BYOC ESV MKII vs D*A*M MKII...WHOA!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have been on a quest to find a great Tonbender MKII and so far the D*A*M MKII has shown itself to be THE best one I have tried. The right amount of grit, sustain and fuzz....like I have heard on all those great classic English 70's bands like the Moodys etc. My DAM has OC71's which I guess are the next most rare then the OC81's...though Bob Sweet seems to have OC81's. I decided to purchace the new BYOC which came to about $110 with shipping. I spent a few nights and put it together...carefully...and moved the in/out jacks to the top of the casing like the DAM.

So I just put them side by side, one into the other so with one hand I could press both on/off switches, matched the output volumes with nothing else in the path into a totally clean transistor amp, my Fender G-DEC on a preset I made that is very clean Fender tone....really lets you hear into the tone. I have to say WOW! The tone of the two is ALMOST identical...really. The dirt, grit, sustain on the same chords...90%+ the same.

Difference is the BYOC has a bit more top end, high harmonics a bit less mids and a slight bit more hiss. Funny though, when I switch between them the DAM actually sounds a bit muffled and as you turn down the guitar the DAM is for sure darker but has a bit more bass/mids.

The BYOC can also get more sustain than the DAM with the Attack cranked and it holds the note for a LOOOOONG time. Turn down the Tone on your guitar with the neck PU and you get into Fripp territory...almost Big Muff with a bit less bass and more mids than a Triangle BM. But in terms of length of sustain...for sure in the ball park.

Bottom line; if you can follow instructions, have a steady hand with a soldering iron and patience this is a K I L L E R Tonebender MKII clone...really VERY VERY impressive!!! Though in all fairness the DAM pedals are off the charts in terms of mojo and magic and the sound is richer and more harmoically complex. But for $100 a some time you can now get REALLY close....hats off to BYOC on this one. I think a BYOC Tremolo is now in order...

2. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

What type of transistors do you have in the BYOC. The Dam MKII you have is probably one of the two low gain ones he made if it has OC71's in it which would explain some of the differences. Also the OC81's that bob sweet uses are new production and I really want to try out his probender since I'm sure it's awesome. The BYOC sounds pretty impressive and a steal for $110.

3. Curly

Curly Member

thanks for the heads up

I have been on a long search for the ultimate Bender tone .. I've always thought they were more "musical" and had more sustain than Faces

the BYOC does look tempting, especially since it has good transistors

4. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Here's my BYOC MKII- it has NOS OC75's. Pretty cool that they're socketed so you can switch 'em out if you want. But I believe Keith matches the ones he puts in the kits anyway. Is this a new version or something that you're talking about or has the price just gone up a bit? This one's a year or so old and I think it was $84 or something.

[​IMG]

5. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I have the ProBender, whether their new OC81d or old it really gets THAT sound.

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have a BYOC E.S.V. Tonebender Mk II, and it has the longest sustain of all my Mk II clones, and maybe of all my fuzzes.

7. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

My DAM has OC71's and the BYOC OC75's. Funny enough, there is still a TON of sustain with with the DAM though the BYOC when maxed is longer but that much gain also comes with a bit more noise.

8. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

Did you do any mods to the BYOC MKII when you built it? When I built mine, I changed some parts for a smoother tone and I think I put a different resistor for more volume output. I was stupid and sold mine, though. :(

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I have a Pro Bender as well, and I love it. It's got that full-on germanium mojo thing happening, big time (with that cool wavy fade-out and the high end rasp). If there is a downside, it's that it is not a very bottom-heavy fuzz (and neither was the original). And you have to crank the level right up there for unity volume (unless you turn the bias trim pot up more, and I like to set mine a little lower than factory). But it just plain sounds cool. And I can get the same tones I hear from the D.A.M. MKll. Incidently, Bob told me that the OC-81 transistors he uses were made in the last twenty years, and he gets them hand-picked in matched sets according to his strict specs (then he would still cherry pick only about 20-30% of them from that hand-picked batch he receives). He also said that it was costing him a bundle to get them this way and it was getting harder and harder to find ones that meet his specs and sound right. He had talked about either discontinueing the Pro Bender entirely, or perhaps using NKT275's instead since he could also get good sound from those. Either way, mine is #21 and I feel damn lucky to have it.
    By the way, someone had asked me earlier this week whether I was happy with mine. I decided to spend a couple days playing around with it, and see if my opinion of it had changed at all. I basically fell in love with it all over again. Nice!

10. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

coolest looking pedal EVER!

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I hope Bob doesn't stop making the ProBender. It would be a big loss.

12. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

WOW! That pedal looks great!:bow

13. benjammin

benjammin Member

Okay, I am not trying to come across like an ass in this post, so if I do, excuse me. But...

I am consistently surprised how often people are surprised that a BYOC pedal sounds like the pedal it is a clone of. Of course it will, it's a clone. They are part-for-part identical to what they are clones from. The only difference is going to be the type of transistors used and the quality of those transistors. Why are people so surprised that they kick ass? The originals did, the clones will too. There's no mysticism behind any of it.

Also, the BYOC tremolo is great. It's my go-to trem until I can swing an Empress. Can't wait to try the analog delay and analog flanger when it's ready...

14. charmboy

charmboy Member

Totally agree with this post. I've built a few BYOC and GGG kits and they're fantastic. Bender will be my next and as with the above poster, my BYOC tremolo has served me well on my board for almost a year now.

15. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

I totally agree. Look at this post http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=450020

People are paying huge dollars for these DAM MKII pedals which are only dead copies of the real thing. Not new and improved, not a twist on an old design, it's the exact same thing. I'm not trying to take anything away from DAM but I just can't understand why some people pay large sums of money for these when you can buy the same copy for about $100 and a few hours time. A fool and his money......

16. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

:agree
    I think those D*A*M pedals are a bit overhyped...
    (and I mean those foolish $$$ asked on ebay, hard to imagine that any fuzz pedal is worth over 1000$ or something )

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  17. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

How did the two compare for noise? My BYOC seems so noisy I just pulled it off of the board. I have tried the internal trim pot and it is still noisy! I got mine prebuilt from Axe and you shall receive, so I am sure it is constructed well.

I love the BYOC, but I have a Pro Analog MKIII and it is easier to work with and really quiet for the amount of gain. Surprisingly they are similar with the BYOC being brighter and more gain.

18. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Strange, I was kind of surprized how quiet my BYOC mkII was. Especially for a fuzz with that amount of gain.
    :dunno

19. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I had the guys at axandyoushallreceive fix it up for me. Got it back yesterday and it is now quieter than my Pro Analog MKIII. Though it seems to have lost a bit of gain. Who knows. When my kids grow up a bit I hope to start building my own.

20. bduguay

bduguay Member

So you did get it back safe and sound? Good.
    Q2 was the culprit there. If you're not cool on the slight gain loss, you can try mucking about with the internal trim pot.
    Enjoy.
    B.