BYOC Trem incoming!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jimmydeez, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

It should be here today. I can't wait to put this thing together. I am heading to Home Depot at lunch to see if I can find some sorta paint to make this thing look pretty.

Any of you guys do any BYOCs recently?

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I just tried a BYOC Trem and can't quite make it work. I haven't gotten around to figuring out my particular lameness yet.

3. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I built my trem (my third kit) two weeks ago, and I love it. I've got a Fender amp with trem, but if I kick that trem in, there's a volume drop that's not very handy for live. With the BYOC, you can set the level the way you want it, and it sounds more than good enough. Easiest build so far too, the phaser and compressor are my other builds.

jan

4. Jimmydeez

Did you paint your kits? If so what did you use?

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I built the trem and I love it. I didn't paint it however. I have owned too many painted pedals that chipped like crazy. I might pilish the case some day and shoot clear all over or something, but frankly how it looks isn't much concern right now. It sounds great.

6. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i built the byoc trem about a month ago. i love it.

7. Medication

Medication Member

love the byoc stuff. I have a delay on the way.

8. Jimmydeez

Finished the PCB last night. It was easier then I thought. I hope it works.

The enclosure is drying right now. I might have time tonight to wire it up.

I can see how this is addicting.

9. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I found the PCB to be straightforward, but I had a heck of a time doing the other wiring.

10. braughwd

braughwd Member

I didn't find it quite as addicting as modifying my pedals but it's up there. I'm building a trem soon, from scratch. I just need to make the layout and a couple capacitors.

11. bduguay

bduguay Member

I just finished one of those on the weekend and I had a little problem too.
    I had the speed pot wired to the board, no worky, then I checked the PDF file and found out how the pot should be wired. Worky.
    B.

12. Jimmydeez

13. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I'm actually thinking of building one of those Phaser B.Y.O.C. pedals, just curious (same as Jimmy's unanswered question) as to how you guys who paint pedals go around doing so? I was just going to make my own thread asking this, but since it falls under the same topic anyone want to shed some light on the subject? BTW, Jimmy I noticed you are in Drexel Hill man-o, my girlfriend's Dad lives there! I live in Media and she lives in Springfield. If you don't mind and feel like hanging out once the pedal is working I'd love to see one of the B.Y.O.C.'s in person before I buy mine? Let me know man! Thanks! :)

14. Jimmydeez

I bought some Rust-oleum mettalic spray paint from Home Depot. It looks pretty cool. I then used a Silver paint pen to write some things on the face. Then I used a clear coat to protect it. I am hoping it will be dry when I get home so I can wire the box up.

15. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Check to make sure you put the 2n5457's in the right direction. I had one reversed and it took my a little while to figure it out. Switched it around and it works fine.

16. charmboy

charmboy Member

Love my BYOC TREM! My first build about a year ago. I've since built a BYOC Mighty Mouse and two General Guitar Gadgets muff clones; one green Russian one Triangle. If you're into building these kits you should check put GGG AS well. Comparable in quality to BYOC but much cheaper. Not as many kits but a few different takes than BYOC. Both great companies though and I plan to keep building kits from both.

17. III

III Member

After a year or so of owning a few unbuilt BYOC kits, I built the Tremelo about a month ago... worked first try, I was a little shocked.

The PCB was easy... the footswitch and few other wires took some patience. Static grey paint. Haven't got the decal labeling part down yet though. Fun... I can see it leading to insanity, haha.

Sounds good. Subtle, not choppy. I run it through my BF Bassman... can't wait for my Zendrive to show up anyday now to try with that setup.

I'll probably do the Large Beaver next, after re-studying a few mods - I have an old version. Maybe after that I can do a good job on the Shredder, with all it's wiring.

Anyone know a good place to get cheap boxes to store 'em in?