but my initiall impressions are all good and the tones I can definetly work with. I love the neck, hate the flat white pickgaurd.
    So far so good!:dude