1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BYOC Delay users - a few Qs...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Feb 21, 2006.

1. erksin

erksin Member

Anybody currently using a BYOC Delay?

If so, how are you liking it and what pedals have you A/B'd it against or replaced with it? They tout the high-pass filter as being the key to making it sound warm and analog-like - does it deliver on believeable analog tones?

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

Tough question since I don't actually own any analog delays right now. I am comparing it to my old Boss DD-3 (late '80s/early '90s), but that pedal is also known for sounding a little warmer than the average digital pedal.

The BYOC does not sound worlds better than the DD-3, but it DOES sound really good and has warmer repeats. I also love the feature set. The true bypass for $119 was a no-brainer for me. I've only had it since November though, so the jury is still out on durability. The Boss has been ridiculously sturdy, especially when you consider how much I use it. My friend gave it to me in 1993, and he was the second owner.

3. MrSage

MrSage Member

I haven't done any A/B against analog delays, but I do like my BYOC with effects loop a lot better than I ever liked my Deluxe Memory Man. It's warm and analog-y without getting the DMM mush. I keep a Pearl Chorus in the effects loop, and that lets me add either chorus or vibrato to the repeats...much better than the DMM in my opinion!

4. Erik

Erik Member

I built mine a few months ago, I really like it a lot. As others have mentioned, it does a nice job of rolling the highs off the repeats for a warmer sounding digital delay.

5. Jetsetsc

Jetsetsc Member

I love mine - bought it pre-built. It's been on my pedal board for six months with no issues. It replaced an Ibanez analog, a Danelectro PB&J (my previous fave!), and and old Boss 16-second digital thing. Very warm and true sounding - doesn't affect your tone at all. My only beef is I wish there were an internal trim pot to adjust the roll-off. Sometimes I miss the really crisp delays of more hi-fi digital units.
    -J

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just got mine in last week. I think it is a fine pedal. I had a Dan echo and an old classic Memory man. I think it copies them well. Considering it is TP, at its price it is a winner.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Sounds like you guys are pretty happy with them. Another Q please - are they MXR sized? A little hard to tell from the pics...

8. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

When I opened the package, I noticed it was taller than a MXR box, but didn't notice it any wider.

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

Like nlopez says. Slightly taller ... like the Analogman boxes for the Beano and Sunface...

10. erksin

erksin Member

Cool - thanks guys!

11. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

If you get the FX loop version, it's a larger box, w/o the FX loop it's the smaller size.

12. MrSage

MrSage Member

13. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I got mine awhile back, prebuilt. It was actually MrSage's soundclips that convinced me to get one with the effects loop. The only thing that I've noticed is that when you kick on the delay (w or w/o the effects loop) your tone gets a tiny bit brighter. Not bad or anything - still sounds great, but a noticeable difference. BYOC wasn't offering the cool paint options back then, so it's just a gray metal box, and it has a toggle for the loop instead of the 2nd footswitch on MrSage's. I'd definitely buy one again (and may get a non-effects loop one next).

14. MrSage

MrSage Member

;)

That paint job is actually a DonnerBox enclosure, not from BYOC.

:AOK

15. Taylor Daly

Taylor Daly Member

If I wanted to use a BYOC delay for short delays and then run another delay after it for longer delays do I need the effects loop mod?

16. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
  17. Sid

Sid Member

I have a DMM which I got off a forum member here, I got it checked by a local pedal builder and he explained some pretty cool mods that had been done to the DMM ( by analogman and antelope fx, as informed by the seller).

I cant remember the mods right now, but the memory man sounds to me to be the perfect delay for wettening my sound... I step on it only for leads....I tried the visual sound h2o and the boss dd-3 and neither cut it for me...

then I got the byoc delay...I gotta tell ya...best digital delay ive played...very organic and warm...as mentioned earlier, it gets a little bright..but i noticed that to happen only for longer delay times and levels, I was using it to wetten the sound only so it was negligible then...

My friend liked it so much he took it!!...sold his h2o...Im considering selling the DMM for the byoc cos its so much smaller and for my purposes its really fine ...

18. Taylor Daly

Taylor Daly Member

Nice! Anyone know....if I had a BYOC and ran a DD-6 or something after it would the DD-6 go crazy dealing with the delays from the BYOC? Do I have to have some sort of effects loop mod to prevent that?

19. MrSage

MrSage Member

Yep.

The version I like has a switch to turn the effect on and off, one to turn the loop on and off, and a toggle switch to put the effects either before the delay altogether or on the repeats of the delay.

20. MrSage

MrSage Member

Effects loop mod is just for putting other effects onto the delay's repeats. If you don't want that, you don't need the mod.