BYOC Tribooster (completed project w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by G'OlPeachPhan, Feb 22, 2006.

1. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Well, the buildyourownclone.com Tribooster really is as great as everyone has been saying it is! If you're gonna have one boost to do it all, this should definitely be it.

The project took me about 5 hours to complete, which includes the time it took to finish the box, which was done simply by using a wire brush on a dremel tool.

Here's a few pics from the project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one last shot of the bottom plate before I stick velcro to it to permantly adhere this keeper to my pedalboard!
    [​IMG]

2. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Very cool.Nice work.
    Now lets hear those clips :)

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

I swear by my TriBoost, had Keith build mine.

Here is a pic of the Big Tone Music Brewery TriBooster from Keith's tourbox a couple years back, and then the BYOC TriBoost he built for me. He said there is no difference between the BTMG version and the BYOC version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

has anyone tried any of the other BYOC pedals? like the tubescreamer? sounds like fun...

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

I seem to have missed all this BYOC stuff. Has anyone got a website link?

6. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

7. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I ordered one of those puppies, and a fuzz. I hope I will be getting them soon...

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

HEY! Cool looking box, my man! I'd love to have that when you're done.

9. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Looks good. I build my own circuits using perfboard but when it comes to finishing the boxes I just don't have it in me. Maybe I can send you my boxes for finishing. Otherwise my 3 year old gets to paint them what ever color he wants ( and he wants to use EVERY color).

Scott:dude

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

I've built the Ranger Clone (before he discontinued it, in fact I think I got the last kit from him). I have also built the DD-80 but I did something wrong and Keith has it now to fix my screw up. I have to wait on it too. He's working on all the pre-built stuff and orders before he'll even get to mine. He's had it a few weeks now. I'm about to start a silicon fuzz face and a tycobrahe octavia clone here in a week or so. I'm actually going to start building my own pedals, this Booteek thing has gotten outta hand.... :D (You and I both know I'll still spend big money on them though...:NUTS )

11. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Thanks for the compliments guys... I'll tell you what, this things got tons of great tones in it -- not a bad tone anywhere in the box.

Does a VERY cool exploding amp fuzz-like sound on the Silicon linear power boost mode into a tube amp!

Of course all the standard boost settings are phenomenal too.

I actually like the Germanium side just as much as my Keeley Java Boost, if not a little better; somehow it sounds thicker while also having better clarity. The Java is for sale in the Emporium now as a result.

The mosfet clean boost (amz/jack orman circuit) sounds even better than a Fat Boost to my recollection of what that pedal was like... It's a similar tone, just as fat, but with somewhat less of a congested feel to the tone. It's the same circuit, so they should sound really similar, but I wonder if the extra features on the fat boost detract from the overall tone, as it's really a simple circuit. I should have a buddy's fat boost here later today to compare it to.

Phil M - well, this one's not for sale, but it's really pretty easy to build these pedals if you take a little time to practice soldering ahead of time... The instructions and schematics are super easy to follow. That said, if you're still interested in having me assemble one of these kits for you, we could work something very reasonable out via e-mail or PM, so let me know if you're interested.

scottywompas - all you need to do that sort of finish is a rotary tool of some kind with the wire brush on it... It makes it even easier if you get one that comes with the snake attachment too so you don't have to hang out to a bulky tool when you're doing more intricate detail work. I use a black & decker version, but dremel makes the industry standard tools. What's more, is that there are a ton of uses for having a rotary tool around the house, so they're useful for far more than just pedals!

I do enjoy working on this stuff though, so if you still want me to do that finish or some other similar pattern, again, we could work something reasonable out via PM or e-mail. Although it would be really cool mojo to let your 3 year old finish it too! :D

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Looks great. :) I may have to build one so I can a/b with my TMB.
    Greg

13. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I really like what you did with that box. That's a great look. Is there a way to do that and then sort of stain the metal so it looks like colored brushed metal? I swear I've seen that somewhere.

14. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Paging Donner.

15. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I'd be interested in the staining part too... I know that's starting to get really similar to what Donner does. I had something more like a natural vintagey bronzey patina look in mind though... like a natural aged look to what I've already got there...

Though I'd like to know how to do the slick paint jobs over the top of the dremel brushed look for future project boxes too...

16. Erik

Erik Member

Here's my most recent build...the fully loaded phaser:
    [​IMG]

And my first build...the delay:

[​IMG]

17. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Erik, very awesome! How was it to work with the waterslide decals on the Kopy Kat? Was it as tough as everyone says it is to get good results (yours look great)? I had an idea drafted for decals in paintshop pro and everything, and I abandoned it for my first build because I decided I didn't want to mess with those... Any tips?

I love the theme's on both... Kopy Kat is a great name for an Echo, and "Just a Phase" is a great Incubus reference... love the way Eizinger uses phase so tastefully in all their music too.

I think my next build is going to be that delay. How do you like it? Does it really sound like it's analog? How does it compare to something like a Boss DM-3 or something along those lines?

Really what I want to do is build the deluxe version with the f/x loop so I can put a vibrato or chorus in it for modulated repeats.

The other box I've been consindering strongly is the generalguitargadgets.com PT-80, as that one is supposed to be REALLY stellar sounding for a digital mimicking analog delay. I've just been too lazy thus far to want to source all the parts for that one, as there's no kit available (though you can order a premade pcb for that project for $17, which isn't too bad). :(

This homebrew stompbox stuff is completely addictive... way quicker and cheaper to build than amps, so the instant gratification factor is very high!

18. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Erik, how did you do the lettering on the phaser?

19. jimihalen

jimihalen Active Member

Keith is building me a TriBoost right now! Waiting is the hardest part...:p

20. gururyan

gururyan Member

Are you having him paint it? I had him do mine for me by picking from his options online.