BYOC delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phil M, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone has ordered one of the prebuilt delay pedals. I hadn't heard much about them around here, but I ordered one anyway. True bypass and power tap helped to sell it and $119 doesn't seem too outrageous.

Anyone have one?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't but I did just get the Tremolo kit. It sounded pretty sweet on the sound clips pages, and I have gone through a bunch of them unhappy with the results (other pedals I mean).

Only thing that bugged me a lot with BYOC, and they were QUICK and looks (so far, haven't gone into details) like I got everything, is that they didn't include schematics, instructions, just a hand written message to go to this one site to grab the schematics.
    I think this was in response to a specific question about the schematics, but still...the main point is, both on the page with the schematics AND on their "how to build it" page, many of the pages are Jpegs' and they are too large to print out.

I tried everything, scaling in the printer, reducing size, nothing helped. Finally I got 99% of the thing by saving the images, opening in a photoshop editor and reducing pixels keeping scale, then printing it out.

I HATE that. Having made 10 copies that were useless...there is no way it ought to be like that. See if you run into the same problem.

Other than that, everything looks good, and there are tips (that I can't print out) on mods.

3. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

I have no experience with them Phil, but I've been curious. I get by with a EH Deluxe Memory Man and a Digitech Digidelay these days. Let us know what you think when you get it.

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I've had the same Boss DD-3 since 1993 and it's never failed me, but I wanted to check something else out.

I got the prebuilt one without the effects loop. I may build a pedal kit one of these days, but I'd like to start out with a simpler model.

5. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I should be getting a prebuilt delay with the effects loop in the next week or so. It was between this and the Keeley DD-3, but I went with the BYOC. So far I've used the guyatone MD-3 (sounded good, but nothing too special), the digidelay (way too dark through my loop), and boss pedals in the past. I tried to put together the BYOC phaser, but failed miserably, so had them just build the delay for me (my soldering skills are...um...subpar).

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Hey, grego7, did you get yours? If so, how do you like it? Seems mine should've shipped by now, but I haven't heard a peep since the initial tracking was set up.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I just got my Delay w/loop kit and the hardest part was deciding how to paint it...it took me about 4 days to get the painting/drying/lettering done and that was with the simplest methods avaliable to me...

I will finally be able to start on the insides...probably by the weekend...

SBB...I had no problem printing out the schematics...I just told my wife and she did it at work;)

Chow,
    Seegs

8. grego7

Yes I did. It's a blast. It sounds very very good on it's own (better than my old MD-3 and DD-3, less bright - more analog sounding) and the loop is just a kick. I've run my phaser, chorus and envelope filter through there. The phaser sounds especially good. Didn't paint it though. Just left it with the gray / silver box and wrote "DELAY" on it with a sharpie :p . I'm pretty low-tech. FWIW it took quite awhile from ordering it to getting it, but the guy had to build it for me and I'm sure he's swamped. Worth the wait!

9. D. Martin

D. Martin Member

I've ordered and built a BYOC screamer and phase, both turned out great. I also encountered some problems on printing the instructions as well, but I noticed some are html and some are in pdf format. The pdf formats are fine, but the html's don't line up the pics with the instuctions, but i just logged on and put the thing together at my computer desk. In my experience with Keith he has been very helpful and quick to answer questions, great support and also check out the message forum at BYOC if you want some help or advice. There are plenty of messages about the delay on the board.

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Keith is swamped, but he said he's shipping tomorrow or so.

Hey, grego7, when I ordered the prebuilt pedal the paint was part of the price. You didn't elect to have it done?

11. Erik

Erik Member

Hey Phil, I ordered one and it should be here next Tuesday. I opted to build it myself to test my graphic skills/soldering skills. I didn't get the one with the effects loop...my pedal board is pretty simple so it isn't necessary.

12. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Hey, Erik. I figured to try a boost or something simpler if I ever decide to build one.

Hope it's a decent pedal. I figure it's got to sound at least as good as my ancient DD-3 for my applications.

13. grego7

Yeah, I figured I'd paint it myself at some point. Now that I have it and it sounds great, I don't want to take it apart to paint it. I had to pay the same price as with paint, but I got it a little faster (according to Keith).

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

My pre-built TriBooster arrives tomorrow, painted by Keith. I'll post a pic of how the pre-built painted version looks. I'm beyond stoked because it's exactly the same as his BigTone Music Brewery TriBooster...which I fell for via a tourbox last year.

15. gururyan

gururyan Member

....and, it's tomorrow:
    [​IMG]

Love this pedal. Love it, love it, love it. :cool:

16. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I asked Santa for a TriBoost kit. She... , I mean he usually takes the hint.
    I like to solder.

17. gururyan

gururyan Member

18. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Got the delay today. Way more solid feeling than I thought it would be and and the paint job looks as cool as I hoped it would--bronze with an orange led and white lettering. If nothing else, it looks different than my other pedals.

Soundwise, it's at least as good as my old DD-3 and probably even a little warmer. Honestly, I never thought the DD-3 was as sterile as other digital delays. The BYOC has got style, good sound quality, true bypass and power tap, so to me this a very utilitarian basic delay effect for $119. So far it seems like a good deal, but I will crank it up tomorrow with my other amp that's a little harder to get along with.

19. MrSage

MrSage Member

I love my BYOC delay. That effects loop is killer.

20. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I recorded with mine last night. At first it sounded bad, but then I realized that the blend knob had gotten bumped up in transit(!) Duh... I got it dialed in and did some cool echo-y feedback tracks. Sounds spooky.