Byoc Super8... Dig it... Need cables!

m.z.

"Musician" /Gear Hoarder
Hey all! I'm looking for some low profile premade patch cables for my byoc Super8... Thing is really great! But man is space tight back there!
The little cheapos I bought from them are scary... I'm looking for PRE-MADE cables... Lowest profile possible...

Thanx guys

benjammin_

when i think lowest profile possible (and considering the super8's configuration), i'm thinking the mini ELC cables from lava.. problem is that you'll need a fair amount of cable length to wire up a whole switcher so it would not be a budget investment

deadlands

I just finished building a Super8 and wiring it up. I used Lava Solderless Mini-ELC. About all that will work are the solderless plugs or a straight soldered plug. The problem with the straight soldered plug is the amount of space they use behind the unit but they are more affordable and more reliable.

Another options is having Lava make you cables with the soldered Mini-ELC plugs. But that will be VERY expensive.

Here's my board. I used about 40 plugs and about 12' of cable.

deadlands

How are you guys liking the Super8? I've only played it at one practice and I found myself having some difficulties with the two-button pushes and also timing my effect changes with the release of the footswitchs (I'm so used to pushing for the effect to come on, not releasing). I'm just seeing if it gets easier over time.

This is also besides trying to remember what each of my programs do. I need to come up with a system to help remember those.

m.z.

"Musician" /Gear Hoarder
I have 2 full lava elc kits and before that had 2 full George L kits...
I think they're both excellent systems in their own right... But I am absolutely terrible at building these things or I just rip my board apart too many times because they always end up shorting out on me... I prefer the lava plugs... Is there a way to reinforce them? I don't think mine can be soldered because they're not the solder type, but is there anything else you can do?

@deadlands-- I'm really loving it... Had the same problem you had with timing the switching... Got used to it though... Everything becomes second nature after spending some time with it... I kind of just do a quick swipe with my foot... Similar action to how you switch regular pedals on and off... Just can't leave your foot on the switch.

As for remembering what's in your presets... I forget sometimes, but the more time I spend with it, well you know. Maybe some others can chime in on their methods?

Nice boards by the way guys! Mine is embarrassingly massive... Everyone seems to have tiny boards these days... I blame the MoogerFoogers!

Last edited:

deadlands

I have 2 full lava elc kits and before that had 2 full George L kits...
I think they're both excellent systems in their own right... But I am absolutely terrible at building these things or I just rip my board apart too many times because they always end up shorting out on me... I prefer the lava plugs... Is there a way to reinforce them? I don't think mine can be soldered because they're not the solder type, but is there anything else you can do?
I've been very successful with my Lava cable builds. When I did all the cabling for the Super8, every cable worked perfectly and I do not have to redo any of them.

My method is different than what I've seen on the videos that Lava posted. The main difference is after I put the insert thingy over the exposed wire, instead of bending the shielding over, I trim it down as close to the edge of the insert as possible. Then I strip the black shielding off as close to the same edge as possible. Then I trim the conductor about 1mm or so above the edge of the insert. After I put the plug together, I give it a nice tightening with a pair of plyers and some rubber material so I don't scratch the plug up. I've never had a bad one nor have I had a cable completely fail, I've had a few that were scratchy after unplugging them a bunch of time, but a little tightening of the plug fixed it.

I'm really loving it... Had the same problem you had with timing the switching... Got used to it though... Everything becomes second nature after spending some time with it... I kind of just do a quick swipe with my foot... Similar action to how you switch regular pedals on and off... Just can't leave your foot on the switch.
That's good to hear. Gives me a good excuse to spend more time practicing.

Right now I have a piece of paper with the presets I use for each song. Something like:
Song 1: A1, A5, A6
Song 2: A2, A4, A6, A7

I assume I'll eventually just know which ones to hit for the songs.

m.z.

"Musician" /Gear Hoarder
Yeah... I tear my board apart and rearrange pedals too much... Cables get scratchy or fail completely sometimes... I actually switched back to regular premade patch cables (the cheapo planet waves black ones)never had one go bad in 3 years or so... sound fantastic... But they cannot be used with the Super8... The ends are too bulky.

deadlands

Has anyone noticed when turning on loops in loop mode that it cuts the signal for a split second? It doesn't do this in preset mode. I want to verify with other users to make sure I'm not hearing things.

m.z. What cables did you decide on?

m.z.

"Musician" /Gear Hoarder
I haven't noticed the signal cutting out... I'll check it out later tonight...

I'm still just using the cheapo cables I got from byoc... They're super low profile work great! They actually sound good... They just scare me a bit... Feel cheaper than those little hosa cables😜

jonathansuhr

I will throw my usual recommendation of Evidence Audio SIS in. I've seen them on bands that do nationwide tours with boards thrown in the back of 15 passenger vans. Not a single messed up cable with maximum abuse, seriously. And they take about 40 seconds to make, never had a failure on the first try.

baraka2

I just finished building a Super8 and wiring it up. I used Lava Solderless Mini-ELC. About all that will work are the solderless plugs or a straight soldered plug. The problem with the straight soldered plug is the amount of space they use behind the unit but they are more affordable and more reliable.

Another options is having Lava make you cables with the soldered Mini-ELC plugs. But that will be VERY expensive.

Here's my board. I used about 40 plugs and about 12' of cable.
Do you mean that you spent a lot of more money in cables than the super8 looper? Does it make sense?

m.z.

"Musician" /Gear Hoarder
So... There are no pre-made cables that would work? That's really what I'm looking for...

vivalamigra

So... There are no pre-made cables that would work? That's really what I'm looking for...
Old thread revival. I'm sure you've found your cables by now, but this could help somebody else.

I recently assembled a Super8 kit. I used a couple sets of these Kirlin cables, plus some other various cables that I had. The 1 footers BYOC sells feel pretty cheesy in comparison. I ended up not using them. The Kirlins feel pretty solid to me.

The Kirlins are pretty thick, but the elbows were compact enough to work and they seem relatively noise free. Plus I like the colors:rockin

http://www.we-supply.com/browse.cfm/4,13837.html

Trending Topics