BYOC FET PreAmp vs. Boss FA-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Atmospheric, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

OK, so maybe restarting a thread from 2008 isn't the best way to get an answer. But you can't say I didn't try searching before posting.

Has anyone ever compared the BYOC FET PreAmp to a real Boss FA-1? I'm curious how close the clone gets to the real deal.

2. blackba

blackba Member

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Two totally different deals from the design up.

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

From a design and component view point, they should be exactly the same. I haven't did an A/B test, but BYOC is usually right on the money.

Atmospheric likes this.
  5. blackba

blackba Member

I am sure they are, but I thought both could be used as a tone sweetener and boost.

That is why I brought it up, as I was looking more from a guitarist perspective than an engineer perspective. Wasn't trying to hijack the thread, just looking for other options that might do what the fa1 does.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Gotcha. FA-1 to me is that magic boost to goose an AC30 or clone. For me, I've had difficulties properly bumping an AC30 with good results. There are some drive pedals that work, but FA-1 seems to do it better.

Shaffer Replica... I've read a lot of different things on the internet about that product. "Noisy" seems to come up here and there.

If you want a sweetener... I recommend a Klon or a variant of that circuit. Pineapple Boost is my version, but in general, that circuit does sweeten things to where you don't want to shut it off. As a boost, it's very effective with many different amps. FA-1 I associate with the AC30 and the Schaffer with the a JTM 45, but that's just me. I've known Brian for years, his is a good Klon that will save you board space in the Wampler Tumnus.

Just my opinion.

blackba likes this.
  7. blackba

blackba Member

Cool, I may have to build the BYOC version of the FA-1. For my Vox tones I use a '66 AC50 and Mesa TA-15 set to Top Boost mode. The BYOC Silver Pony (Klone) does work well with the Vox.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've played the Shaffer at NAMM. Tried to get a demo unit to play at home but that hasn't particularly gone well :) Anyway, it seems that it includes a bit of compression as well as buffering and tone shaping, which I don't believe the FA-1 does-that would partly explain why it was so beloved of Jerry (whose tone often seemed to be razor clean amps softened by a bit of compression) but also why it would tend to emphasize noise.

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

Just wanted to post that the BYOC FA-1 is just the ticket for what I need. My amps are Morgan SW50R and SW22R. Fender D*mble variants. The pedal when on really focuses the tone nicely at the front of the signal chain (guitar > tuner > BYOC FA-1 > various dirt > volume pedal > analog delay). It doesn't take much gain to do that either... I'd estimate 3-5 db actual boost in signal level, but a whole other dimension of clarity and tightness. It's also fairly low noise. So far so good.

tonefreak likes this.