BYOC Mouse opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ben_allison, Oct 12, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Just wondering about this bad boy.

It seems, possibly, like one of the best options if someone wants a Rat.

What do people think?

2. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'm in the process of building one right now. I've heard great things which is why I chose it but of course I can't weigh in until I complete it. There's a thread over on the BYOC forum for building it to Landgraff M'OD specs so I'm giving that a shot. I'll check back in when it's completed.

3. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Would love to hear your results! I'm all for DIY'ing a M'OD considering the growing opinion is as follows:

[​IMG]

4. bduguay

bduguay Member

While I'm not a Rat fan, I can say that the BYOC Mighty Mouse is certainly a very flexible and option filled version of the Rat.
    B.

5. benjammin

benjammin Member

Not a RAT fan either, but to my ears I couldn't hear any difference between they BYOC and Lovekraft when I got a chance to play them. Never played a Landgraff, but I think the Landgraff mod specs are part for part identical, unless you believe all the jesus stuff gives you some extra mojo...

6. cugel

cugel Member

you cant go wrong with a byoc
    i made my screamer build into a CJOD type thing and i couldnt be happier
    all of the mods are on the forum and people on that board are the best and NEVER make you feel like a tool if you ask a dumb question
    i swear by byoc: fun to build and paint and if built with care they can sound better than >90% of any pedals out there at any price. IMHO of course

7. charmboy

charmboy Member

Totally agreed. I've had a few successful builds with both BYOC and GGG (another great DIY site with clone kits) and I see no reason to not at least try here first before spending big bucks. Plus, it's a great feeling at a gig to kick on something you've built yourself.

8. benjammin

benjammin Member

Yeah, I have to second that "don't make you feel like an idiot if you mess up / don't know something" vibe on their forums. It's really helpful!

9. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I have a BYOC Mighty Mouse w/ the Landgraff M'OD in a cool swirly Luci box. I don't think the pedal cuts through very well in a live setting. It's very versatile but seems to get lost for some reason. I'm going to play around with it some more, though.

10. charmboy

charmboy Member

Have you tried it stock? If so, would you say it cut through better with or without the M'OD specs? I haven't soldered my board yet and have yet to switch out the components for the M'OD specs but of course I'd love to hear opinions from people who've compared both.

11. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

No, I have not tried it stock. I bought it used off of another TGP'er so I have not compared the two. One thing that I'm not used to is the smoothing sound of the pedal versus other pedals I've tried. That might be one of the factors. I was also testing it with my PRS w/ P-90's, not any of my humbucker guitars so I'll give that a try.

12. hide

hide Member

The byoc mouse spots the LM308 chip inside. I've played side by side with my good o' rat and the byoc in vintage mode oozes the same grit and oomph characteristic of the rat, it is if not, totally identical with the rat but with more bass and rounded highs. It is much more versatile as you can switch to turbo rat mode or asymmetrical clipping.

Weird thing is I prefer my harsher sounding rat, it cuts thru the mix with ease. But I am using the byoc in place of the rat currently, trying to save the slightly faulty switch on my rat from further damage.

Hence, the byoc mouse is strongly recommended, definitely over the later production (made in USA) rats that comes with a OP07DP chip. I have not tried any china rats.