BYOC pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kuntry09, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Kuntry09

Kuntry09 Member

Just looking for some opinions on the BYOC DIY pedals. I have no doubt in my mind that I can do the kits and I like the idea of building my own pedals, not only because I like that sorta thing but because it is a slightly cheaper option than buying retail pedals and I can customize the sound (when I learn more that is). My question is how do the kits REALLY sound straight from BYOC? I'm mainly interested in their OD2 and I've listened to clips and it seems like it would fit what I need but clips can lie. I'm not expecting it to nail a particular pedal or be something it's not, I just don't want it to be a complete waste of time, money, and tone. Comments?

2. surferfuzz

surferfuzz Member

Every kit I built sounded exactly how they described them. I compared my clones to original versions and they were dead on.

3. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

I have their BYOC Large Beaver Triangle...NO other pedal has been able to displace it...

4. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

5. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Kinda interested in that Superfuzz myself-clones are easily twice the price.

6. failed_astronaut

failed_astronaut Member

I'm a big BYOC fan. I went through a phase about four years ago of doing their kits and I now have the Opto Compressor, Tremolo, 2-knob Phaser and the 3-knob Large Beaver on my board. The Beaver was the only one that worked first time but that's not a comment on the design of the kits, just my crappy soldering! I haven't had a kit in a while but the last few I got came with single core wire which was notorius for breaking so as a first step I'd recommend swapping that for multi-core.

Sound wise, they're all fantastic. My favourite is definitely the Beaver but whenever I step on the Phaser I'm in instant Pink Floyd territory.

Ultimately, I would say go for it.

7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Built their original two-knob phaser (bought two, actually) and it's the real deal.
    I've built many other pedals on my own, sourced my own parts, drilled the cases and etched the PCBs. I'd go w/BYOC on something if I (A) wanted the options immediately available in the BYOC config or (B) didn't want the time/hassle of hunting down all the parts and etching the PCB.

The kit I'm most interested in right now is the Shredder. Still wish they'd do a Univibe.

8. ferg

ferg Member

Built these:

Large Beaver (triangle)
    Tremelo
    Compressor
    Wah Kit

All worked well and most importantly sound good,
    If you are lousy at soldering I would give it a miss, only thing is they look a bit industrial....well mine did anyway!

Ferg

9. JJ321

JJ321 Member

I've built the TS-808, Boost, Phaser, Slow Gear, Compressor, Analog Delay, Wah and I have a BMP that I am trying to find the time to build. I've had pretty good experiences with all of them and there are a handful of General Guitar Gadget pedals that I would like to try to build as well as some from Madbean.

10. h2blink

h2blink Member

Ive been looking at these kits for years, but never actually ordered one. Im beginning to think its time to give one of these a try. In need of a reverb pedal, hmmm.

11. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Prime and paint before assembly. I don't paint mine. I bought a lable maker.

12. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

I have the same pedal and it is FANTASTIC! :bow

13. Kuntry09

Kuntry09 Member

All this is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Looks like I'll be investing in one here shortly!

14. RBfan

RBfan Member

OD is a good way to start, so is the 2-knob bender. I made one of those & love it. I'd been soldering maybe 2 months or so, but their instructions are very good & the support forum is nice, too. Just be prepared to post clear pictures if you have any trouble, but the folks on the forum there are pretty helpful.

T

15. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

All you're paying for is quality parts, a solid pcb and everything you need to put it together. You're not paying for marketing, paint jobs, new circuit designs (you are paying for them to do the artwork for more pedals though I guess). The final pedal is only as good as how you assemble it but they provide everything to make an excellent pedal.

16. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Get the Large Beaver kit. After that, you'll never pay $$$ for a Muff clone again, no matter how fancy the box and how intense the hype. ;)

17. thewex

thewex Member

I've built 3 (OD,MM,Tri-Boost) and am thinking about doing a Si Fuzz Face. They sound great, and if you take your time and have a little patience it will be a great building experience.