BYOC Divided Octave

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LawlessGreed, Feb 17, 2012.

1. LawlessGreed

LawlessGreed Member

So.....anyone got one of these? Doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews out there for it.

2. LawlessGreed

LawlessGreed Member

3. mojo joe joe

mojo joe joe Member

Wondering about these too. Any Jerry fans using it in place of their Mu-Tron Octave Divider yet?

4. plord

plord Member

I just built one over the weekend. WOW :bonk

The build itself is a bit of a pain in the ass; not as bad as the BYOC Analog Delay, but *very* tight components in several spots, you will be going in vertically with the iron. It took me probably 7-8 hours total including patching up a spot where I bridged two pads like a moron. The instructions are good enough but still retain some boilerplate that should have been edited out (refs to battery clip wiring in a pedal with zero room for a battery).

I don't have a real Mutron Octave to compare to, but for the straight up single note+octave down work it tracks really well right out of the box (good thing too, there are no trimpots to calibrate it). The tone and mix pots allow a lot of nice variation, I seem to have settled on a sound with the tone rolled slightly back from wide open and the mix favoring the dry sound about 60-40. The ringer is subtler than I imagined, it adds the octave up but it's not in your face. On my Scott Walker with the CAE sound buffered pre, the stabilize switch had no real effect for single note sounds.

Ah, but chords! The circuit is built for single notes and gets really confused when you throw a chord at it. This is NOT a POG2. If you hit a nice power chord with the stabilize on, it will fuzz out initially and then as the notes decay the circuit flip-flops the octave sound between the root and the 5, unpredictably. It's a glorious mess, ripe for abuse.

The bass only switch does what it says on the tin. I kinda wish the second footswitch was for the ringer and the bass-only was on a toggle but wotthehell.

So two thumbs up from this guy on the Divided Octave. I moved it into my main pedal board with the Mutron III and they play really well together. The kit runs what, 1/6th the cost of a real Mutron Octave on a good day? If you can handle the build it's absolutely worth it IMHO.

5. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

The Ringer is pretty subtle on my Mu-Tron original as well.

6. t.glaze

t.glaze Member

i have one as well as an original mutron,
    mine sound very close to each other.
    t

7. bduguay

bduguay Member

I've built 3 just recently with a 4th to tackle tonight so it's a popular item right now it seems.
    I've tried 2 originals and can honestly say I can't hear the difference compared to the BYOC version.
    B.

8. twofootskunk

twofootskunk Member

I have one on my board that I built about 6 months ago. Absolutely love it. The quote below is spot on.