1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

BYOC Ultimate Fuzz Fave vs. Analogman NKT Sunface?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzilla, Oct 6, 2006.

1. jzilla

jzilla Member

does anyone know how the BYOC ultimate fuzz face stacks up to the analogman NKT sunface?

thanks!
    -j

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Well, I do know that the OC140 germanium transistors in the BYOC are not as revered as than the NKT-275 that Analogman uses. That will be the big difference I'd imagine.

3. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Seem that many more people belong to The Church of NKT275...

4. basscracker

basscracker Guest

all the sunfaces i have had(4 so far)have been made by the same prerson Jay A.i'm thinking he's going to know what he's doing more so than the average BOYC DIY guy.then there's the tuning & transitor matching,from someone who knows what a good fuzzface should sound like,that your not going to get with the BOYC.

i can't remeber if it was Bob Sweet or Hermida that said something like this "anybody can bulid a fuzzface,Analogman has it down to a dark art" or something like that :confused:,was along time ago i read that.

5. Lefty

Lefty Member

Here's the secret...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

You're actually going to compare a $75.00 BYOC kit to a Analogman NKT-275 $235 Sun Face? Wouldn't it be a better comparison between the BYOC and the standard Analogman Germanium?

Posts like these often perplexes me. I do not doubt that the NKT275s will sound better, but also consider that tone is a matter of opinion. The whole reason behind this post is trying to answer the real question... "will a $75 kit sound as good as Analogman's $235 Sunface?"

Ultimately, the poster is hoping that someone here will say to not buy into the voodoo of NKT275s and that the BYOC sounds just as good... so don't waste your money.

Then you have the owners of the Sun Face who did pay the $235... do you really think these guys are actually going to admit that the BYOC kit sounds just as good... even if it did?

IMO, it's a matter of taste and experience. If you have been DIYing for a while, you probably could build a pedal that would sound just as good as Analogmans. If your a newbie builder trying to find your feet... then probably not as Analogman and crew have extensive experience.

Now given both Analogman and the DIYer has pretty good experience with circuits and building pedals... I really don't think a BYOC Ultimate Fuzz pedal will sound worse or better than an Analogman Sunface. They will sounds different, and one's preferences will decide on which one is better for the individual.

I've owned a Sunface and it's a great sounding pedal, I have huge respect for Mike and crew. I also built my own BYOC Fuzz, which I personally prefer over the Analogman's.

I say get both and compare. At $75, it's not a huge barrier for entry to discover the tone of the BYOC kit... and it you were considering getting the Analogman Sunface NKT275, get it... he has a generous 48 hr return policy.

7. jzilla

jzilla Member

that's some good advice. thanks
    -j

8. s_brink

s_brink Member

My BYOC Fuzz kit just showed up on Friday. My first. I'm taking some time to design and paint the box right now. Any advice or tips you can share for a good sounding build?

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

As the picture of the tester shows, it takes equipment/experience/electronics knowledge to correctly match the transistors used in the pedal, let alone finding them, since they are pretty rare these days, the NKT-275 is a large part of the cost of that pedal, along with the whole process of finding/testing/matching them and then the other costs normally associated with building a pedal.

10. retro

retro Member

The transistors in the fuzz kit are 2- AC127's and 2- BC108's AFAIK.

Not sure where you may have seen OC140's...

Regardless the BYOC kit is socketed so it's a non issue to swap transistors.

I love my BYOC fuzz. It's a great kit, easy to build and easy to tweak and includes parts and instructions on some fuzz mods and a bias trim pot. And for me is a keeper. And I've had and tried a lot of fuzz pedals including the wonderful Sunface.

It's not that hard to find transistors with good gain range. And there is plenty of info on the net on what to look for and testing with a DMM is straightforward. And Keith will swap any transistors you may find objectionable.

But if you have no desire to build or tweak you simply can't go wrong with a Sunface. A great fuzz pedal!

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Leave any preconceptions you may have about the cost of the kit and the tone that it will generate. At $75, it's a value, but the tone it generates is worth a lot more to me.

Take your time and, most importantly, have FUN! The thing about building your own pedals is the knowledge you gain... you will never look a Fuzz or any other pedal you build the same way again. Knowledge is powerful.

12. Sarg_29

Sarg_29 Member

The transistors in the fuzz kit are 2- AC127's and 2- BC108's AFAIK.

Not sure where you may have seen OC140's...

Actually the OC140's are what Keith is advertising on his site for the Ge trannys and the BC108's for the Si trannys. AC127's maybe harder to find nowadays.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

From the BYOC website:

"The kit also comes with TWO sets of hand
    selected and matched NOS european made transistors: The silicon
    BC108 and germanium OC140. "

14. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

This is a recent change. I have been watching BYOC for a couple months now. When I started they were still advertising the AC127 for this kit. Now suddenly it is the OC140's. Availability or tone?

15. rewog

rewog Member

The gain and leakage numbers of the Germanium trannies will make more difference than the type IMO (on the BYOC kit).
    Also, having both gain numbers similar, or a mix of low and high gain, or even one Germ. and one Sil trannie, etc.
    You have to build yourself a tester if you want to play around with that.

16. jzilla

jzilla Member

17. rewog

rewog Member

Build yourself one of these if you really want to have some fun with Fuzz Face circuits:-

[​IMG]

18. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I have become intrigued with the idea of building my own fuzz. I would want to be able to voice it to my tastes. This is a basic question but is it possible to switch from germanium to silicon transistors in a fuzz face circuit without any other mods? Can I build the fuzz face and then try the BC108, NKT275, OC81, OC77 etc the way I would try out different brands of tubes in an amp or is substituting trannies similar to substituting a 5751 or 12AT7 for a 12AX7?

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Just checked out BYOC website for their Ultimate Fuzz...
    That is exactly what it is offering. Looks good to me, I was going to start with a Distortion+, but I think I'll try this instead.

20. rewog

rewog Member

Yes you can, but without knowing the gain of the transistor you're fitting, you won't really get an indication of it's characteristics.
    The gain will have a far greater affect than the characteristics of individual transistors.
    You can buy the transistors with the gain already measured - Banzai effects will sell you a specific gain component - or you will need to build a simple tester and check gain yourself.