1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BYOC Recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aziltz, Feb 17, 2009.

1. aziltz

aziltz Member

I've got some extra time this semester and I want to get back into building to explore more of the "what" and "why" of effects, especially OD's.

While I have some schematics off the web, I want to start with a BYOC kit.

Would you recommend I start with the Overdrive II or Mouse? Both have a useful array of mods, especially to the dirt making bits.

Also, do people find that the OLC JFET-Amp Sims sound like the amps? Or are they at least different and interesting?

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I love my overdrive and tremolo.

the od2 looks like a good one. I haven't tried the mouse.

You cant beat their compressor either.

3. cugel

cugel Member

get the overdrive and mod the hell out of it and it will hang with most ods no problem

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I personally love the BYOC Phaser. I A/B'd it with my MIJ PH-1R and it gets REALLY close. I added the 'Feedback' (intensity) control and it's a keeper.

5. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I recommend starting with something easy. The Distortion +/250 kit is a pretty easy build and can be modded if you like. Generally speaking most OD and distortion pedals are pretty simple circuit wise. Modulation (chorus, phase, delay) is where things get complicated. The BYOC tremolo kit is relatively simple.