BYOC: Even better than the real thing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nibus, Feb 12, 2008.

1. nibus

nibus Silver Supporting Member

I have only had a couple BYOC pedals, but I have been very impressed with both. I have heard on many occasions how BYOC kits (if built properly) exceed the original they were modeled after.

What is your experience? What pedals have you A/B'ed? Have you ever had a kit that did not exceed the original? Lets hear some opinions.

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

BYOC pedals usually include many/most/all of the mods that have that have been developed over time for a given pedal. And they are all true bypass by design. So yes they are better than the originals.

3. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I sold my early '80s TS-9 after building my BYOC Screamer Clone.
    It's not really a direct comparison because the Screamer Clone was actually modeled after the TS-808.

4. nibus

nibus Silver Supporting Member

Any other builds that surpassed the original?

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've had limited experience with them (slow gear, 808, muff) but none of them knocked competitors off my board. They are good pedals I guess, just didn't work out for me.

6. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

For what they are BYOC's are top notch. PC boards are very high quality (higher than 90% of the boutique or mass produced stuff). Now, when you buy a mighty mouse, you can't expect that it to sound much better than the RAT or the M'OD or any rat clone... same for the other pedals, they are clones after all...

7. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I've got two Screamer clones that after hours and hours of experimenting with mods - definitely sound better than a stock ts-9 or 808. I'm very happy with them.

The only drawback is taking the time to figure out which combination of mods to get the sound your looking for. Plus I ended up doing a couple mods that weren't mentioned in the screamer kit.

8. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

yes they are clones more or less
    the wah for instance comes with compentents and instructions for so many mods i can imagine anyone really just builds the "stock" one
    same for the screamer pedal. i love my pedals and my personal feeling is that they sound right up there with the booteeks. with a little personal selection of tweaks and a few component swaps (which is no work at all, just soldering) you can be there. i am currently gutting my screammer to bring it to more L'DO specs

9. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

Rex, that's a good point, but one must compare the time spent experimenting with MODS to the time it takes to shop, buy, test and then flip all the pedals you'd have to try to MAYBE end up with the same result. After all, all the testing and modding and replacing parts IS what many of the boutique makers do that makes their version unique. The great thing is, in the end you have them the way YOU want them.

The BYOC forum is FULL of mod ideas and guys who have done them and can give good details on how each one sounds so you can narrow down which ones should voice a pedal the way you want, etc.

10. SpectralJulian

SpectralJulian Member

To me the appeal of BYOC is you can buy a bunch of different transistors and diodes and leds (for the clipping section) and try them all out and tailor a sound of your own. I've yet to get a BYOC though.

11. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I have some soldering experience... are they easy to put together?

Id love to try one out.

12. sh333

sh333 Member

If you solder in sockets for all the interchangeable parts, it makes it much easier to swap stuff out and experiment. There is a pic of how our guy does up the BYOC Screamer w/ sockets on this webpage:

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/Brian.htm

13. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Yes if you take your time, follow the instructions, and buy a decent iron. Plus the give you a free starter kit to play with as a first time customer.

14. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I have one of those "cold heat" irons... is that up to the task?

15. Guyburn

Guyburn Member

Cold heat irons arn't great. I've tried them in the past and they just didn't cut it! One thing I will say about BYOC is that the PCB's are top notch, and the community is great too.

16. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Look for a low watt weller iron. Should be around $25. No more than 25 watts unless you can turn it down. It definitley needs a small tip.

17. blood5150

blood5150 Member

what guage solder?

18. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Just normal thin solder, make sure it's for electronics not plumbing. I get the rolls from radio shack or the deans stuff from the hobby shop when I run out.

19. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

i was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Royal Phaser and they discontinued it.:mad:

20. eric-d

eric-d Member

They're all pretty easy builds... get rosen core solder... makes it a little easier... I can usually finish one up in about 2-3 hours. He part that takes to longest for me is getting the resistors grouped ....