byoc wah users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyg121, Feb 14, 2009.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

what are your thoughts on this pedal?

2. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

They're really nice. I have one and a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe and I've been strugling to decide which to keep. I've pretty much decided on the Clyde as it has a smoother less glassy high end and slightly richer midrange, but they're not far off.
    [​IMG]

3. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

i like mine a lot. Great value IMO.

I have a vox 848 clyde mccoy and I like it a lot better mostly because I can dial it in with the trimpots.

4. xntrick

xntrick Member

i have been eying over that kit as my current crybaby doesn't sound very good...

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

I've built a couple of them - one for myself and one for a friend. Great sounding wah that can be tweaked to fit any application. Best sounding wah I've ever employed.

6. drolling

drolling Member

How does the BYOC compare to the Area 51???

7. Reason

Reason Member

i have one that was built & tweaked by Jeff @ Geek Mac Daddy pedals. Not sure how far it was tweaked, but it stomps a stock Dunlop or current Vox (owned both several times each.) Never compared it to a Fulltone or Teese, but I'm not longer looking for a wah.

8. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

Necro-Wah!

I have one of these, it seems pretty good, I revived this to see if many people have these wahs, I managed to set mine to cop the wah sound on hendrix's "Up From The Skies"
    I wondered if anyone here had one and had made any improvements/upgrades to components?
    Anyone here who has one of these and also owned a Teese RMC or a Chase Tone Script?
    are they anywhere close to the tonal qualities of the big guys?

9. Tompski

10. Tompski

For anyone interested I put a Chase Tone Tru-Talk pot in my wah and it is an absolute game changer, it really gives you that vowelly juicy Hendrix wah tone. The sweep seems different and more abrupt which must help get that vowelly character, but the tone all the way through the sweep is big,warm and sweet! I also changed the resistors to Carbon Comp as an experiment, on that front I'm not sure what that did! but with this pot this wah is the best I've had.

Rogan1990 likes this.
  11. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

ChaseTone Tru-Talk pot! :aok

12. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

What kind of wah was it to start with? I'm considering doing this to my Dunlop Dimebag from Hell Wah...

how complicated was the installation?

13. Tompski

It was a crybaby chassis, if your soldering is good then its fairly simple, you solder the board matching components to their places and then a load of wires from the board to the pot, jacks, power input etc.
    Have a look at the instructions PDF On the BYOC Wah drop in kit page. It’s a bit like paint by numbers for geeky guitar dudes with soldering irons!

Rogan1990 likes this.
  14. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

Sounds like I'd be into it. I have a soldering iron but my skills are lackluster. Might grab some practice solder and pcb and then give it a go one weekend

15. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

Always wanted to try this kit out.

16. Tompski

H
    Having a good soldering iron makes all the difference , find a YouTube tutorial on technique and you’ll be fine.