BYOC shredmaster clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I read a post raving the clone pedal kit sounded everybit as good as the original vintage shredmaster.... I am thinking this is hype, crap ??? Anyone?

2. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I've also heard people claim that this is one of the best pedals to push a NMV and older MV marshalls with... so i am also interested.

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have one, but have not compared it to an original Shredmaster.

I can say that it is a killer pedal, and can cop a "brown" sound very easily, all the way to scooped metal-ish tones, and back down to even a TS sound. The 3 way EQ is great and it is surprisingly touch sensitive. For some applications I prefer it to my Brownie and Dyna Red Distortion.

4. bduguay

bduguay Member

I remember doing an album with Ken Greer of Tom Cochrane and Red Rider fame and he used an original Shredmaster on his pedal steel. The BYOC Shredmaster is every bit as good in my recolection.:eek:
    B.

5. Cary Chilton

anyone else? BYOC for cheap or the vintage for 200+???????

6. Cary Chilton

no one?????????????????

7. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

byoc stuff is boutique quality and in some cases better quality.

Their stuff sounds better than anything I a/b it with. Keeley and Analogman included.

I may end up trying the shredmaster but i'm pretty happy right now. I've got a bunch of byoc and ggg stuff and love them.

8. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I had an original at one point, but it started fritzing out (it was sort of beat when I got it). I then got a BYOC. I liked it, but something didn't seem quite "right" about it, so I eventually picked up another original. Side by side, I much prefered the original. This was some time ago, so unfortunately I can't further describe the differences in characteristics between the two. It was quite clear to me that I liked the original better, though. I got rid of the BYOC. I honestly would have liked to keep the BYOC instead if it had sounded as good, as you can get a small fortune for the originals.

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

My only question is whether it's dynamic like an amp. I use my BSIAB to do a lot of different sounds with just the volume manipulation.

10. Cary Chilton

11. gnugear

gnugear Member

I wonder if it can cop Crunchbox tones. I think the Crunchbox is based off the Guv'nor but souped up, correct? I'm interested in building one but I'm also interested in the Crunchbox. Sure would be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

12. Burgs

Burgs Member

I knocked up a VERY basic demo of this the other day while I was getting my feet wet in the Youtube pond. This will give you a basic idea of how the BYOC Shredder sounds on one setting. I'll do some more comprehensive, better sounding stuff when I get some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijOs2IWzDg

13. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

wow. that thing does sound like it's suppossed to.

i'm ordering one next paycheck.

14. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

It does everything the Crunchbox does and more. Much better pedal.

15. Cary Chilton

Hey Burger, aren't you a member at the mixerman forums? I could swear I have seen you before. Nice demo, nice playin - another VH fan! Cool.
    I loved the pick attack, the overall drive and voicing of the pedal. The only thing was that the wet signal was so much quieter. Was this set intentionally so or did the distorted signal sound as loud in person but recorded that way?

This is a real Shredmaster clip: Much worse
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=0JY4YBSaLxg

THen another BYOC shredder -worse still
    http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyl3e4MaoNY

Did you build a magic pedal there or was the amp/guitar in the real shredmaster clip totally wrong for the pedal??
    I have had a pm's already since this thread that the REAL shredmaster is much better, but so far there has DEMO evidence of both worse and better than the original ???

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  16. Burgs

Burgs Member

Nope, not a member of the mixerman forum - never heard of it! If you're an Aussie you may have seen me perform with James Reyne, Daryl Braithwaite, Ross Wilson, Renee Geyer or any number of other 'heritage' acts. I've been around a while (too long some would say:D)

Did I build a magic pedal? Nope, stock standard Shredder, sir. I used the Fernandes (obviously) into the Shredder with the gains and EQ's set moderately, and then into my much loved '59 Bassman clone (handbuilt, PTP by Achillies in Melbourne, Australia.)

The compression is due to a couple of things:

1. My inexperience with YouTube compression algorithms and
    2. The fact that there were people in the next room who didn't appreciate the volume I really wanted to play at (so I had to keep it down). That's partially why the wet signal was softer than the dry.
    3. And..the fact that both the audio and video were received via my MacBook Pro's inbuilt mic and camera.
    This was my first attempt at YouTub'ing. I plan to do a heap more in future, of far greater quality.

I really dig the Shredder. It does it all in the 'brown' department. I have a selection of other 'browners' to compare it to (which I will also post vids for) and the Shredder competes very, very well with all of them.

The Beaver's great too. I'm actually going to build a version of it and a Univibe clone into a 1590BB box with switchable circuit order (some like their fuzz before the vibe and some after..) and a low/high impedence switch for active/passive pickups. It will see the light of day around the end of this year and will (hopefully) be available for sale around March 2009. Stay tuned. :)

17. Cary Chilton

Burger, check out the links I posted, they sound much worse!

18. Cary Chilton

Can anyone make a clip or vid of their shredmaster????